Doing Sound & Staying in Shape

stephensharrod

Was wondering if you guys do exercise or do you eat different when you going on a job. Set crafty isn't the most healthy of foods but was wondering if anyone does aerobic or cardio stuff too, espcially for booming because it's so psychically demanding. I wear a back brace when I'm one man banding as well.

Personally I try to run when I can, and doing some ab exercises. I also don't drink soda, coffee, or energy drinks on set. (sometimes I break this for those over nights, ugh)

What does everyone else do?

I drink water on set (and generally, all the time), maybe a cup of coffee on a long day. Lots of salad and some meat. Nuts are good, and fruit. Don't have any particular exercise plan, but I think it might be time to start that in the next year. Not a spring chicken anymore!

I require no special nourishment or comfort... I am a sound-cyborg... All I require is your disgusted glance at my bad jokes between takes, and your drunken laughter at those same jokes over beers later :)

(Okay seriously... in my 20's I worked out 6 days a week, in my 30's I worked out 3 or so days a week... I think that all stuck with me... but honestly... food-wise? I'm a garbage disposal.)

i'm a junk food vegetarian that rides my mountain bike as much as possible when not working(more for fun than exercise/fitness). i've got legs of steel, spaghetti arms and a weak core. i've been really working hard past month on a improving on a lot of that but over the past year stretching has been really important in my day to day activities, especially when strapping on the bag.

i'm a junk food vegetarian that rides my mountain bike as much as possible when not working(more for fun than exercise/fitness). i've got legs of steel, spaghetti arms and a weak core. i've been really working hard past month on a improving on a lot of that but over the past year stretching has been really important in my day to day activities, especially when strapping on the bag.

If your ever in LA with your bike let me know. I'll take you to some great local trails!

I've been doing some crunches and pushups in the morning and evening whether I'm working or not. I do a very short jog when not working and wear an adjustable back brace when I work.

I'm really strict about coffee intake; only for the really early call times and only 1 (For the drive up to LA). I really try not to drink soda on set or on-location and therefore use my camelpak as often as I can. I get total bizarre stares, looks, jokes, etc from crew but that inhibits me from going down the caffeine route for the day. To me its well worth it even if its extra weight when lugging the bag.

Gabe

I swim twice a week, wich i feel really improved my posture, practice aikido 3 times a week, wich REALLY! improved my patience, and run 3 to 4 times a week. I also attend occasionally to other martial arts classes like jiujitsu and capoeira, but that's mostly for fun.

When i'm not able to practice sports for some reason, it doesn't take me long to feel way less energetic, so i try to at least run, even if just a few miles.

The down side is i don't get much time to sleep, we have 12 hour days at work, everyday.

Food wise i always carry fruit, oatmeal cookies, and a variety of Teas with me.

(its pretty acceptable to eat during wardrobe changes and such, as long as not directly on set)

At lunch it really depends, i try to eat healthy but in some locations Pizza and pasta are waaay to good to skip on.

I noticed a few aches and pains from doing bag work, and a surfeit of stomach acid from eating crap, sweets, drinking coffee and coke all day. Swimming seems to massively help both of these so i try to do it 3 times a week at least, and cut out as much of the crap as i can. A coffee or a Coke - not both.

Also i eat really well when i'm not shooting, then go for weeks eating Subway, packet sandwiches, crisps etc then back to the healthy stuff. I think this yoyo'ing probably does me more damage than simply eating rubbish.

Eating right and exercise is hugely important for everyone! My wife is a Pilates instructor so I had to put some emphasis on that. :)

Personally, I lift weights 5 times per week and do cardio 4 times per week. The weights typically are for chest, arms, and back the cardio is frequently the elliptical machine. I need to swim more.

The show I've been on since February is in a car garage and the crew has a bit of a prison workout routine going on. 20 push-ups every hour and I picked up a cheap weight set off Craigslist.

For me I had to find things I could do anywhere. Jumping jacks, running/jogging/walking everywhere. You know all those pesky, heavy sound bags and Pelican cases? They make great weights as well.

Crunches are also an easy, excellent thing to do anywhere. Grab a sound/packing blanket for a pad and do 20-30 at a shot. Sand bags are another great on-set tool for lifting weights.

I've managed to stay trained up for running between 10k's and half marathons for the last several years. Nutrition is a constant challenge. They say you can't out exercise bad nutrition. I try to bring healthy snacks with me and try to focus on the protein dense and low fat foods on set.

For you whippersnappers, here's an unfortunate truth: doing this work, sooner or later you will get hurt. Hurt yourself, get hurt by an accident or mistake by someone else, it's gonna happen. If you stay in this field past 50 you will become familiar with physical therapy, NSAIDs, osteopaths, massage techniques and perhaps acupuncture. This is not a reason to not get into shape and stay there, but being in shape does not mean you won't get hurt, eventually. Have your health plan/insurance together, know your coverage.

philp (who has doctors for every limb now)

I've managed to stay trained up for running between 10k's and half marathons for the last several years. Nutrition is a constant challenge. They say you can't out exercise bad nutrition. I try to bring healthy snacks with me and try to focus on the protein dense and low fat foods on set.

You sir are something I strive to be!

I was on a show recently with a bunch of teenage hockey players that were cussing a lot. After being around them a bunch of the crew noticed we were cussing just as much as they were(a distracting amount) So my camera op and ac played a little game were we did 10 pushups for everybad word we said. After a day or two with 200+ pushups you find a less vulgar vocabulary. It became a fun little game catching others on set and calling them out. My arms were in great shape after that show though.