lectro UFM50 with Sennheiser IEM G2 Tx

soundtrane

trying to improve on the range (30mW) of the Sennheiser G2 IEM Tx with a paddle antenna (from Sennheiser, A1031 - not a sharkfin) and about 50 ft of low-loss Belden BNC cable. the sennheiser is my comtek for IFB.

Wondering if the UFM50 will do the job - i know more is less - minimum gain setting on the UFM50 is 5 dB i think...

-vin

Hi Vin,

The words simple and RF are rarely used in the same sentence.

The UFM50's gain is set by an output pad. The amplifier always runs at about 14 dB of gain. Padding the output down with the built in pad is the wrong thing to do in this application, as the amplifier is not made for power boosting. Keep the output pad at maximum "gain".

So you would need to attenuate the transmitter output down to about 10 mW (5 dB pad at the input). The input filter in the UFM50 will lose about 1 1/2 dB for 7mW at the amp's input. Fourteen dB of gain would bring the output up to 160 mW which is about all the amp will do without distortion and without output padding (gain). I will try to remember to try this Monday just to see what that amp will put out.

Best.

Larry F

Lectro

Hi Vin,

Well this worked out better than I guessed. You can to pad the 30 mW transmitter down to 8mW at the input of the UFM50 which will require a 6 dB pad at the input. These pads are only about $20 because you don't need a lab quality pad. Run the UFM50 in its max gain setting at the output by setting the jumpers to the maximum position (see manual). This will give you 12 dB of gain for +20 dBm or 100 mW. This is the best you can do without carrier distortion. If 2nd harmonics of the carrier aren't a consideration, the 30 mW can be padded down by only 3 dB (15mW) directly into the UFM50 for a 160mW output but with some harmonics at 2,3, etc., times the carrier.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro