Whale Wars IMMEDIATE sound job available!

Job Title: Field Director/Field Producer

Job Start: 11/27

Job End: 03/15

Total Weeks: 14

Show Name: Whale Wars

Network: ANIMLPLNT

Company: Sea Shepherd Conservation Society

Job Description:

The game has changed this year for Whale Wars. We are into our sixth season of a very successful TV show, however Sea Shepherd has the responsibility this year of to document this Antarctic campaign ourselves.

A tragic accident (he will be ok eventually) has left us with a space to fill. We are looking for a field producer to join one of our ships which will travel to the Antarctic to interfere will Japanese whaling operations this year. We may also need an audio technician.

The need is urgent, departure date is November 27/28, 2012.

Compensation is also limited but we will cover travel costs.

This promises to be one of the most exciting campaigns (Whale Wars) so far, we have a larger fleet than ever before and a Captain 'on the run' who will be joining the campaign at some undisclosed location!

We hope to shut them down early but the maximum length of the campaign will be March 15th 2013.

We are looking for people who are passionate for the cause but also will carry the professional responsibility of telling the story of the campaign and it's volunteer crew as we embark on a campaign determined to shut down whaling in the Southern Ocean.

If you're ready to join us and travel to the Antarctic please contact us ASAP!

" There appears to be a little problem with misplaced values. "

maybe that is a little harsh in this case, as it appears the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society is now self producing the show as part of their (non-profit) operations, and thus seeking committed volunteers to keep costs down; I could extrapolate that the previous, non-affiliated production company was having difficulties in producing the show as a bu$ine$$ venture, and bailed on the "charitable" organization they were covering.

meanwhile Sea Shepherd Conservation Society is putting its budget into " a larger fleet than ever before and a Captain 'on the run' "

which I can see as their version of putting their budget on the screen....

Edited by studiomprd

The above posting answers the question as to why the rate is so low. It's the organization itself putting the show together. They are a charitable organization with a very low budget for what it is they do.

They want someone who supports the cause and has production knowledge. It's no different than how they got the people who operate the boats.

The TV show for the organization has helped them to spread their message to the public. Knowing that this is not a professional production company, I have no negative feelings about the rates seem to be, and is a great opportunity for someone with the right skill set to support the sea shepherd cause.

That being said, I still am not interested in going.

While I firmly believe in the cause of stopping whaling I also firmly believe in paying my bills so I don't become homeless. Their organization is not-for-profit but that doesn't mean they can take advantage of the crew, put them in extremely dangerous conditions, and reap the benefits of your hard work (they are working extremely hard as well).

The previous producer was injured (may have been on the ship, may not have been) and, as in normal, next in line for the abuse at the lowest rate possible gets the gig! I wonder if that producer had health insurance to cover part of his expenses? And for any bills not covered by insurance is he/she up shit creek? They certainly weren't being paid enough to cover their share of those bills.

" I also firmly believe in paying my bills so I don't become homeless. "

this gig isn't for you... it isn't for most of us, but this falls under volunteer-ism, not gainful employment...

the folks they get, and who they are seeking, are dedicated to the cause, and are not looking at this as making a living, but rather as working for a cause they believe in; their technical credentials will probably be sparse, but their commitment will overshadow that, and a lot of them will actually enjoy it, to boot!.

I'll bet there are some active professionals here who do volunteer work, perhaps related to their careers, perhaps not. This happens all over in life...

As for Whale Wars, trust me, they don't want you at least as much as you don't want them!

again, (like senator wrote) they are looking for someone with the skill set, that wants to volunteer for the campaign. This is the same way they get the rest of their crew - the people that pilot ships, helicopters, etc...

They are not looking to get someone who is there for the money.

The fact that it is not a production company makes a pretty big difference as to how you should look at this, and what it actually is that they are looking for.

If this were 5 years ago I would probably consider it.

There damn well is some sort of production company involved! Who the hell edits the video and puts together the show for Animal Planet? Animal Planet may be doing it in house or the non-profit may be putting it together but sure as shit someone is making a bunch of money off it.

Yes, many of us do volunteer our time on various projects either related to our careers or not. However, whomever takes on this gig must be painfully aware they could be injured or killed in the process of volunteering and they may have mountains of medical bills to cover. Or, they may be absolutely fine.

It's silly to say there is no production company involved. It may not be a third party production company but someone is organizing the crew, handling tape shipments, editorial, and production logistics. Someone IS making money off this show. Animal Planet sure isn't doing it out of the goodness of their heart. They sell ad space. Lots and lots of ad space.

There are any number of very valid reasons why someone will take on the gig. And, I'm sure they will do just fine.

" sure as shit someone is making a bunch of money off it. "

not someone, but the non-profit organization " " are getting paid for the show by Animal Planet, who is selling the advertising (and keeping that money, unless the are perhaps also giving a potion to the non-profit.

Of course I do not know (or care) what -if any- volunteer work you do, but many of us do. And many of us make donations to non-profit organizations, and yes, there are numerous business models for non-profits.

while this isn't for you (or, as I have said it is not for most of us here)...

it is for somebody: " There are any number of very valid reasons why someone will take on the gig. And, I'm sure they will do just fine " Someone who believes this is important and worthwhile will consider it the same as religious or medical "missionary" work, and there is nothing wrong with that for either party.

BTW, I do believe the boat has sailed...

Edited by studiomprd

Perhaps there is money to be made on the other side of this coin. If the Japs and Nords were to know where their thorn in their ass was way in advance I'm sure they'd be more then happy to pay some coin. Perhaps enough to pay for health insurance. Just playing devils advocate.

The series used to be done by RIVR Media, a company that has done a bunch of reality TV. I *think* Animal Planet "owns" the show concept though, so they can have anyone produce it. On the show they had the Captain say he didn't want professional sailors because he wanted people dedicated to the cause, not there for the paycheck. If they took over production of the show, it's completely possible their in-house media people are going to edit it.

If The Sea Shepherds are producing the show themselves, then the rate is far more understandable. If I was in a position to work on this, I absolutely would. I would chalk it up to donating my skills to a cause I support.

Somebody told me that show Storm Chasers is shot by the research students and the money they make from the show helps pay for their research. I don't know if they hand off the tapes to a production company or what, but it's an interesting business model. It's also interesting because they upped their game for the show, like mounting a Red inside a dome on the tornado car. Assuming somebody knows how to shoot, it's probably better footage than researchers had in the past.

I also do know for a fact that some doc/reality series shot in non-profits don't directly give money to the organization. The production company sells the show, pays their production people etc, but the organization's benefit is PR. The show is almost an infomercial/PSA for what they do.

Like I posted above, how many more people now know about the Sea Shepherds? How many people now will give them a few dollars to support the cause? I bet their donations have gone up since the show started.

• 2 weeks later...

So, if indeed, the for-profit network benefits by contracting a non-profit entity to mount the production by engaging "volunteerism," then...

...to project this production model to its natural expansion, a show like Jersey Shore could be licensed by MTV to be produced by a non-profit organization that would have their crews working for a pittance as volunteers under the consideration that they're "furthering the interests of cultural understanding."

The new business model.

From: Eco-Razzi (http://www.ecorazzi.com/2012/11/27/sea-shepherd-tasked-with-filming-whale-wars-action/)

“Animal Planet will not have its own film crew on board with us this year,” wrote Sr. Media Relations Manager Lisa Agabian in an email. ”‘Whale Wars’ will, indeed, air in the U.S. on Animal Planet as expected, but our own (Sea Shepherd) professional production crew will be shooting the campaign this year. This arrangement provides us greater flexibility for distribution purposes, as we will own the footage.