"Speed" by any other name

Joshua Anderson

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard "sound spud" - usually said too fast for anyone to notice we're talking about potatoes

That's what us kiwis sound like when we say "sound speed"!

Was working with some guys from north america recently that thought "sweet as" ( a common saying here meaning "it's all good" ) was "sweet ass"..

Grant.

When an AD says "turn over" I've always been tempted to turn over.

Back in the Nagra tape days it was easy to see when the machine was turning. But it took the white SAS flag (the one labeled SPEED) to let us know when we were locked and had speed.

One syllable better than more, not to mention the technical historical legacy.

Speed!

Lately on multi camera DSLR shoots when the AD says "roll", you are bound to hear a chorus of staggered "speeds". Sometimes as they day goes by, everybody's reply actually takes on a rhythm of its own. Or maybe I have been on set way too long...... :s

In this digital age, it becomes more and more difficult to dial in each one's delay so everything syncs up in the end...

how does one pronounce this?

today, i did "partito" and "tournee" on set. fun.

Hmmm.. Ήχος τρέχει mean sound speed.

But you can pronounce something like this: "Hchos trehe" but the tone not at "-he" but at "-tre".

Yes "partito" (from Italy) it's funny. :)

As Glen said above:

Back in the Nagra tape days it was easy to see when the machine was turning. But it took the white SAS flag (the one labeled SPEED) to let us know when we were locked and had speed.

But not exclusively from the old days:

I use the pre-record on my recorders, so every time I hit record it's like I go back in time 10 seconds. But I watch on the monitor as the Alexa's record light blinks red a few times before it settles into record mode. We've done second sticks a number of times because the camera wasn't up to speed yet.

Reminds me of an observation I heard once: As the sound department becomes more wireless, the camera department becomes more dependent on being cabled for all of the HD signals.

Josh

anybody mind telling me why we say "Speed"?

In the very early days of sync sound recording - well before the Nagra - sound was recorded on a machine that used perforated film just like a camera. During the thirties and forties, recorders would be loaded with a high contrast photo film in a gauge matching the camera. So, for features, one would record sound on 35mm optical stock. In later years, the optical recorders were replaced with magnetic machines that recorded sound onto 35mm stock coated with a magnetic oxide.

These early recorders were fairly large and heavy and the recording stock, whether optical or magnetic, was also heavy. (A 1000' roll of 35mm film is about five pounds.) The transports required a fairly large motor, just like the camera. to maintain a stable speed. This was before the development of motors governed by quartz crystals so "synchronous" motors were used that were electrically linked together. In practice, one switch, operated by the sound recordist, switched on both the camera and the recorder. The recordist (a crew position separate from the mixer) would turn on the circuit controlling both the sound machine and the camera and call "speed" when the transport stabilized.

David