Sound Reel/Credit Sheet?

Jeremy Katz

I was just wondering what PM's mean when posting a job and they ask for a sound reel. For location sound would that be the recorded tracks before post, or the final product? Either way, is it alright to be sending out media that technically doesn't belong to me?

I usually just send out a list of credits in resume form. What does everyone else do?

They usually ask for "examples" i use the finished product most of the time. Its what ive recorded ,with some help from post. :)

I feel anyone who asks for a sound reel doesn't really understand. Because theres a bunch of checks youre going through.

Some people don't get that there's this post production process that happens. If they ask for the raw give them the raw, but usually they don't even know what that is.

It's an innocent mistake made by people that don't know our craft. What they're looking for is a body of work they can refer to. We could be dickish about correcting them or make jests but I would rather see it as a teaching opportunity. Just politely inform them that sound mixers don't have reels and send them a sample of work or resume.

It's an innocent mistake made by people that don't know our craft. What they're looking for is a body of work they can refer to. We could be dickish about correcting them or make jests but I would rather see it as a teaching opportunity. Just politely inform them that sound mixers don't have reels and send them a sample of work or resume.

Alexander.. I agree that we should be polite. The chance to be a dick is overwhelming here, and I admit, hard for me to resist too.

But more importantly.. Don't we all look for 'the red flags'. Enough red flags, and I don't want to work with someone.. And, I'm all for the education, but why does it have to be on your dime? Let them pay for their own education.

Just some thoughts...

-Richard

But more importantly.. Don't we all look for 'the red flags'. Enough red flags, and I don't want to work with someone.. And, I'm all for the education, but why does it have to be on your dime? Let them pay for their own education.

I agree. And Mike is right about it being a sign of inexperience and low pay. Most of the time it results in me turning down the gig, but I make sure to explain why I can't do it for their budget and I include a few helpful tips for them to be more successful. And I explain why production sound mixers don't have reels. No dimes spent!