Lectro 411a Multi

chris_bollard

A general question to the power RF users

I'm after real user feedback about the Lectro VR Field system - or antenna split system for multiple 411a receivers in over the shoulder bag system

I have a  set up with 3X four 411a receivers (block 28) in an over the shoulder bag configuration. I want to increase the range at certain events and was wondering what members experiences are with the VR Field - ie, extra range. Or if anyone has tried a split dipole/sharkfin system with 4 receivers with an in-the-bag setup. Or anything else..... that has better distance results

Thnks

Chris B

I have both 411a and an VRF.

The main advantage is to have the antennas higher than people and equipment or other obstacles.

I use the VRF on my cart normally but sometimes I have to take it apart with my Deva to go somewhere the cart can't. Then I tape the cable antennas that come with the VRF to the top of the bag wich is perpendicular to the floor/ground and works well.

Using a mast on the cart and two dipole antennas I have spectacular range using UM400 and SMD transmitters.

I find the VRF great but I think it should have:

-a dual NP1 bay

-LEDs to indicate that each NP1 will die soon

-connectors on the side/s not on the back (I would be happy with 3 x XLR5 and the antenna input on one side and the antenna output and power input on the other side.

-external power should be able to be used simultaneously and have both the small connector and an XLR4

Then it would be the best, not only great.

When I take the VRF to a bag the antenna cables suffer. The audio cables too but you may use right angled connectors. But BNC are weak (in fact I hate them) Also all connectors in the back are portruding wich is less than ideal.

Otherwise is the best available in my opinion. Both Lectro wireless systems and the VRF as a compact package.

Hey Chris, I've not had much experience the Field VRs as I was never happy with their size, but I do have a bag with multiple 411a's that I often use with the dipole antennas. If you use a splitter the result is about 3db of signal degradation per splitter. I have found that the range is slightly increased using the dipoles with the best results being achieved by placing the antennas as high as possible (usually out of the bag) —not much use if you need to move around. As for shark fins I have 2 sets that I use with my rack mount Venues and they have quite good range. The powered 650 antennas in particular are very good and have substantial range. So if you need range out of your system, and you can mount the antennas and have power to supply the 650's then that is the way to go, but the whole point of a bag system is to be mobile, so I'm not sure if there is much point in using the fins unless you absolutely need the range and can forego the mobility.

Hope that helps.

Guest afewmoreyears

Your either out of a bag, on a cart or have a permanent location....

If you are out of the bag, ENG style....  get as close as you can....  on a cart you MAY be able to use shark fins, di-poles and the like...  (don't care for either too much)..

A permanent or fixed location you can do some trick stuff... 

But in the end we're all slaves to location and how good our reception is because of it....

I have been just outside of Long Beach airport, with the tiny whips and had perfect reception 1/2 a mile away.....  I've also been on sets where the signal struggled with 50'......  Location, location, location.....

Again,  out of your bag, get close!!!!

As for the shark fin.... what would you do, strap it to your head?...:)

Thanks for everyone's input.

The comments on the VR Field size and placement of connectors is really helpful -- out here in Australia NO ONE has them is stock -- So I can't have a look at one - for sale or hire. Unfortunately I was working when SMPTE was on and couldn't get to have a look at what was on offer there.

I appreciate that when in the bag "you need to get as close as possible" --- but sometimes you just can't do that -- when it's a "live" event and there are 6 roving cameras, 2 cameras on cranes and a 3rd up a 150m tower! and the producers want ALL the audio recorded from 16 participants from an area covering the Olympic athletics field.

Has anyone run the VR system successfully in a situation like this? And am I mad even thinking that an in the bag - using sharkfin (or whatever) antenna into a splitter/amp to feed four 411a's - might work.

These producer's what the option of recording ALL the sound from everyone ALL the time. Situations like this - and just as crazy - in surf boats, in and out of the water and then 500m (2/3 miles) up the beach!

Thanks to all on the forum

Chris B

Chris,

I setup wireless parabolic dishes for the San Diego Chargers home football games for 3 years. here is what audio equpiment was used: (won't list the dish) this is  1/2,won't bore you with the other stuff, just the rf.

UCR 411  rcvrs-one side the standard whip antenna, the other side with a 10' bnc attatched to a lectro dipole antenna. (clip it to your harness.)

probably the most important for the "coverage" you are describing, is

high power tx's or UM 450 1/4 wt.

we had the 1/4 wt tx's on the other side (visitors) and the rercvrs up in the press box on the "home field" side and they picked up perfectly with the set up listed above.

btw,

Graham Hicks still have a shop in "the land down under" try THE PRODUCTION SHOP/ he tends to stock lectro.

good luck,