settings for TRX990LT recording and how to retrieve

bendybones

I will be recording a performance this Saturday where both of my TRX900LTs are fairly certain to go out of range during performance, and stay out of range for a considerable time.

It is approx a one hour performance with no stoppages and no possibility for interruptions (don't ask).

I would like to have the portion that will be recorded to microSD due to dropout (the middle) be synced up automatically with the audio that I have recorded on the Nomad (ie the start and end of the performance).

Is this possible?

If so, what are the steps for achieving this? I can't seem to find it in the manual.

Also, should I choose AutoJam or AutoLoad on TRXs and Nomad?

I will be hitting record once when both performers (on separate boats) are in range and hitting stop when they come back to shore.

What other settings should I be careful to choose/avoid for this unusual and risk-riddled task to ensure that TRXs definitely record, and do so in a way that i can sync them back up with Nomad material?

Many Thanks

What receiver are you using? If you are using a QRX then when everything is setup and you hit record on the nomad, you will see a "R" next to each transmitter on the QRX display that means they are in Record, and they will continue to record until you hit stop on the Nomad, or stop them manually on the TX. They will have the same timecode stamp as your nomad, so when you download the cards from the TX they will be easy to sync.

You want your nomad to be set to AutoLoad, and your TX to be set to AutoLoad.

assuming you have a nomad with zaxnet built in.

everything should be free run.

trx should be set to auto jam. the trx should go in to record when powered up with a card already inserted.

trx and nomad should be set to the same group code and ifb frequency.

nomad should be set to transmit mode.

i dont recommend slaving the zaxnet transport to your nomad, because if the trx is out of range when you start the recording, it may not go in to record. better to check the timecode of your nomad files at the start of your recording and set that as your start TC in zaxnet when you export the files.

you can check whilst prepping that you are receiving timecode by looking at the timecode or lock page of the trx.

chase. i recommend auto jam as it doesnt need to see incoming timecode to stay in record. in auto load, when the trx loses its zaxnet signal it will stop recording.

good point about the R on the receiver display. note that the older ENG receivers will also show and R when the tx is recording.

chase. i recommend auto jam as it doesnt need to see incoming timecode to stay in record. in auto load, when the trx loses its zaxnet signal it will stop recording.

good point about the R on the receiver display. note that the older ENG receivers will also show and R when the tx is recording.

Thanks for clearing that up. I have always used Auto Load, and have had the transmitters go out of range but come back still rolling regardless. Perhaps a bug? Either way good to know!

I know for a fact that while in auto load in zaxnet on nomad as well as auto load on the transmitter that the transmitter will continue to record while out of range.

I use autoload exclusively for both pieces of equipment. It's also recommended per the trx manual -

While you are controlling the unit‟s recorder using ZaxNet, or directly from the IFB100, you

would be wise to use AUTO-LOAD here. If it becomes necessary to make changes using the unit‟s menu

buttons, the mere act of scrolling past the Transport Control page {p.33}, will immediately put it in

RECORD mode and unless you are watching the LED indicator, you won‟t have visual confirmation until you

return to the Pacifier page {p.31}.

UPDATE: There is an updated walk-through on the Zaxcom Nomad forum: http://www.zaxcom.com/forum/showthread.php?16810-How-to-setup-Zaxnet-with-your-Nomad-and-a-TRX-transmitter

I will try to walk you through the complete setup.

Settings on your Nomad:
Menu -> Zaxnet ->
IFB MODE = TX
TX CHANNEL = select a frequency and remember it
GROUP CODE = select a number and remember it
IFB JAM MODE = AUTOLOAD
TX POWER = 7
TRANSPORT CMD = SLAVED

Settings on your TRX-900LT
Extended Menu ->
IFB FORMAT -> HIGH Q
IFB FREQ -> enter the TX CHANNEL setting from the Nomad
TC JAM MODE -> MANUAL
TC SOURCE -> IFB
GROUP ID -> enter the GROUP CODE setting from the Nomad
UNIT ID -> select a number between 1 and 6 and remember it
ALLOW IFB REMOTE CONTROL -> ON

You want to use AUTOLOAD because, as stated in the manual, "the unit (Nomad) will jam timecode and forward transport commands". This means the TRX will get it's time code from the Nomad and when you put the Nomad in record the TRX will begin recording time code synced files too. The TRX will continue to do what it is currently doing, ie recording, until it receives a signal telling it to stop.

You want to use SLAVED because, "If this button is set to SLAVED, the associated wireless transmitter will start/stop recording each time Nomad starts/stops recording." This setting seems redundant, but there must be a reason for it.

It is good practice to format the memory card in your TRX before recording. This is also found in the Extended Menu. Once that is done you must reboot. Upon powering back up you should see the TRX jam it's time code to the Nomad's.

Now go back to your Nomad and go to the "Zaxnet Channel Page" by pressing the Zaxnet button (3) on the face. Remember that UNIT ID number you selected on your TRX? Well that number corresponds to buttons 1-6 on the face of the Nomad. While in the Zaxnet page, pressing 1 will allow you to control the gain and frequency of the transmitter set as UNIT ID 1, and so on through number 6. Additionally, you can set a fader to control the transmitter's gain in the FADER ASSIGN menu.

Try pressing record on the Nomad and watch as the TRX also goes into record. You are ready for your day. As long as the TRX is in range of the Zaxnet signal from the Nomad it will continually maintain time code sync, transport, frequency, and gain control.

If you have a QRX receiver with IFB Option you can set it to the same TX CHANNEL and UNIT ID(s) of the transmitter(s) and it will show you the transport status and gain level of the selected transmitter(s).

All of this sounds complex because it is, but once you complete this initial setup you don't have to make any changes. It will work day in, day out even after repeated reboots.

I hope this helps.

Mark O'Russa

I have found that setting timecode on TRX's to Manual (Off) is a better setting. The timecode will still jam when the unit is powered on, and will update if timecode drifts, but it will not start a new file if the timecode re-jams. I use this feature for football games (have done this with zaxcom gear for past 3 years). When I would set the TRX to Auto-Jam or Auto-Load, if the TRX got out of range of my QIFB or Nomad, it would re-jam when back in range and create a new clip. This made syncing kind of a problem.. especially if the player was moving in and out of range quickly- many too-small segments could be created. I would initiate recording at the start of a half, and stop it at the end (about 1.5 hours). So, having continous files with jam-synced timecode at the head is of utmost importance. I have tried Auto_Jam and Auto-Load, but the results have not been good. Manual (off) is the better way to go, imho, especially for long roles or where the talent will drift in and out of range of the IFB Timecode Source.

Okay, so the Nomad is set to AutoLoad and TRANSPORT CMDS = SLAVED, but TRX set to Manual.

Mark O.

Just the SLAVED is needed for the transmitter to record when the Nomad records.

Quoting Wandering Ear over on Zaxcom's Forum:

"The AutoJam and AutoLoad assignment on the Nomad is irrelevant to sending transport commands to the TRX. They are only for the Nomad receiving timecode. The "Transport Commands" selection must be on "Slaved" in order to control the TRX Transport."

(NOTE: You may want to modify your detailed instructions over on Zaxcom's Forum. We're all learning this stuff together.)

Great advice and knowledge. Thanks everyone.

At the last minute, Production said they couldn't insure the gear (although that was the proviso agreed to from the get-go).

So we went with the only 'plan b' available to us at the time, me in the boat with a H4 in hand.

I lost out on rental but I retained my full fee.

And learned a LOT about the TRX<->Nomad situation which is brilliant.

Dbto, I agree this thread presents an ideal situation for setting the trx to manual, hitting record, and letting it go.

John, thanks for bringing my post over from zaxs forum about autoload. There is a lot of confusion about autoload and autojam, and we all need to keep an eye out to make sure the info we are passing on is correct. You're right, we are all learning this together.

Dbto, I agree this thread presents an ideal situation for setting the trx to manual, hitting record, and letting it go.

John, thanks for bringing my post over from zaxs forum about autoload. There is a lot of confusion about autoload and autojam, and we all need to keep an eye out to make sure the info we are passing on is correct. You're right, we are all learning this together.

I need to personally play with the various settings to be clear of the differences. I have been using Nomad and TRX set to AutoLoad with great success, but I'm not sure if it creates multiple files if it loses Zaxnet signal.

I'll modify my long post after I figure out the differences.

Mark O.

• 3 months later...

Nomad will only create a new file if you actually create one.

The TRX transmitters will also only create a new file if you create one or if there is a major drift in the code. The TRX has a setting "IFB JAM THRESHOLD" In that menu you can set the amount of time that the TC will have to jump before a new file is forcibly created.

Generally this shouldn't be an issue since all TRX's have a built in TC generator that is accurate to around 1 frame in 6 hours.

So even if the TRX goes out of Zaxnet range and comes back into range - as long as every thing is locked running free run TC you should be fine.

Nomad will only create a new file if you actually create one.

The TRX transmitters will also only create a new file if you create one or if there is a major drift in the code. The TRX has a setting "IFB JAM THRESHOLD" In that menu you can set the amount of time that the TC will have to jump before a new file is forcibly created.

Generally this shouldn't be an issue since all TRX's have a built in TC generator that is accurate to around 1 frame in 6 hours.

So even if the TRX goes out of Zaxnet range and comes back into range - as long as every thing is locked running free run TC you should be fine.

Hey jack

I meant in terms of auto jam or auto load in the zaxnet menu

Regards

Chris

Auto Jam - will continuously jam timecode via ZaxNet and will not cause the TRX to go into record or stop recording. The only time a TRX will create a new file on its own is if the code changes past the limit that you set in the "IFB JAM THRESHOLD" 

Auto Load - will continuously jam timecode via ZaxNet and will start and stop the recording if the TRX is receiving record run timecode.

In auto load the TRX will go into record mode when it detects that the an previous idle TC starts rolling, and will stop when the TC stops. If you are running free run TC you wouldn't use auto load.

Nomad doesn't have a "TC JAM MODE" option since it should be the master TC sending commands to the TRX's

Does this answer your question?