Free Electricity

Jeff Wexler

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've had a 4KW solar array on our house for about 5 years now and we incorporated it into a remodel.

By far easiest thing to do in the entire pursuit.

Our roof is very broken up so we ended up building an aluminum platform that spanned two peaks. You can't even see it from the front of the house.

LA DWP made it easy, had rebates, contractors etc set up. It was very dialed in.

We now pay very little if any bill due on our electric bill.

But aside from the cost factor, which I feel people wrongly over-focus on, the furthering of usage of the sun as a power source and the incorporation and power generated from a non-poluting source is even more important.

Folks seem to like to talk about the bills and numbers a lot rather than how they aren't ruining our planet. Most guys seem to think that's too soft and squishy.

Then again, were people really interested in saving money they wouldn't be rolling around in all those leased ego/realtor cars and be buying all that gear they rarely even use to impress their friends. YMMV.

Scott Harber CAS

But aside from the cost factor, which I feel people wrongly over-focus on, the furthering of usage of the sun as a power source and the incorporation and power generated from a non-poluting source is even more important.

Folks seem to like to talk about the bills and numbers a lot rather than how they aren't ruining our planet. Most guys seem to think that's too soft and squishy.

Scott Harber CAS

Count me in as one of the "squishy" ones --- the whole "not ruining the planet" part has been the MOST important thing for me.

All this "clean energy" stuff worries me. For example, a couple years ago, In The Know looked into underreported concerns with wind turbines and solar. A compelling 2:30 report:

Hey, Jim, that has got to be a joke, right? The Coal Industry sponsored "study" (and I use the term with no respect whatsoever) convinced that if we build some turbines we are going to throw the earth out of orbit? Did this same group of "scientists" conclude that Global Warming has little or no affect on our planet? I did hear that there was a study that concluded that all this discussion of CO2 is just a lot of crap... actually, the statement was that we have had cycles of global warming all the way back to the dinosaur age (can you just imagine the amount of CO2 generated when T-Rex cuts a fart).

" if we build some turbines we are going to throw the earth out of orbit? "

not if we're careful which way they are pointing..

we'll need to set up a Federal Agency to regulate them so that there is an equal and opposite amount of spinning!.

of course we'll have to tax the wind energy to pay for this necessary federal regulation.

I wish we could put up solar panels. Our HOA is run by a bunch of ninnies that won't allow us to do anything. I wanted to do it in Vegas, but there weren't any local companies that could do it. I've been wanting to go solar since Gary Holland talked to me about it years ago. It just makes too much sense. I think the deal Billy has going on in New Mexico is stellar, and other utility companies should follow that lead. I know that here in California, the California Air Resources Board has mandated that a certain percentage of energy come from renewable sources. Well, Billy's example is a great solution, and rates would actually drop, instead of increase like they are currently projected to do. Good on you you, Jeff for doing this. You need to have Bill Nye and Ed Begley Jr. over for a solar panel party.

Hey Dave,

Here's a link to the Kit Carson Electric site.

http://www.kcecsolar.com/learn.aspx

I just closed today on a 20 panel deal. The unit in Taos is in a condo and is shaded, so I went with the off site solar farm Kit Carson Electric built. Here are the specs of the deal, and from application to closing took 2 weeks.

Each 240 watt panel cost $845 (that includes all the infrastructure, maintenance, inverters, wiring, permits etc). It also factors in the Federal tax credit. So the total cost for the 20 panels was $16,900. I paid 10% cash ($1690) and they arranged financing at 5% for 10 years for the balance. Monthly payments will be $160 and monthly savings (at current utility rates) will be approx $140. So for a while, to save the planet, will cost me $20/month. The beauty of this deal is that it is for 50 years. Solar Cells drop in output approx 1%/year and are usually replaced after 25 years. Kit Carson will replace these cells at least once over the life of the deal, so my grand children will still be benefiting from my $20/month in the year 2062. If you're in Vegas run the Kit Carson plan by your local utility.

Is this a private company or a public utility? If it is public, then the california legislature needs to know about this.

Kit Carson Electric is a member owned electric co-op that serves most of north central New Mexico, including Taos. I'm not sure of the role Clean Energy Collective plays. Kit Carson built the solar farm (the first of 3 they are planning, but it is such a good idea I'm sure it will grow), and Kit Carson runs the farm and allots the solar output to the individual owners (who have to be Kit Carson customers). I think CEC markets the idea and runs the application process and financing. Let's say the farm has 1000 panels and I own 20, KIt Carson will credit my existing account with 2% of the total output of the farm for the next 50 years. If I move or build another home in the Kit Carson area they would just transfer my credit to the new account. If I left the area I would have to sell my share in the farm on my own (or more likely work it into the price of my property when I sell it).

I think this is a great idea. I have solar on my main residence and a rental I own and this is by far the least expensive, simplest and most efficient way to go. I would start pushing utilities, municipalities and even big box stores with huge roof and parking areas to copy this example.

While I feel for the coal miners in West Virginia, wider implementation of solar PV can eliminate the need for burning coal in our utility grid and eliminate the highly destructive and dangerous mountain top mining in the Appalachian Mountains.

Simple question, Billy, who handles the distribution of the electricity from the solar farm (portion) that you own? How does the power get to your house?

The Power utility, Kit Carson electric feeds the output of the farm into it's grid. Each individual owner gets credited in kWh for their share of that total output on their electric bill. So, for instance, if I use 1000 kWh on a particular month at my home but my share of the farm is 800 kwh, I am only charged for 200 kWh on my bill. If I create more than I use (this particular studio has electric heat, so Nov-Feb I'll probably use more than I'm credited for), than the excess power builds up as a credit on my bill. It's sort of like the dollar you deposit in the bank isn't the same one you withdraw but a dollar is a dollar is a dollar....

• 3 weeks later...

We found a local company that sold and installed our 24 panels. $25 K up front but with SRP (power company) rebate and Fed and State tax credits actual out of pocket is 17,500. We believe our average bill of $175 a month will be eliminated except for the shorter daylight months in the winter. That's around an 8 year payback. We own the panels, can sell them w/ the house, and they have a 25 year warrenty.

The leasing option would have cost a little more and we would not have gotten any of the rebates or tax credits, leaving our costs at the $25K mark instead of our current $17,500.00 Long ago my accountant told me it always cost a little more to use some one else's money. The leases are very popular. We got bids from Solar City in Phoenix and Sungevity in Oakland, but owning seemed to be a better investment.

Our final inspection is today. Power company still has to inspect and commission our system before we can throw that switch but we're really excited to be this far with the project.

This is awesome to read about. Do you guys use electricity for heat, cooking, hot water, clothes dryer? I realize you don't have the heating requirements that some people do, but the other things add up. If I was gutting a building and making a house in Philly, I would definitely look into a combination of geothermal and (solar) electric heating/cooling.

This is awesome to read about. Do you guys use electricity for heat, cooking, hot water, clothes dryer?

In my case, located in Santa Monica, CA, we don't have any central air conditioning so we run a few fans in the heat of the summer. In the winter months, mostly gas fired floor heater and a few electric heaters. Cooking, hot water and clothes dryer are all gas.

"PTO" = Permission to Turn On from SCE. I got very worried when the whole installation was finished, the panels were doing their thing, and we had to wait for the Utility company. Fortunately it didn't take too long and they gave us the PTO a week ago (over the phone actually, didn't have to come out to the house at all).