due to the FCC auction of the spectrum above 700 mHz, which will take

effect February 2009.  Lectrosonics is no exception, making Block 27,

28, and 29 no longer available except by special order in 2008 and

entirely unavailable thereafter.

To compensate, Lectro will be expanding the blocks available on the

lower end of the spectrum. Blocks 19 and 20, pending FCC approval,

will roll out first quarter 2008, with a possibility of further

expansion later. In addition, more products will be added using block

We should be compensated by the FCC for the purchase of replacement units for anybody that has gear that falls under these blocks. If their auctioning these frequencies off and getting $$$ for it, that money should be distrubuted to those taht make a living off these frequencies.

Complete B***S***!!!

That is it in a nutshell. I've been thinking about this all day.

Who here has mics in those freq's?

I'm going to find an attorney. The FCC auctioned these blocks to the highest bidder to insure that the freq's would be put to the best use, not to make $$$. So they can compensate those of us in this to replace our gear.

Is this too far fetched? hell it aint frivolous.

LL

Guest afewmoreyears

Not so fast....

From what I can gather,  the blocks will not be able to be sold by Lectro but will STILL work for years to come.....

The blocks in question will be auctioned out......  the Didgi TV stations will eventually be forced to move down the block spectrum, making the 27 28 and 29 even LESS crowded....

Further from what I can gather....  the blocks in question are slated to be used for disaster broadcast emergency info....    Hence, how often does that happen.....and, if you are filming in canyons out of a city center etc.  even less of a problem....  I have had a few conversations with Lectro and someone in the know and told basically.....  (I have also read the Lectro official post on this)  It's like Y2K.... A lot of panic, and probably not a problem.....

Even if there is a meltdown on these freq.,  worldwide, the mics can always be used by someone, so no fire sale.

We have YEARS to get this straightened out..... don't panic,  don't fire sale your gear,  don't lose sleep over it....

Loose copy typed by me of the Lectro letter....

" Although the FCC expects the 700MHz band to be vacated as of 2/09, it is unrealistic to expect that all users  of low powered devices (our units) would need to stop using their current systems.

Lectrosonics will cease  manufacturing and selling the blocks in question at the end of 2008. However, systems in use on those blocks will probably be able to continue to function for several years to come."

By the time this happens,  I will probably have new units anyhow.....

I have 2 new 411s on 28, and I aint stressing over it.....

Lectro also informed me that they are currently working on a fix to swap out the board to replace the block in your current unit if need be....  again "WORKING ON IT".....  not too cheap, but solutions are coming down the pike...

WE HAVE A LONG TIME TO WORK THIS OUT.....  be positive....  deep breaths....

whew ok, thanks for the pep talk, I just semi lost my mind yesterday thinking I would be outfitting a complete wireless sytem within the year.

Also I just hat a transmitter dropped in the toilet by an actor, and my plug on is headed to Rio Rancho because it is on the fritz...in the span of a couple of days.

LL

Larry,

I won't be too concerned either I have been continuing to use my (3) 211 systems that are in block 27 and I am not planning on replacing  then until there are major frequency issues as they work great still and the checks keep clearing. I also prefer my 250c tx as well they have longer battery life than the 450 tx. I agree that the 400tx sound better but I do all reality tv and news so no one will ever notice, so don't worry larry it will all be ok.

The word I got from Lectro on the phone was pretty much to not do anything rash--no one knows exactly how and when the usage of those bands will play out.  Where I live there isn't a lot of room in those bands to start with, and 27 has 2 DTV stations already working.  If you have an investment in 27/28 it might be better to ride your gear as long as you can and then sell it overseas whenever the new services fire up. 

Philip Perkins

Guest afewmoreyears

I have 211's in Block 27.  It would be nice to upgrade to 411's but I would have to sell or trade in what I have now in order to afford new units.  My fear is that if they do become useless, than I have some paperweights that are not worth a thing.

Rob,

This is a USA thing....  Even if there is a problem here,  which I doubt.....  Worldwide they will still be golden....  Don't worry.... It is un-productive....

Y2K, Y2K, Y2K  anyone remember..... The sky is falling... :)

folks, forget any nonsense about the FCC, the government, the manufacturers, the vendors, or anyone else providing any compensation, of any kind, for any possible losses of the spectrum the FCC is auctioning off.  we are unlicensed squatters, and have been permitted to use these frequencies at out own risk of interference, and also with a requirement that we not interfere with licensees!

these are the terms we accepted by using the space, and the equipment manufacturers accepted when they applied for (and received) their type acceptances.

sorry, kids, that's life!

and sorry, Henny-Penny, but by the way, the sky is not falling, either!

actually a lot of the interference will be leaving the spectrum, and replacement interference, while unknown, will not be there immediately, so there will be some overlap that will actually be: "it gets better before it gets, maybe, worse."

All the TV channels that currently have 2 channels, one Digital, one Analog, will be vacating one of those channels in Feb '09. that will be almost 50% less TV broadcaster interference, and a 100% reduction in the upper blocks.  much of the new technology will be low power (like our wireless stuff) and also probably will have its own "scan and avoid" technologies built in, long before we incorporate them in our wireless systems.

in other words, it probably isn't all bad, and we won't know for a while!

and another thought:

we are small potatoes, not even much of a blip, compared to all the folks who will see their TV's become useless in Feb '009

so, to quote Fonzie: "Cool it!"

Guest afewmoreyears

Senator,

Maybe you misunderstood.....  my reference to the sky is falling and Y2K, was to say they were bullshi_.....  don't panic.....  That is what was meant.....

Your whole post says the same thing I said, in a different way..... I agree....  completely...

B

sorry, old-timer, but I was responding to earlier posts, and agreeing more than completely with you!

This didn't just happen last week, it has been in the works for years!  where have some of these folks been ??

and BTW, I'm one of those folks who set the stage for that whole Y2K thing as an old COBOL & FORTRAN programmer!! (sorry, but memory was expensive and  scarce back then!)

OMG! What are we supposed to do with our Lectros in those blocks!  I'm gonna have to sell everything!  When did this happen?!  Why didn't they send us letters?!  Does anyone wanna buy my  block 28 411's?  $300 each (but you gotta buy all 10 of them)...

just kidding  : )

happy non-secular holiday season.

I'll give you $400 each!!  Well, clearly I agree with what most of you have said.  I went through my "sky is falling" phase months ago and now I am not too worried.  I have 9 Bl. 28 411a's and would like at least 3 more.  I also have IFB in 27.  The next year, at least, will be gangbusters for Block 28 in LA (when you have to coordinate a lot of freqs) and looking past a year in this biz is increasingly pointless.  Who knows what the future holds?  The only constant is change and we can count on change happening ever more quickly.  I will be off the web and out in the mountains for a week or so.

Paul

You know I have to mention...

I hated to feel the brunt of it but for the first time on Jeff's site I saw the same thing I hated about RAMPS...

Sometimes... after a day of fighting the fight and coming home wondering what you could have done differently or better, you find a little bit of peace in your comrades post about their thoughts and struggles. I like that about this place. Lets keep it upbeat and informative.

"Freq'd Out"

LL

I've been aware of this issue from the start and this is the first I have heard of the NAB throwing their muscle around. Most of the time it's been passionate posts about the issue and what people "think" will happen. What the NAB is doing is good, but it still seems to spell doom for blocks 27-29.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring back this old topic, but I was curious about what the general consensus was with these frequencies now.  I've read on here that there was a little 'wad of something' in the lower frequencies of block 28 (back in June).  Any ideas about what it's like now?  What are people's predictions? 

It's probably obvious that I'm asking for selfish reasons.  I'm considering buying a used Lectro 200 set in block 28 and I just didn't want to screw myself in the near future.  Is it better to hold off on a used set in the lower blocks?

Sorry to bring back this old topic, but I was curious about what the general consensus was with these frequencies now.  I've read on here that there was a little 'wad of something' in the lower frequencies of block 28 (back in June).  Any ideas about what it's like now?  What are people's predictions? 

It's probably obvious that I'm asking for selfish reasons.  I'm considering buying a used Lectro 200 set in block 28 and I just didn't want to screw myself in the near future.  Is it better to hold off on a used set in the lower blocks?

I used a block 28 211 all day long today in the middle of SF w/ no problems.  You have to watch out for Qualcomm, but for the moment there are still clear spaces.  No guarantees about for how long though, and then you (like me) will have to sell them to someone who lives in a country where that spectrum is still clear.  You do need to have your battery scene pretty together if you plan to use 200s--they do suck a lot of juice.

Philip Perkins