Free Electricity

Jeff Wexler

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard that theory (from Republican "scientists") that there is only so much the sun can put out and if we collect it with all these solar arrays there might not be any more sunlight left for all the other purposes.

See, it must be true because I read it on the Internet.

Two things I just found by researching:

SCE - Southern California Edison has used up all it's incentive budget - so you get nothing from them for Solar installation.

The Federal Tax Rebate of 30% is good through the end of 2016, and includes installation cost. (unlike other home energy efficiency rebates, which are materials only)

In southern California, there are a bunch of companies being aggressive (direct phone calls) in pushing Solar leases - they own the equipment, get the tax rebate and all the income from generated power, but you pay a reduced electric rate for all your consumption from that point on.   It's a complicated formula to know if it's worth it.    With system costs coming down with newer PV technology, I think it's safe to wait a bit.   My main concern is what happens if you need to do roof work - you don't own the equipment that sits in between you and your roof, so can you touch it?

Two things I just found by researching:

SCE - Southern California Edison has used up all it's incentive budget - so you get nothing from them for Solar installation.

The Federal Tax Rebate of 30% is good through the end of 2016, and includes installation cost. (unlike other home energy efficiency rebates, which are materials only)

In southern California, there are a bunch of companies being aggressive (direct phone calls) in pushing Solar leases - they own the equipment, get the tax rebate and all the income from generated power, but you pay a reduced electric rate for all your consumption from that point on.   It's a complicated formula to know if it's worth it.    With system costs coming down with newer PV technology, I think it's safe to wait a bit.   My main concern is what happens if you need to do roof work - you don't own the equipment that sits in between you and your roof, so can you touch it?

And since the voltages involved are 300+ Volts at 10 to 30 Amps, you may not want to touch it. Roof work is definitely going to involve the installer.

Best,

Larry F

Good advice is do the roof work first. If you've been putting off replacing your roof, don't install solar. I installed it on a 50+ year concrete shingle roof that was 15 years old, so I figure I've got some time to plan my repairs.

I'm not a fan of the leasing strategy. I think it's better to finance a purchase if you need to, but that's equal parts philosophical choice and financial calculation. If you end up selling your home, the solar system adds it's value to your home only if you own it.

Bud.

We bought in with a 4kW array in 2008 when there was a newly started incentive via DWP in LA. At the time, you had to go through one of their approved contractors who were on the expensive side, but we ended getting  a little more than half of the cost rebated along with the tax incentives that came later.

So easy, non-intrusive, and I feel like I'm helping this useful technology get implemented rather than standing buy the sidelines doing math and figuring out the break even point of my investment. 

Newer panels are cheaper, more efficient and generally better but I've been not polluting or paying much of anything for electricity for a good while now.

One of the best decisions, other than marrying my wife, that I've ever made.

Scott,