Free Electricity

Jeff Wexler

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I closed on my new system in New Mexico last week. I bought 20 panels in a 420 panel solar 'farm' the the local utility installed in a car port at a local public school. My share of the output of the farm is credited towards my electric bill for a property I own in Taos. It's gone from being a good business decision to a great one. I hope this format takes off. It's a great idea.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish we could put up solar panels. Our HOA is run by a bunch of ninnies that won't allow us to do anything. I wanted to do it in Vegas, but there weren't any local companies that could do it. I've been wanting to go solar since Gary Holland talked to me about it years ago. It just makes too much sense. I think the deal Billy has going on in New Mexico is stellar, and other utility companies should follow that lead. I know that here in California, the California Air Resources Board has mandated that a certain percentage of energy come from renewable sources. Well, Billy's example is a great solution, and rates would actually drop, instead of increase like they are currently projected to do. Good on you you, Jeff for doing this. You need to have Bill Nye and Ed Begley Jr. over for a solar panel party.

Hi Dave,

Have your HOA managemnet company check the latest CA laws on this. From what I understand, HOA's cannot stop the installation of solar power in CA as of about 1 year ago. I am the president of an industrial building association and that is my understanding of the new law.

Ron Meyer

PSC

this bonus tax cut from the fiscal cliff, cliffhanger:

" Another $64 billion would go to renew tax breaks for businesses and for renewable energy purposes, like tax credits for energy-efficient appliances. "

Tax incentives for alternative energyhave been incredibly successful. They've accomplished everything a tax incentive should. They got a new technology off the ground. Installations of solar have sky rocketed and costs have plummeted. As the costs have dropped the incentives have dropped (mostly at the state level) but installations have continued to climb in spite of the bad economy.

Have your HOAs contact the Clean Energy Collective out of Boulder Colorado. They put together the solar farms. The HOA can install new roofs and solar panels and then sell the panels to local HOA members. The HOA would get a modest profit and some monthly income while the homeowners who buy the panels get the credit for the power produced by their panels.

http://www.easycleanenergy.com/

Billy Sarokin

Are you guys using monocrystalline, polycrystalline, or nano-cone solar cells? And were there large cost differences between the three?

Didn't know nano cells were out yet. Not sure if the other cells are mono or poly. I'm only aware of the silicon and non-silicone (First Solar) cells. Silicone are cheaper and more environmentally firendly to manufacture and dispose of. The First Solar cells use some toxic materials. Cells on my first unit in Taos are Evergreen 185's, On my home in NY they are Sunpower 225s and the new system in Taos via the solar farm are a mixture of different manufacturers using 240 watt panels. In the 6 years since I first started doing this, the cells went from 185 watts to 240 watts for the same size and prices per cell have dropped more than 50%.

I've been looking at alternative energy for the home for several years now. Always finding some sort of new technology on the horizon, and holding out. The Nano-cone solar cells, developed early 2011, look very appealing, and if they are not available yet, I'll keep waiting. Oh well, perhaps they are getting closer to commercial viability.

http://www.ornl.gov/info/press_releases/get_press_release.cfm?ReleaseNumber=mr20110429-00

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This thread is fairly old but it seems like the right place for installation stories. I had a 10kW array put on the house back in June of 2013 and after paper work that outweighed the array, it was turned on 20 July 2013. I have kept records for a year and we have generated 16,375 kWh over that year in very sunny New Mexico. After one year, the net was 623 kWh excess generation. The array generated 104% of the demand.

Avoided cost of the 16 MW hours was about $2600/yr with a power company rebate of 4 cents/kWh amounting to $655/yr. This is a payoff of 10 years given state and federal tax credits. Without the credits, the payoff would be 16 years. YMMV but if array prices keep dropping, the payoff would be quicker.

The other interesting thing was, while up on the roof, I looked around the neighborhood and could see about 15 other solar arrays within half a mile. There is a lot of sun out here.

Best Regards,
Larry Fisher