Doing Sound & Staying in Shape

stephensharrod

Running is a good opportunity. Going to a soccer training or so - regularly each week at the same time - isn't possible when you do this kind of job.

I try to run 2 to 3 times a week, but only half an hour. No marathon or so. You can do this everywhere ... and when you're at a new location for work, you get to know the place better by jogging around there. I did so in London, Florence, Tokyo ...

I try to avoid Coke and other soft drinks, but I must admit I drink plenty of coffee - but only black (no calories) and not after 4 PM (because of sleep).

About 12 years ago I was in bad shape and felt like crap.

I woke up one day and decided that I need a change. Since then I've lost and maintained roughly a 65 pound weight loss, stoped caffeine and sugar drinks completely and changed my diet. And depending on my work schedual I try to workout 5 to 6 days a week - even if it is just a 20 minute run before work.

I vary my workouts to include running, biking, weight training and cardio.

12 years later I feel great look better and my overall health has improved.

There is no magic bullet you just got to do it.

[snip]

There is no magic bullet you just got to do it.

Allow me to gently disagree. There is a magic bullet and it is exercise. The list of things that exercise cures is long and growing every month. I do gym every morning at 6:30 with a little cardio and lots of resistance training. If you mean the magic bullet of actually getting yourself to do it, I totally agree. We offer free gym memberships to every employee. About 25% actually take advantage of it. If I could force everyone to use the memberships, I'd do it, figuring I could climb a tree faster than the fat ones carrying the feathers and hot tar.

Best Regards,

Larry F

Exercise is a must! Find something you enjoy unless you are a really dedicated person.

Exercise when I can. Rowing and running are what I mostly do with some lifting at the gym (unfortunately that's inconsistent). I did a dream job last year where we (coincidentally) filmed at the boathouse I row out of. I showed up early, went for a row, took a shower and breakfast was being set up. Amazing. Needless to say I had the best parking spot because I beat the PAs by an hour.

I'm a slow runner, but marathons and half marathons are my thing. The endurance is probably more applicable to carrying a bag all day, though I should work on my sprinting. Especially with some of the reality jobs I work on... the quick escape would be a wise backup plan. I worked for a company that made it clear that if things went very wrong, we were to toss the camera and sound kits and run.

As for eating, I've been vegan for 11+ years, so most of the garbage in crafty is off my list anyway. The fruit, nuts, clif bars etc are game though. I almost always keep some snacks stashed away in my cart or in my bag. I would rather provide my own healthy snacks than eat what is provided just because it's free.

I do drink coffee on set, but I'm not much of a soda person. If it's a winter job, I probably bring my own tea. It's as much about warm as the energy. If crew-flu is creeping around, then some sort of echinacea ginseng tea is in my mug.

On set - i avoid almost all fried stuff, eat egg white omlettes with least possible oil, a lot of fruit - papaya, apples. no bananas, no Coke Pepsi at all. coffee - espresso double shot i make myself with my Bialetti every morning, very little brown sugar, and tea with milk and artificial sweetener on the set twice a day.

Excercise - i hate the gyms here because of the music i am subjected to. I cant listen to music and walk - i am much too serious a music listener to do anything like walking or tread mill. I wonder how people wear ipods and do anything else at the same time.

Yoga - "pranayam - kapala bharati and anulom vilom" - first thing in the morning. 12 hour days give me only about 10 min. otherwise, 15-20 min. Japanese sitting posture before i sleep helps relieve pressure on the ankles and feet.

Have to quit smoking. heh. Beer/alcohol - have reduced intake drastically, yet - after a 12 hour day, i think 2 x 30 ml of good alcohol gives me the space to wind down and actually sleep when i hit the bed. Otherwise the absurdum of the day that has just passed keeps my brain from resting.

i am looking at alternatives for the above - I think for that i have to leave the film business or start making my own films... working with the "directors" of today i am surprised how i keep my sanity.

Allow me to gently disagree. There is a magic bullet and it is exercise.

I agree. My magic bullet reference is that there is no substitute for proper diet and physical activity.

After I lost the weight people would constantly ask me how did I lose the weight. I would say proper diet and exercise. Most people were disappointed - I guess they were looking for that magic bullet.

On my sets it's survival. If we waited till someone said "break" to eat anything there would be fist fights. There are no breaks. It's lunch, often 6-7 hours into the shift, then wrap, often 6-7 hours later. ...sigh...

Where are you located? In the US federal law mandates food breaks every 6 hours at the most. No exceptions.

After I lost the weight people would constantly ask me how did I lose the weight. I would say proper diet and exercise. Most people were disappointed - I guess they were looking for that magic bullet.

Same with me. After playing football and being in great shape through college, I fell apart. Two years ago I was 56 years old, 330 lbs and a physical mess. My doctor kept telling me that too. I was on verge of being a diabetic. Then I worked on set a bit with Kevin Compari, who is a tri-athlete. He told me that most people quit working out because they keep making it too hard on themselves and then quit. To just start by doing something light and don't push it. So with his prodding, I began by walking slowly just once around my block. I never pushed it, but over months, I naturally increased the distance and pace. I enjoyed the fact that I could move around again. That made me feel like making food changes and adding light weights and calestentics. I now walk farther, faster and even run much of the course. The results of losing weight naturally made me so happy that after awhile, I hated days when I missed a workout. Today, I'm 80 lbs lighter and work out every day, as soon as I wake up. I have muscles again and my lab tests are now all in normal ranges, including cholesterol. My resting pulse is 58. I'm only mad at myself for waiting so long to get with it. I'm still looking for a target weight of another 30 lbs less. The whole thing goes back to Kevin's advice to take it easy. No one ever said that before. So whenever I feel myself pushing so hard that I hate the pain of the workout, I back off, slow down and then get those increased results anyway later when I have days where I feel good and push myself harder, but this way, it's still something I enjoy doing and will never stop. I hope I can inspire others that you can do this at any age. It's not that hard.

Same with me. After playing football and being in great shape through college, I fell apart. Two years ago I was 56 years old, 330 lbs and a physical mess. My doctor kept telling me that too. I was on verge of being a diabetic. Then I worked on set a bit with Kevin Compari, who is a tri-athlete. He told me that most people quit working out because they keep making it too hard on themselves and then quit. To just start by doing something light and don't push it. So with his prodding, I began by walking slowly just once around my block. I never pushed it, but over months, I naturally increased the distance and pace. I enjoyed the fact that I could move around again. That made me feel like making food changes and adding light weights and calestentics. I now walk farther, faster and even run much of the course. The results of losing weight naturally made me so happy that after awhile, I hated days when I missed a workout. Today, I'm 80 lbs lighter and work out every day, as soon as I wake up. I have muscles again and my lab tests are now all in normal ranges, including cholesterol. My resting pulse is 58. I'm only mad at myself for waiting so long to get with it. I'm still looking for a target weight of another 30 lbs less. The whole thing goes back to Kevin's advice to take it easy. No one ever said that before. So whenever I feel myself pushing so hard that I hate the pain of the workout, I back off, slow down and then get those increased results anyway later when I have days where I feel good and push myself harder, but this way, it's still something I enjoy doing and will never stop. I hope I can inspire others that you can do this at any age. It's not that hard.

Great inspiration John!

I'm about the same age as you and I can't get motivated to work out on a regular basis. I'm an ok weight for now but I'm feeling the muscle loss and the flab is starting to gather. My food habits are pretty good, but without the exercise who knows where I'll be in a few short years. I'll give your method a try.

Bernie