My COS-11 technique

atheisticmystic

The next day I take that off and put Top Stick on the adhesive area to renew it.

Hey Bernie, ecstatically pleased the "miccoon" (Wielage's monikker for it ::) ) works for you too!

On days where I've had to tear mics off talent and slap it right on to new talent in between takes, I've used your Top Stick refresher strategy with great results.

Thanks for the kind words!

Steven

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rigged up my first one tonight to try out tomorrow. It is with a Tram (OST), so we'll see how it does.

Also, when shopping the the foot care department of Wally-world, I bought some Bunion Cushions, thinking the oval would be sticky, and the cover would just be cloth, but it seems the entire surface area is sticky, so not sure they will work.

The picture is my first try, ready for tomorrow.

The other picture is the products. I used Moleskin Plus as "Standard Thickness" and the MoleFoam as the "Thick Padded Moleskin"

Let me know if i should have used something different... and any thoughts on the Bunion Cishions.

thanks

post-6885-0-53133000-1354779268_thumb.jp

post-6885-0-77392600-1354779370_thumb.jp

I tried this. It does not work very well with hairy chests where the chest hair brushes on the mic head. Rm-11 with the mic head inside protected is a lot better.

Rado, I found the same thing with hairy chests, and I used the Rycote Overcovers stuck to the outside with good results.

Marc and I are with the same set of actors today, with whom I practiced that, so I'll compare with the RM-11.

Best

Hey Bernie, ecstatically pleased the "miccoon" (Wielage's monikker for it ::) ) works for you too!

No, I vote for The Deichen MicCocoon!®

If Hank Garfield can sell Hush Lavs and Hush Heels (and headphone pads), then this could be your chance to break into retailing!

"The Deichen MicCocoon... The One Accessory Your Microphone Can't Live Without!

It's Neat... Petite... and Sweet!"

I had a hairy chest to deal with on my last shoot. Not just any hairy chest, but one they had been shaving for the reality shoot, and now it was two weeks since shaving. Since I didn't have shaving gear on hand, I did the "sleeping bag" method with moleskin, then used Topstick to attach to the chest. I was getting some rustle from the shirt moving against the chest stubble, so I used more Topstick to immobilize the shirt around the mic. Took care of the problem.

Well, it seemed to work pretty good. Stayed on all day. Once the shirt brushed up against it. Maybe I should have put it a little lower.

When she walked, I could hear the acoustical noise of the shirt rubbing against her/her bra. Shirt is cotton, bra is silk.

I've yet to be able to completely hide a mic and not get some type of accoustical noise.

Pic of talent, in blue. The people she talks to are corporate employees, most have never had a mic. I just find somewhere quick and easy and go with it.

post-6885-0-45921000-1355005935_thumb.jp

post-6885-0-05007800-1355006191_thumb.jp

Well, it seemed to work pretty good. Stayed on all day. Once the shirt brushed up against it. Maybe I should have put it a little lower.

When she walked, I could hear the acoustical noise of the shirt rubbing against her/her bra. Shirt is cotton, bra is silk.

Doh, silk is a real mess. I've always felt that the issues are mic against skin, mic against cloth, or cloth against cloth -- or maybe several of the above! We've sometimes had to lock down the costume itself beyond just securing the microphone. Starched dress shirts against necks are bad, too -- it's not a mic problem per se, but it certainly creates unwanted noise. My only solution has been to get makeup to apply some lotion to the neck (assuming it's a man's neck) and hope this cuts down on friction.

I just invested in a little can of anti-static spray for my lav mounts case (Neopax, double-stick tape, Transpore, lav bullet, various clips, etc.), and we'll see if the next cloth-against-cloth issue I come up against will benefit from that.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like a great technique.  I've got another 3 day reality show starting monday and will try it out. 

Do you mount on the shirt or on the skin?

I've done it both ways both would love to hear what others do.

Also do you put some extra toptick on the "underside" of the slepping bag to nake it stick better to the skin/shirt?

Dave

Got to be worth a shot, I was struggling yesterday with Cos-11s, and none of my usual tricks seemed to work, always good to have new things to try. I shall make a couple of these rigs up for next week.

Jon!

I sent to a costume company in the US for the thin moleskin & got a sheet of the brown and one of the black but I've never seen the thicker stuff. Any suggestions for a supplier?

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Jon!

I sent to a costume company in the US for the thin moleskin & got a sheet of the brown and one of the black but I've never seen the thicker stuff. Any suggestions for a supplier?

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Any pharmacutical supply place should have it. Dr.Scholls makes it and Walgreens has a generic brand of it as well.

http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/products/MoleskinPlusPadding.jspa

Not sure if this is the thick stuff, but I believe it is.

Here's something else I found that has all kinds of interesting adhesive thingys'

https://www.meyerdist.com/Products/Catalog/Gels,Felts,Foams/Padding,Foams,Moleskin/