Free Electricity

Jeff Wexler

Well, not exactly free as we all know, but how wonderful it is to see these solar panels, pulled out of their boxes and as soon as exposed to the light are producing electricity. Our solar installation is complete except for all the necessary inspections, and we threw the switch once today just to watch the SCE meter run backwards. The panels are producing more electricity than we need so we were drawing ZERO from the utility company. In case anyone might be doing any armchair calculations, not all the panels are visible in this photo --- there are panels on the other side of the garage roof (reverse angle, of course, not too pretty to look at from the alley).

post-1-0-07611200-1352851871_thumb.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My system is a leased system so the actual payback is difficult or impossible to calculate --- actually, it doesn't really matter to me at all. I think that all the calculations and economic feasibility, number of years until it's paid for, etc., are just not factors for my decision. The lease was no money up front, no installation cost, all permitting and red tape handled by GCI (the solar company) and the have a performance guarantee that is monitored daily via Internet connection. So, the moment we go live, I'm saving money every month. The lease payment per month is lower than any of our Edison bills have typically been and Edison has "promised" to be raising the rates in the future so we should be in even better shape as time goes on.

Unfortunately I cannot get permits for solar panels, because my roof sections are too small, and code requires more space around panels for fire fighter access. Whatever!

But the company I was going to use was similar to Jeff's. They review your bills and the panel layout plan. Then they take over your electric bill and sell you power at a reduced rate. You save money and protect the environment. They pay all upfront costs and they profit by selling you power your panels are producing.

Everyone wins. Except Edison and the oil/coal companies, I guess.

This is particularly ideal if you feel you might not be in your house long enough for it to "pay off". Although I imagine solar would pay for itself in added value to the home if you do sell.

do they give you a negative balance on your bill?

Do you have batteries?

No on site storage (batteries) --- this is on grid/off grid system. During the day, the system is typically producing more electricity than the demand and the excess electricity is going back to Edison and is credited in some fashion. At night when the panels are not producing anything, whatever demand is made (typically low demand at night, lights off, no activity, etc.) is pulled from "the grid" (Edison, the power company). Since this is non-peak time the rates are a the lowest. Edison still issues a bill every month but it can typically be zero due. The only time there might be any significant charge from Edison would be if there were some unusual nighttime activity or demand that exceeded the estimated usage.

Al the terms and conditions regarding the lease are spelled out, all the exit strategies, purchase options, who owns the equipment, etc., and it is a little complex. Simple answer is that the lease has to be be in effect for 3 years minimum before anything can change. When you decide to move (sell the house), the lease can be assumed by the new owner. There is still a debate as to whether the solar installation is to be considered an asset or a liability when you go to sell your house. In my mind, most every potential buyer would consider the solar installation an asset --- their utility bill will be so substantially lower than a comparable house without (their monthly expense is totally stable and would only change if they decided to start running a lot of power tools in the middle of the night).

After 6 years of the lease (it is a 25 year lease) you can purchase the system and own it outright. If you owned it outright, when you went to sell you could just factor in the solar installation into the purchase price and the new owner is assured that they will have essentially a zero utility bill. There are lots of other things to consider but all in all I'm not too worried about the various exit scenarios.

I recall Billy Sarokin commenting on his solar power system and his electric bill for three months was something like $10. I'm sure I have the time & dollars wrong but it was impressive.

Eric

Last month was the first electric bill I paid since last March. It was 42 cents. Just got my bill for Oct 11-Nov 11. It was up to $35. I'll pay for electric, about 1/3 the usual cost, until late January, then I'll be in negative territory again until next October. This is cloudy/stormy New York. I'd be doing even better if I were in sunny southern CA!

btw, I don't know if it's available in CA, but my little utility in Northern New Mexico, Kit Carson Electric, has a great new program. They built a few solar farms out in the desert and individuals can buy panels in the farm and you receive the full output of that panel. It's a great deal. They provide financing and the panels are in optimal locations AND even though panels have a 25 year life, they will maintain them and replace them for 50 years. I have a condo in Taos that has tree coverage so it's not suitable for solar. So I'm going to buy 20 panels in one of the farms. It's a great concept. I hope the idea spreads.

Fantastic, I love it!

Sad that "The Sunshine State" doesn't have anything like either the solar farm (a great idea) or these lease-to-own setups... I'd SO do that on my parent's house. Their electric bill is about $140 a month, and that is with the AC at like 78 during the day. Florida is just too dang hot.

Well. It's different story here. Called "New bank business". Because the banks here don't give money for loans (personal, small business, credit cards etc) the philosophy of bank is one: If the bank sell the money (loans) for 1 euro (example) they will get the money back for 5 euro. That mean now they don't sell the money for loans but for Solar energy. First of all if you like to put Solar system for your house you will need to go the bank. So that mean again the bank it's the winner again. Always? Of course. But now it's different. Because the bank they don't sell money for loans, sell the solar systems. And put the profile in population "Green bank" and other idiot lines.

I don't know about the Solar system in USA but here behind the Solar system it's the bankers. It's the new business for the bankers. And no one like to go the bank and get AGAIN loan for solar system now. Of course I agree with the solar system. Especially in Greece. We have November and the sun is here. Every day. It's the right place to put solar system but... But the banks. And you don't have the help from political community. Why? Because the bankers it's the boss for political parties.

The solar system it's the future. But not is in this way.

btw, I don't know if it's available in CA, but my little utility in Northern New Mexico, Kit Carson Electric, has a great new program. They built a few solar farms out in the desert and individuals can buy panels in the farm and you receive the full output of that panel. It's a great deal. They provide financing and the panels are in optimal locations AND even though panels have a 25 year life, they will maintain them and replace them for 50 years. I have a condo in Taos that has tree coverage so it's not suitable for solar. So I'm going to buy 20 panels in one of the farms. It's a great concept. I hope the idea spreads.

This is fantastic! A sort of blending of local and centralized power distribution --- not local in that the panels are not on your property, but centralized by the solar panels located away from your home and maintained by the utility company. This is quite progressive. I have to admit there was something almost spiritual the way I felt when the solar panels came out of the box and saw the sun, then went to work right away producing electricity!

They really should be on every roof. And while you are at it, check out solar thermal (hot water) systems. Usually 2-3 panels can supply all the hot water needs for the average family. It's much less expensive than solar electric and more bang for the buck. Looks like you have space for 2 more panels on your roof :-)

There are so many neat things that could be done with solar particularly with new construction. If as a nation we could have the same level of commitment and allocation of resources as we do to other things, like waging war or electing the President, the rapid move to sustainable power sources would go a long way in providing real national security.

Take look at just one image of new house where the roof material IS the solar panel array. It can be done. A combination of local electricity generated by your own home and assistance from some centralized source makes perfect sense.

post-1-0-73794200-1352905260_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-92265300-1352905405_thumb.jpg

If as a nation we could have the same level of commitment and allocation of resources as we do to other things, like waging war or electing the President, the rapid move to sustainable power sources would go a long way in providing real national security.

A friend in Madison, Wisconsin recently upgraded his solar panels and now fully powers his electric Nissan Leaf with the electricity they generate. And there's power left over for his house.

Jeff, congratulations on your new panels.