TRX900AA and 442 issue

Michael P Clark

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael,

I set up a 442 with a dual TA3F to single TA5F cable (REM CASTA100TA3YTA5) and did not experience any distortion, tone was spot on.  If you are feeding from the XLR outs to the TRX900 and it's fine, then you feed from the TA3F outs to the TRX900 and it distorts then it is either your TA3F outputs or your TA3F cables.  The slight difference in master output wiring (to unbalance the XLR's you ground pin-3 to pin-1; to unbalance the TA3F you just use pin-2 and ground) try the rem cables.

Later,

GTrew, Michael, Soda,

REM CASTA100TA3YTA5, works fine.it is a TA3f splitter out of the TA3 outs of the SD442 to TA5f in to the ZAX STA100. bUT as tpop said we will test it with mics setup into mixer and I will put the zax rcvr in a camera or 302 mixer.

later,

A 15dB pad, although tremendously low level for the TRX, and unusable, resulted in the same type of distortion.

The behavior was interesting to see however. at low dialog levels the meters were acting normal. But when a stronger "vowel" sound came through the meters jumped pretty high and distortion occurred. It doesn't trip the limiters or go close to digital zero. It just gets hotter, fast(speaking meter ballistics).

I'm reminded of a similar issue when the original Sound Devices MixPre was used with the original PD-150 camcorder: The tone would line up normally and sound clean, but dynamic dialog would distort badly. Sound Devices answered with a cable that had resistors strategicly placed.

At this point it's just a guess, but my guess is that in-line resistors on each leg (total of 4; 2 left and 2 right) will solve the problem with the 442-TRX900 combo. Then the question is "what value resistors?", and the answer is "I don't know", but my guess is that 10K on each leg would be enough isolation without significantly altering the input voltage at the TRX900 (the input level should be about the same). This scheme is not a pad (there is no shunt resistor). It will be tough to install 2 resistors in each of the TA3 connectors, but it can be done. We'll experiment with this when our TRX900's come in, but anyone else is welcome to try it now if they have all the pieces. Keep in mind that at this point it's called an experiment because I could be totally wrong, but the answer is out there and we'll find it.

Glen Trew

I tested a couple of my 442's with various zaxcom units and did not encounter the same problem. I will say that the service I have received from Zaxcom has been poor at best. I have purchased 6 units over the last year and have had to send in 4 of my 6 tx and am getting ready to send in yet another tx and an rx this week. I love my zaxcom when they work but have encountered more trouble with them than it's really worth.

Gtrew,stickman,

hey guys,

we tested the zax systems and they worked fine out of the TA3 and xlr, we passed audio and tone. sound good.

just a thought stcikman,  have you ever had a problem w/lectros sm's or the sma's

I have, just like the zax units. they all have problems.

Hmm. That doesn't bode well for my cables again. or perhaps my Zax unit. I'll be sending them both in. Thanks for the call Fernando, sorry I missed it.

Thanks for all the testing you've done Frank. Again, my units have worked flawlessly until I noticed this issue, and I'll be staying away from my TA3's until I can figure out the real deal, and probably still after that.

scott,

you know most mixers not using zax items (and somer mixers who use zax products), have a "hard on" for glenn (maybe its his cockiness or the way he handles him self in public?) and any opportunity they get, they are ready to pounce. maybe at times he is spread thin, how many manufactorers thought of designed and have released a tx systems that records? (you know he is always a head of the times and thinking of ways to do things better) but he will personally get back to you no matter how many trophies you own. it might not be the same day, but he will contact you and help you out.

scott,

have you any issues at all with your sm's or venue systems? (its funny how you want to sale a brand new vrf?

Im not here to slam anyone's products . All I am saying is I have had nothing but issues with my 6 zaxcom units. I will say that I have NEVER had to send any of the over 30 lectros in my inventory back due to poor performance. So you do the math.

I know people love their gear and I am no different but the facts are facts. Take it for what its worth!

Im not here to slam anyone's products . All I am saying is I have had nothing but issues with my 6 zaxcom units. I will say that I have NEVER had to send any of the over 30 lectros in my inventory back due to poor performance. So you do the math.

I know people love their gear and I am no different but the facts are facts. Take it for what its worth!

Stick,

I was just frustrated this past week w/sm's tx. like you, it is very rare to have lectros

go bad. but for some reason 2-sm's and a sma went bad. your lucky man not to have never sent the lectros or had them serviced. (you must be the only user) or have them on shows you only work on etc. (when you rent to the "public", they tend to get beat up a little more than if you the owner were using them)

also, no diss here. but , a majority of the new zax wireless systems need a little tweak

in the shop, most of the systems are not set up properly to get the best audio performance. there is a lot more calibrating and adjusting the zax with each different mixer and camera that you are using than lectros that is for sure.  if you are in the so. cal area, stop by the shop and maybe we can help adjust them.

I will say, in an effort to be constructive, say that Zaxcom as innovation that are really really cool and useful BUT they seriously need to get somebody to rewrite their manual as it really does not cover everything you want to know about the unit.

My two cents

Pascal

pacal,

you mean the manuals suck. we all know that. sometimes they have info online.

this brings up a post that I put up a couple months ago. re: dvd manuals for interactive support.

funny thing there was not a lot of actual replies to the original posts. but several personal messages to me , backing up the idea and intersted in the idea.

I still think there is a market or desire for dvd manuals that mixers or the end users can use to help "cut thru the chase" and find the info they need in seconds. then thumbing thru the manuals

if you are in the so. cal area, stop by the shop and maybe we can help adjust them.

What's the adjustment that stops the left channel from intermittently transmitting?

Or the adjustment that stops the unit from randomly powering down?

I used the stereoline units for years and recommended Zax to a friend based on that usage.  He bought in and got bit.

IMO, the new units missed the mark on several fronts.  The software that runs them is buggy at best, and don't get me started on the ergonomics of the unit with any of the "feature" modules added to the side. 

At least when I have any (rare) issue with Lectro, it's blatently obvious.  Power switch, antenna, bad battery contacts, etc. 

I love the Zax stuff when it works, there's nothing better.  Unfortunately, the TRX series seems like it was rushed out the door before it was really solid.

Call me crazy, but when you spend a couple grand on an item, you just kinda take it for granted that it will work as advertised.

I think you are misunderstanding me. I have had to send units out for repair because units do get abused and go down. I have NEVER had to send out a lectro because it didn't work out of the box. I know some guys that have had that issue but I have not.Out of my 6 zax tx I have had to send 3 of them back out of the box and have never been able to get through a shoot with out some kind of performance issue (not due to abuse). When I have had to deal with the service I have had bad luck in that area as well. where when it comes to service on the lectro side they take a while but are honest about it and get the gear back to me in the time they specify. That has not been the case with zax. I have had to send 2 units back the same day because they didn't fix the problem. Please keep in mind the problems I have had are problems like the left channel not transmitting, the units getting hot to the touch and draining fresh batteries in less than 20 min. Very real issues.

I agree with Pascal. I love the idea of the zaxcoms and I do use them when they work. It's just a bummer that every time there is an issue the service takes forever and they always seem to blame something other than themselves. Needing to take a set of lectros to make sure I'm covered if my zax go down sucks as well.

Most people on the Deva list know this already, but I'm the person responsible for the manuals. I agree that many times the information you need isn't there. But to be honest, most of the time I don't have the equipment in front of me and I can't test it out. I have to write from notes provided to me.

If you ever have any suggestions or additions to the Zaxcom manuals, by all means, send them to me so I can update the manuals.

Wayne

Guest afewmoreyears

Not a fan of Glenn, his products, repair horror stories or anything else related to his company....  Some trick stuff in concept, but who wants to deal with that guy.....

I understand It started when the new file based format was being laid out.... he was the only one who would not play nice.....  met him once.... an ass at best....  a poor business man at worst...

Not a fan of Glenn, his products, repair horror stories or anything else related to his company....  Some trick stuff in concept, but who wants to deal with that guy.....

I understand It started when the new file based format was being laid out.... he was the only one who would not play nice.....  met him once.... an ass at best....  a poor business man at worst...

Your ignorance of the history of the "new file based format" is astonishing. Glenn Sanders single handedly started the whole file based format concept for production recording, and this was over 10 years ago! I might agree with you that Glenn is not the best businessman, but to deny the contribution by Glenn and Zaxcom to entire class of file based recording that we all do now, is to deny the history of Zaxcom products. Were it not for the first Deva, few if any of the other companies would have been even considering this. As for "playing nice" the only ones who did not play nice were the post facilities that were too shortsighted to see the writing on the wall --- and continued to insist on DAT only (even as the DAT machines were failing and much of the industry was well underway with the transition to file based production recording.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Guest afewmoreyears

Jeff,

what I meant to get across, was not that he was the first, or the leader as you say, but that once it was evident that indeed this was the future format, his making or not, he was not so nice to work with others in the field of manufacturers to get a "standard" for all to adhere to....  that's what was meant... sorry you went off in a different direction...

Don't call me ignorant.... I am not ignorant about this...not too cool....  I thought I was pretty clear.... I am not denying any contribution, as you say.... I only said he was an ass and does not play nice.... Read it....  AGAIN. 

He clearly ... Does not play nice....  I stand by my post....  only an opinion,  last I checked,  I am allowed one.....  Your forum,  would you deny me that?

The reports I have heard from others to my face about turnaround time, problems with their gear, REPEATEDLY...  and customer service are well documented.... you must be aware of this... right...

No beef with you....  again.... only opinions on this forum.... 

Glenn might be a hero to you, but not me....  I don't like his business model...  never have, never will....

Have a great weekend :)

Aside from the issue at hand and the original topic, I've worked with Deva II, the Goldline, and the TRX products and never had any issues with it operationally. I guess I'm lucky considering what I'm reading. I'll have to keep an eye out for those issues.

In regards to the left channel not transmitting. Will you get metering for the left the channel on the Tx, but nothing shows up at the Rx? Is it random drop outs, or just not working all day? Is this being experienced with the TRX or Goldline? Any other issues I should be keeping my eye out for?

Hope this doesn't become a bashing session after this, please email me if you feel your post will cause flames...