Winter Boots

Wyatt Tuzo

I think there's been heaps of these kinds of discussions, so you might wanna do a search to add some information to my post

I've heard pretty good things about Sorel, from Tom Taylor here on the board, if I'm not mistaken

Don't know if you can get them in the states, but a shoe called Ecco makes a very good light Gore Tex shoe..

These are probably an updated version of what I use:

http://us.shop.ecco.com/ECCO-Mens-BIOM-Hike-1.2/811504,default,pd.html?dwvar_811504_color=52570&dwvar_811504_size=40#cgid=sport-men-experiencebiom-outdoor

But the secret to staying warm is the SOCKS. You have to have woolen socks (or bamboo socks) that doesn't make the foot perspirate. Polyester and cotton gets wet from the sweat, and then the sweat gets cold.

Our sports and "nature" shops sell thousands of these "function socks" that are made from either Merino wool or regular wool. Get a good pair of thin wool socks and a thick pair of like skiing socks. That does the trick for me. And also remember to breathe the feet, I.e taking the shoes off after some hours of use. The toes and most of the foot need to be free to move inside the shoe also, otherwise the circulation gets bad.

Jackets, pants and boots are good, but the secret to STAYING warm is having lots and lots of layers of clothes. And not sweating under that.. challenging..

But I prefer working in the cold over working in extreme heat.

I have a pair of North face Chilkat II boots:

www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/mens-footwear-filter-category-boots/mens-chilkat-ii-boot.html

A hundred of your finest US dollars would be very well spent. I have been working in deep mud over the past week and the warmth and dryness without undue weight has been a godsend.

Tim

Another vote here for Sorel. They are fantastic winter boots and not expensive for the level of quality. I've worn them in -30ish (Celcius) temperatures up here in Canada and been fine. They have the temperature ratings for their boots on the website so you can see what will suit you. They're are a few rated down to -75 Celcius if you really want to be toasty!

Also keep in mind that whatever boot you choose, you can take one size larger and add a ''felt'n'chrome'' sole at the bottom. The best upgrade you can do with something you already have also.

The usual culprit with boots is cold coming from the ground.

Otherwise: Sorel, some Keen winter boots, but you can't go wrong with Sorels...canajun sasquatches use'em since decades.

Thank's to all. I have been eyeing the Sorrels, so It's nice to get confirmation on those. I'll look into the "felt and chrome" suggestion. I have plenty of rain and winter gear (including Neo's), but I've never taken the plunge on seriously warm shoes/boots. I think this is looking like the season to do so. I'm looking forward to having warm toes, once and for all.

Yet another vote for the Sorels. I have these; http://www.sorel.com...default,pd.html

Very resonably priced. I've spent some time in the Arctic with them. They're big and a bit clunky, so I don't drive with them on, but they'll keep your feet dry and warm all day. The felt liners really soak up the sweat, so remove them after each day to air dry them. As Pierre mentionned, the key is getting away from the cold ground, and the Sorels thick soles and liners do that very well.

I'm a fan of these 5.11 Tactical boots that police wear: http://www.lapolicegear.com/footwear.html

Very warm and comfortable--something like a tennis shoe and combat boot combined. Bought mine for around $90 from an army surplus store and use them as often as I do in the desert as I do in the city. Plus they come with a storage pocket designed for small pocket knives if you're into that sort of thing.

I've spent many a night out in the snow and cold.

Good boots is a good start. Sorels or Baffins are good.

But the best money I've spent in keeping my feet warm are these: http://www.cabelas.com/mens-hunting-socks-cabelas-battery-heated-boot-socks-1.shtml

They don't create intense amounts of heat, but just enough to keep your feet warm without getting too hot and creating a bigger problem by making your feet sweat.

you go through a set of C cells a day, but well worth it. I keep toying with the idea of hooking them up to some NPF style batteries ! LOL. That would crank up the heat.

stay away from the columbia titanium series.....i bought of pair, and while they do keep my feet dry....even though they claim they are for cold weather, my feet freeze in them.....I've tried various types of socks and no improvement when it comes to warmth...and my columbia titanium jacket isn't so good either when it comes to warmth, even with the liner in...

i now looking to get some Sorels....

Yup, Sorel... had a pair of Caribous that lasted about 20 years... finally replaced them with Conquest (like 7 or 8 years ago?)... they'll probably last the rest of my life -- super warm, room for big socks. Living in the PacNW since '85, and most people I know swear by their Sorels. If I ever do get another pair -- Intrepids look nice.

~tt

Incidentally, a great trick I learned for keeping feet warm in below freezing (often sub-zero) EXT's... get those little hand warmers (NOT the foot warmers - they're too big) and put them in your boots ON TOP of your toes -- I know this seems counter-intuitive, but they work better (and they're more comfortable) when they're on top of your toes (between sock and boot)... and the hand-warmers seem to work better for this than the foot warmers.

(I've done more NW Winter Night EXT's than I care to remember)

;)

~tt