Boom Recorder 5.11

takev

Hello everyone,

I changed the ballistics of the RMS/VU meter, it is now a little less twisty.

I also added 32 float recording to BWF files, I have no idea how many edit programs will handle this, but 32 bit floating point is the format in which Boom Recorder receives the audio data from Core Audio.

And a couple of other small changes.

Cheers,

Take

I have a question: the last few releases of BoomRecorder have had very long launch times, someting I have never seen with BoomRecorder in the past. This last one, v. 5.11, took over 2 minutes for 1st launch! After first launch the program starts up pretty quickly, 20 or 30 seconds maybe. This is on a single processor G5 1.8 ghz, 1 g ram running 10.4.5. Any ideas?

-  JW

Hello Jeff,

Since version 5.9 Boom Recorder supports 64 channels. During startup it will allocate a ring buffer twice as large as versions before this. As this ring buffer is locked in memory, OS X will first need to evict memory that was already in use in some kind of fashion. This eviction can take a long time as often the disk is involved with all this work.

There are two ways for me to solve this:

- A max channel control in the preferences panel, where you configure how much ring buffer will be allocated. This is pretty easy ot program, but it requires the user to restart Boom Recorder, there is also confusion about why there is a nr channels control in the layout panel.

- Make the nr channels control in the layout panel change the ring buffer allocations. This is much more difficult to program but it would be more of the Apple way.

Cheers,

Take