CBS Trex mac Java help

seth

I don't even know what "CBS - Trex" is but a cursory search reveals a document from CBS- Trex that discusses incompatibility with the current version of Java installed on most Macs that have updated their systems. The short document discusses, among other things, the necessity of downgrading back to Java v. 1.6 to allow for CBS - Trex compatibility. Excerpt from document quoted below:

"MAC JAVA UPDATE FOR TREX - Related to Issues around 1.7 Update 9

For mac users to downgrade to 1.6, it's documented here:

Removing 1.7 http://www.java.com/en/download/help/mac_uninstall_java.xml

Reinstalling 1.6 : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5559

Then try logging into TREX.

In addition, for employees using personal computers, please contact the apple store and have them assist you with uninstalling the Java 1.7 Update 9 from your desktop and restoring it to Java 1.6."

Thanks guys. Jeff Trex is an expense reporting software for union jobs.

Your a better searcher than I!

I just went to: http://trexhelp.cbs.com and found "TREX SYSTEM INFORMATION Documents". I really didn't even know what I was reading about and it may not even be the Trex you are referring to.

"bad"? Maybe a tad disoriented, lazy, inept, etc., etc. Just kidding, of course! Hope you sort out your difficulty. I have to admit that I put in a little extra effort because your Topic seemed to be slamming the Mac (that I love) rather than the Trex service (that evidently you love and rely on).

Jeff

Trex sucks - it is an antiquated system that relies on an old specific version of Java. Trex doesn't play very nice with Mac - it was designed to run on PC's and even then it is still clunky. Up to two or three years ago Trex didn't even support Mac. If you had a Mac you would have to do a paper expense report and mail it in. One would think that a major network like CBS would have a better system.

Oh no I love my, imac, mac book, ipad, iphone, ipod, and hope soon to get some i-nanobots inserted into my brain to rid me of my lazy, inept, etc.. Trex does er uh...suck, except for the part where it says report excepted and you get a check in the mail.

Edited by seth

Jeff

Trex sucks - it is an antiquated system that relies on an old specific version of Java. Trex doesn't play very nice with Mac - it was designed to run on PC's and even then it is still clunky. Up to two or three years ago Trex didn't even support Mac. If you had a Mac you would have to do a paper expense report and mail it in. One would think that a major network like CBS would have a better system.

I wasn't going to say anything, but one second into looking at their home web page was enough to make me sure it wasn't anything I wanted to have anything to do with.

• 5 months later...

So here it is 6 months after these posts, and I just did a Google search for CBS TREX (because I don't seem to have it bookmarked), and this thread is the second link listed. Interesting. I work for CBS occasionally, and have always dreaded having to use the TREX online program to submit my expenses, but at least it worked. Now, I can't even download it. The idea of deleting the current version of Java on my Macbook Pro and installing an older version seems like an act of insanity to me.  What unintended consequences might follow? It's especially frustrating to have additional obstacles placed in front of me when I'm trying to get reimbursed for travel expenses. Ok, now I'm whining. Sorry.

Jeff, I haven't met you yet, but you seem like a really nice guy.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Is anyone else having trouble getting the CBS TREX site to run. It logs me in, goes to the page to choose to go to travel and expenses, but hangs up and goes no where. I have tried using a PC with Windows XP (now unsupported by Microsoft), and then my Macbook Pro with three browsers, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. 

CBS help desk got me fixed. Said to use my PC with the Windows XP, and use Internet Explorer, and DISABLE the POPUP BLOCKER, from the tools pulldown menu of the browser. I'll try this with my MAC another time, to see if a popup blocker was preventing the TREX app from working. But at least I can do my paper work now.

UGH...the TREX system for expense reimbursement from CBS NEWS is the ONLY reason there is still an ancient Toshiba PC laptop in the top of the closet. When I work for them, I drag it out, fill out the crazy forms and put it away!!!!

That's funny Cleve - I keep a white poly MacBook around just for TREX with an older OS and older Java version installed.

• 3 months later...