My COS-11 technique

atheisticmystic

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Showed to my wife and she found Steven's technique incredibly cute and cozy

People say that to Steven all the time!

Ladies and gentlemen, my personal publicist and all around Bestest Boss, Marc Wielage!

(I may have to check in with my own mate and see if she still finds my technique as such)

I cut hush lav's in half to use as the bumper.

I may have to try that myself!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Steven and Justan, do you use the Sanken windscreen in the sleeping bag setup?

It's hard for me to tell if the windcreen is attached.

I actually just used them with the windscreen the other day. You just need to give a little more space with the head poking out.

I have been using this technique all year and it has been great. It's my new standard.

Where I live it was hard finding black moleskin. But I just ordered a bunch off film tools.

I actually just used them with the windscreen the other day. You just need to give a little more space with the head poking out.

I have been using this technique all year and it has been great. It's my new standard.

Where I live it was hard finding black moleskin. But I just ordered a bunch off film tools.

Black moleskin is also available from Manhattan Wardrobe Supply:

http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/products/moleskin-12-wide-slash-1-yard

Also a good source for foot foam, booties and Topstick.

Best regards,

Jim

Im going to have to get my moleskin chops up to speed..I love the rubber vampire clips but they are $20 and talent seems to just lose one every other day. I tried undercovers and couldn't make them work at all, so will go back to moleskin and gafftape and see what I can come up with.

...finding black moleskin.

Black moleskin is also available from...

I just used some of the black moleskin today to build a bigger mount inside a black karategi while booming for Wielage, but it's the first time I've used it in a very long time. I think it's too thin for my taste (thinner than both versions of Dr. Scholls), and also seems a bit microphonic.

Has that not been ya'llz experience?

best

When in a hurry.. love the results from using a half a bunion cushion..

if you want to make  pocket, just use both halves... instant capsule for COS-11 or Tram style.

the thinned out "pocket" is premade..

Yes It costs more than plain moleskin, but it is VERY fast to make and deploy

How's it sound?  watch Necessary Roughness.  not the 2 leads.. we do other stuff for them.

Steven, 

The thickness of the black moleskin hasn't been a problem for me and I haven't found it to be louder in any appreciable way. The adhesive isn't very robust which is a bigger problem for me, but other than dressing cables on dark wardrobe my main use for black moleskin is to dress around Hushlavs which makes for a quick and reusable mic mount when needed for short doc or industrial sequences.

Best regards,

Jim

I picked up a pack of Sofft's this AM on way to call at Aaron's (LA arts & crafts chain, $12 for 40 piece assortment). Working great so far Topstuck into a stubble forest under a cotton T, and between buttoning layers of a polyester sports shirt. Going back to the roll cages for Trams in the '80's I know nothing will work everywhere, but these are promising. Thanks for the find!

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

Used this method earlier today with great success. Only problem I had was getting the lav to stick one actor's semi-hairy chest. He has a shirtless scene next week and therefore couldn't shave him (director likes the hair i guess). Made it work with some transpore directly underneath the "pocket" where there was no hair.

Used this method earlier today with great success. Only problem I had was getting the lav to stick one actor's semi-hairy chest. He has a shirtless scene next week and therefore couldn't shave him (director likes the hair i guess). Made it work with some transpore directly underneath the "pocket" where there was no hair.

On the current shoot, I've been experimenting with different shapes to impact silhouette through thinner garments (not very successfully), a greatly thinned down version for collar mounts (not very happy happy with that either ), and using the thick moleskin for the entire mount on a noisy shirt with a hairy chest (with the addition of a Rycote over cover, this heavy version does give extra isolation from contact noise).

But the best moment so far was when a "little person" in an A-shirt, and a hairy chest told me "I'll take one for the team" and encouraged me to go ahead and mount right to his hairy skin.

Damn I love that guy, he's my new favorite actor.

best

Just tried the weather strip material yesterday.  It was three interviews with guys wearing tee shirts.   I chose to use my B-6 for this one.  The material is very soft and squishy so isn't as bulky as the RM11 mount or the cacoon.  The adhesive on the back is nice and strong.  I rigged one lav and refreshed the sticky with Top Stick for each new person. I need to experiment more but its a promising technique.