DIY LED Light Stick

soundmanjohn

I've had some flexible LED strip hanging around for a while and decided to try out an idea that had been knocking around for a while. I bought 1 metre of transparent acrylic tube, broke out the heat-gun and the soldering iron and made a couple of these little 12 volt light-sticks. Total cost, about $10 a stick, time to make, about 30 minutes. A bit of adhesive BlackWrap and some adhesive Velcro and I've got an adaptable light-source for working at night or in dark corners.

I'll drill the flat sections of the tube and add snap hooks for extra hanging points.

Regards,

John

post-2730-0-21104900-1353365092_thumb.jp

post-2730-0-57279200-1353365817_thumb.jp

And if you apply sufficient pressure when closing off the ends of the tube, it's completely water-tight as well. I'm going to make one more that has a daisy-chain connector on the other end of the tube, so that you can link two together. The great thing about the LED strip is that you cut off as much or as little (three LEDs is the smallest you can go) as you want and the supply voltage stays the same: only the current draw increases as you add more length. If you want a more diffuse light, a cylinder of frost lighting gel can easily be slipped into the tube.

Simple to put together and dirt cheap.

I've been using some 12 volt lighting strips I found at Autozone for $20 for 2 12" Strips. Good adhesive backing and pre attached power cables are provided.

They are quite brite and fit under shelves to light the equipment below. They work great and are completely sealed in clear Urathane and completely waterproof. They can be shortened by cutting off a section at the scissor mark and are flexable and adhere to curved surfaces as well. No additional mounting hardware required, just peel and stick and attached the wires to your 12 v source.

http://www.autozone....ifier=60064_0_0_

I can't find the seller anymore but I got 5 one foot led strips from a Chinese ebay seller for about a dollar each (with free shipping). Bought them figuring even if they don't work it would be no real loss. They took about a month to get to me, but worked great and barely cost anything.

Here is something similar for just a little bit more (but comes from a US seller).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-LED-Strip-Light-Kit-9V-Clip-Underglow-White-Blue-Green-Amber-Red-12-LEDs-1-FT-/130806146687?pt=US_Character_Radio_Control_Toys&hash=item1e74a7667f

• 2 weeks later...