Whale Wars IMMEDIATE sound job available!

“Animal Planet will not have its own film crew on board with us this year,” wrote Sr. Media Relations Manager Lisa Agabian in an email. ”‘Whale Wars’ will, indeed, air in the U.S. on Animal Planet as expected, but our own (Sea Shepherd) professional production crew will be shooting the campaign this year. This arrangement provides us greater flexibility for distribution purposes, as we will own the footage.

I don't know the legal difference, but (according to IMDB etc) it was always a 3rd party production company (RIVR, then I think Gator?) that did the show. I guess those production companies answer to Animal Planet. Again I don't know what the legal deal is in that situation in terms of who owns the footage and who owns the show after it's delivered to AP.

I did a show for Animal Planet at a non-profit organization, and I suppose my bosses answered to AP, and not the organization we were filming. Our subjects didn't get to see our tapes etc. Not that we would never let them see something, but they could never say "hey, delete that part" or something. Obviously we had a friendly relationship, but I suppose there was that layer of separation where technically the organization didn't see the show till it was edited together.

" This arrangement provides us greater flexibility "

this is in code!

While I agree that " " would indicate a properly organized (and paid for) production, it also seems to mean that they think they can put this all together and make more money for the cause (the non-profit), and I believe they legitimately believe that. The "production company" was a for profit third party; probably their contracts gave them rights, and or ownership that Sea Shepherds felt they could more effectively /efficiently hold onto (control, distribution, revenues). They may or may not be correct, as it is clearly not their business, but for our purposes, it means the crew is working as missionaries for the cause, not as working professionals, as they are not part of a commercial, for profit production entity.

Looks like it won't be quite as exciting/dangerous anymore: http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-20778616#

I doubt that would stop the Sea Shepherds from doing their thing. I'm not sure why the US 9th circuit court of appeals has say over what The Seas Shepherds do in Arctic waters. I guess Sea Shepherd is (maybe) legally based in the US? I don't know.

"It is a complex situation whereby a United States court is issuing an injunction against Dutch and Australian vessels carrying an international crew, operating out of Australia and New Zealand in international waters,"

Australia and New Zealand have been fighting Japanese whaling in international courts, trying to stop it, and do not let the ships cross into their waters.

The Sea Shepherd stance has always been that Japan is violating the whaling ban that has been in place for 25 years. The Japanese say they are "doing research" by killing 1,000+ endangered whales every year, and selling the meat. It's a multi-million dollar industry that is going to accelerate the extinction of those whales. We know that a LOT of the elected+appointed officials in the US do not believe in climate change, they think extinction is the fault of the animal for not being smarter (almost Darwinism if they believed in his theories). We have elected officials that have said "it must be god's plan if that animal was wiped out", but the next day will demand that tax payers bail out a failed industry because somehow that's not god's plan and just a big error.

Rush Limbaugh famously has said that no endangered animal should stop capitalism and if the animal isn't smart enough to find a new place to live, then it doesn't deserve to be here anymore. Of course he didn't have the guts to follow up that stance standing next to a bald eagle that he just shot, but we all know he's a fraud.

I doubt that would stop the Sea Shepherds from doing their thing. I'm not sure why the US 9th circuit court of appeals has say over what The Seas Shepherds do in Arctic waters. I guess Sea Shepherd is (maybe) legally based in the US? I don't know.

"It is a complex situation whereby a United States court is issuing an injunction against Dutch and Australian vessels carrying an international crew, operating out of Australia and New Zealand in international waters,"

Australia and New Zealand have been fighting Japanese whaling in international courts, trying to stop it, and do not let the ships cross into their waters.

The Sea Shepherd stance has always been that Japan is violating the whaling ban that has been in place for 25 years. The Japanese say they are "doing research" by killing 1,000+ endangered whales every year, and selling the meat. It's a multi-million dollar industry that is going to accelerate the extinction of those whales. We know that a LOT of the elected+appointed officials in the US do not believe in climate change, they think extinction is the fault of the animal for not being smarter (almost Darwinism if they believed in his theories). We have elected officials that have said "it must be god's plan if that animal was wiped out", but the next day will demand that tax payers bail out a failed industry because somehow that's not god's plan and just a big error.

Rush Limbaugh famously has said that no endangered animal should stop capitalism and if the animal isn't smart enough to find a new place to live, then it doesn't deserve to be here anymore. Of course he didn't have the guts to follow up that stance standing next to a bald eagle that he just shot, but we all know he's a fraud.

+1

I'm not sure why the US 9th circuit court of appeals has say over what The Seas Shepherds do in Arctic waters. I guess Sea Shepherd is (maybe) legally based in the US? I don't know.

Did you follow the Odyssey Marine Exploration treaure case? The US State Department cables that turned up on Wikileaks were quite interesting.

Rush Limbaugh famously has said that no endangered animal should stop capitalism and if the animal isn't smart enough to find a new place to live, then it doesn't deserve to be here anymore.

Funny that Limbaugh's show has reportedly lost half its ratings and many stations are in the process of dropping it from their airwaves. It would seem that Rush's career may be endangered...

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/20/1163345/-The-radio-industry-is-FINALLY-talking-about-the-devastating-impact-of-Rush-Limbaugh-s-Fluke-attack

Limbaugh is a bit of an anomaly. He disappeared from the airwaves in Philly a while ago and just returned recently. Somebody recently launched a seemingly right-wing FM talk radio station. I stumbled onto it playing with a new car stereo, but they talk about being a "new" station.

When he was in his heyday (say during Bill Clinton's terms), I knew people that worked at the local station that broadcast his show. They were an FM talk station that had all kinds of hosts. Right, Left, Libertarian etc. They had Dr Laura and Limbaugh on during the day. Their station traditionally had their lowest ratings during the day, well before those two shows being brought in. At least here, the #1 and #2 stations during to daytime are a "Bee" station (national company of adult contemporary programming), and AM news. I know Limbaugh's business model was that his show was free to the local station, and they got to insert their local ads. Limbaugh packaged the show with his national ads, as well as promoting his ventured (his newsletter, ties, I think he eventually had a wine of the month club or something). The local station that used to air his show (till they became dance-pop music) said it was kind of weird because the station was on auto-pilot pretty much during the bulk of business hours. All the office people were in, but not the crews of live show staffs. The in-house shows with a whole production staff were afternoons-nights-overnights-mornings, and weekends.

His listener numbers were "good" because he was on a dead slot, and a TON of stations played his show. He was the only national show during that time slot. People that said he could switch to morning and knock out Howard Stern really don't understand the business of radio.

I think he lost a lot of credibility when it came out that his hearing loss was due to his out of control pill addiction. He had previously said things like "drug addicts should be stripped of their citizenship and kicked out of the country". I don't know where they were to be sent, but that was his Republican big loving heart.

Funny that Limbaugh's show has reportedly lost half its ratings and many stations are in the process of dropping it from their airwaves. It would seem that Rush's career may be endangered...

http://www.dailykos....-s-Fluke-attack

I am honestly surprised since all of those FUBAR statements he makes followed by the " you are just too dumb to understand! "Sorry statements. i am baffled on how he actually has a show. if you listen to him on KFI in the LA area, he gets cut off by his own commercial breaks constantly.... WTF!!

He takes advantage of telling people what they want to hear. He's just repeating the same garbage, and it's easy for him to do it when a Democrat is in the White House, or if they control Congress. He's really good at blaming everything on their secret agenda, so he spoon feeds his nonsense to uneducated paranoid right wing idiots. I don't know if he's that much of a lunatic, or if he is just playing a part to rake int he money. He's always quick to point out that he's just a commentator and never names his sources.

I'm sure he would call the Sea Shepherds terrorists. There is something amazing about these right-wing scumbags that spent so much time fighting against protecting animals from extinction saying "if they can't survive, their time is up" or "it's part of god's plan to eliminate this species", but they all run to the doctor when they have an ailment. His insurance company spent lots restoring his hearing loss (due to his abuse of prescription drugs) with cochlear implants. Maybe that was god's way to shut him up?

• 1 month later...

I worked with a camera op a few years ago that worked on one of the early seasons.  He told me that a lot of unsafe things happened   and he never felt safe.  

Just read this today.  A US court declaring Sea Shepherd as Pirates and to stop anti-whaling activity.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/02/26/sea-shepherd-whaling-protesters-ruled-pirates/1949659/

Here is some video of the boats crashing.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10867863

I am not sure you could pay me enough to put my life in the hands of under trained  fanatics.  Even if I do believe in the cause.

Brian 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...