Gotta Love Actors

orionflood

Overheard an actress say after arguing with everybody on this low budget set I'm working on. "On studio films actors actually get to choose the edits they like." On a side note, the only claim to fame she has had was a very small park in one of the twilight films...no wonder she thinks this...lol

eh, let them think whatever. That's something that somebody else can explain after shooting is over, and you are onto the next one.

I've heard too many actors talk about how you don't need to shoot coverage with the Red because it's 4k and you can just cookie cutter stamp the CU out of the wide.... which I know does happen. It's jarring.

Dumb asses, as if wide lighting is going to be the same for a close up. It's their close up, do they want to look good or mediocre?

I guess spending a half hour lighting the close up is now a thing of the past? Speed of shooting over quality of shooting will bite you in the ass. Intellect seems to be on a downswing maybe its the water.;-)

Had an actress co-incidentally also who's claim to fame was from the Twilight movies bitching to me about how she hates wearing a wireless mic. She spent the whole shoot trying to avoid wearing the wireless pack, requesting that shots were boomed even in impossible boom situations, complaining to the director that getting wired distracts her performance- I could go on and on. I had to laugh one day on the shoot when I overheard her going on about how much she hates doing ADR!

Had an actress co-incidentally also who's claim to fame was from the Twilight movies bitching to me about how she hates wearing a wireless mic. She spent the whole shoot trying to avoid wearing the wireless pack, requesting that shots were boomed even in impossible boom situations, complaining to the director that getting wired distracts her performance- I could go on and on. I had to laugh one day on the shoot when I overheard her going on about how much she hates doing ADR!

Isn't part of the job getting wired up and doing ADR? When I used to record and edit dialogue for video games we'd get famous people in that would be a bit of a pain in the rear. One guy was such a jerk that the voice director really had to put him in his place, basically telling him that he's getting paid to be here and take direction and do what is asked of him. Needless to say that particular actor was never hired again by the people we worked with. Me complaining about talking about boom poles is like that actress complaining about having to get wired and do ADR.

I have had an actress refuse to get wired up on day one.

Just wouldn't do it.

When the director asked me why she wasn't finished I explained the situation and how rude she was. Seconds later there was a big argument with her and the director, and then the day was wrapped because the director fired her.

Her only "claim to fame" was a small part (very small) in "Drag me to Hell"

I can understand why actors would like to get it right on set. Recreating a performance weeks or even months after you actually did it can be a challenge. On the flip side, I have had actors tell me they enjoy ADR. It gives them a last chance to tweak their performance. They tell me when they see the edit, in its final context, it helps them dial it in.

I can understand why actors would like to get it right on set. Recreating a performance weeks or even months after you actually did it can be a challenge. On the flip side, I have had actors tell me they enjoy ADR. It gives them a last chance to tweak their performance. They tell me when they see the edit, in its final context, it helps them dial it in.

from Jay Rose book " Marlon Brando used to love looping as an opportunity to perfect his performance. Rumor has it that's why he mumbled so much in the original takes."

On the flip side, I have had actors tell me they enjoy ADR. It gives them a last chance to tweak their performance.

Yes, there's a "Making of" doc on one of the Pirates movies that shows Johnny Depp on the ADR stage, and he mentions how much he enjoys trying endlessly different line-readings. And those films were heavily dubbed due to wind noise, water noise, boats creaking, green screen VFX, etc. He does a great job, as do the dialogue editors and re-recording mixers in perfecting his performances.