rf mics on football players

chrisnewton

I know this topic has been covered here before, but i couldn't find it in the search function. I need to wire an on field football player for a doc type program this weekend (CFL Eastern final). I need to wire him before the game and probably won't have a chance to adjust at half time. Plan to attach TX (probably Lectro SM) inside the rear of shoulder pads with some additional padding on pack. B6 on front of pads at sternum. Lots of tape. Any advice/ experiences welcome.

Chris Newton

Hey Chris,

Here's a JWS thread from a few years ago:

BTW- I found it by entering these search terms on Google:

football site:jwsoundgroup.net

Searching on Google and restricting the search to just jwsoundgroup.net tends to give better results than the built-in search here.

There's also this 2007 press release from Lectrosonics about how NFL Films uses their transmitters. The article doesn't appear to be on Lectro's site anymore. But here's a posting of it:

http://proaudioguide.com/news/index.php?s1=7&s2=500&id=17430&go=news_detail

There's a good description on that page. Pay attention to all the details they mention (such as the foam) and it should help a lot.

There are several different types of pads and each has its own challenges. Remember that the front of the pads is where the buckles are located. If they're articulated pads, make sure that anything you do doesn't interfere with their movement.

Foot foam and gaffer's tape will be your best friends.

Hey Chris,

I did a TSN series on The Argos last year, and we wired players for every game. In actual fact though, the equipment manager did the actual wiring of the uniform. They attach the transmitter to the back of the shoulder pads between the foam sections, and the mics were taped to the front of the jersey with gaffer tape and foam hush lav type sleeve. We used EMW lavs for the series...still pretty water/sweat resistant, but much more robust cable for the beating it takes during a game. The key is making sure all is ready before the game, as the players put on the jersey and shoulder pads as one unit, not seperately. Not sure what player(s) you're wiring, but if it's one of the Argos, Danny Webb is the guy who will help you out. Hope this helps...

Hey Chris,

Sounds like the same gig I did for TSN last year. Road to the cup, or something like that.

As Micheal Kennedy stated, I was given the mic by TSN (with pre-coordinated freq's) and then I gave it to the equipment manager. He took care of the rest.

He did a really good job. Sounded great. and the range of the Sennheiser was really impressive. Could hear him all over the field and in to the locker room.

The sound you hear when two players collide is awesome !!

Ironically, non of what we recorded that year got used because the team we were following got eliminated.

just got back from the game. things went very well, the SK5212 worked great. Ran the whole game and then some with 1 AA lithium. the unit was attached to the pads by the Toronto Argonauts equipment guy (Danny Webb- thanks Michael) and did a very fine job. they used a plastic zip tie and some military grade gaffer's tape I brought (thanks Don). Our player was incredibly LOUD. I set up the gain by shouting into the mic (MKE2), but this guy could still top it out when he barked out orders. And such language! my momma would have been shocked. pretty cool when he'd smack into somebody- BAM! had my 416 on the second channel, but was pretty much useless in the bigtime noise at Olympic stadium. dropped the 7506s early on for Shure in-ears. brought out the 816 for player reactions etc. and got the occasional OK clip, but it was still freakin' loud in there with 60,000 Montreal fans. By the way, the Argos won.