Whale Wars IMMEDIATE sound job available!

It is not like the mixer would even really be contributing to a non-profit / conscientious effort... this is TV, designed for entertainment. Half of the people watching could ultimately probably care less about the plight of the whales. The production company should be heavily scrutinized for their activities, even though performing work in international waters for the most part, and if not simply from a legal standpoint, from a producer / client standpoint, for promoting work of such shoddy nature by not providing the minimum needs to get qualified crew members to man the critical billets.

of course the L&D on the show will exceed $3k..

I suggest the show just buy a gross of the cheapest on ebay no name shotgun mics and clamp a fresh one on each camera as they die from salt water exposure..

I think it's all provided gear, and *probably* a show that budgets for all of it being destroyed.

There is good gear that lasts longer in extreme conditions. If the supe has experience in salt water shows, they probably have figured out how to make the gear last the run of the show. It's not like you can FedEx in replacement gear if gear goes down.

That can't be the real rate... For all the stress, dangerous conditions, hours, gear wear etc. that's not even a good rate for a week!

I was thinking, even $3K a week would be a stretch, especially given the very dangerous shooting conditions. And (like on Most Dangerous Catch) all the gear would probably have to be thrown out at the end because of exposure to salt water.

Complete guess, but you probably have a ton of down time. 4 months on location for 8-12 hour long episodes. Also remember that 3 ships (or 3 locations) contribute to those episodes. I've worked on doc shows (Animal Cops) where we shoot a year (11 months) to get 15 hour long episodes, BUT we are working 5 day weeks and generally working 10 hour days (unless something crazy happens). In that sense, when you consider the whole show is about chasing whalers, there is probably a lot of idle time. You have 4 months to do OTFs and background on some of the key players. That said, when they are in close pursuit, it's probably long shifts and a lot of adrenaline.

I was thinking you could do a lot of reading, but mermaid watching is probably a valid way to spend the day! You may also get to see some whales. Heck people PAY to go on whale watching tours! I hear the ship is vegan, so no Subway tunas!!!

I'm sure they will find somebody to do it. It sounds like an adventure, and I bet a lot of people justify it by believing in the cause. I realize there is a separation of the Production company and Animal Planet from the Sea Shepherds, you are working on a show that is arguably an infomercial for what they do. I bet most Americans never heard of them before the show, even ones that generally support what they are doing. I sort of felt like that working on some projects (doc series based at a non-profit). At the end of the day I was getting paid, and felt like we were telling the story of a good organization from a side that the public doesn't see.

I was approached a couple of years ago to do a travel show. It was great because, usually, it was six weeks of traveling to exotic locales, but the hours were long, the work was hectic (and probably sloppy, by definition) and the pay was $500 PER EPISODE. Yes, per episode - so, basically, I would be working for something like $167 a day. When I mentioned that was too low -especially considering I'd be unavailable from other income possibilites for six weeks- the producer explained that most soundies who took the job did so as a "working vacation." Nuts.

BK