Boom Op/Mixer Available and Looking to Meet Sound People

Hello, my name is Stephen. I'm a sound guy from Chicago. I just recently moved to Los Angeles and have been looking to meet mixers and sound guys. I've been in the business for three years, have my own gear and have experience in commercials, tv, features, shorts and web videos. Would love to take about sound with people in Los Angeles area. I'm just getting my feet wet, so any suggestions or leads would be helpful, thanks so much for your time!

Hi Stephen. A great way to meet other professionals in our sound community is to visit the local rental houses (most have a vast sales department too). The two that have great service, advice, and deals, and great people that I've been to are Location Sound Corp (LSC) located at 10639 Riverside Dr in North Hollywood, and Coffey Sound located at 3325 Cahuenga Boulevard West Los Angeles. They have specific events that bring a lot of the sound professionals together for coffee and shop talk. Coffey Sound has a pizza fun day on Friday's that I haven't been to yet, but might visit soon. Both places are great.

I always hear other people on set referring to people in the sound department as "sound guys" but never really liked calling myself by that title. - Just thinking out loud

Best,

Alexander