The Hobbit, Post Production Blog..#9

Mark LeBlanc

"As fans of The Hobbit scanned the red carpet at the film’s premiere in Wellington last night, some New Zealand activists are still bitter about the outcome of a failed unionization attempt in 2010, even as NZ Actors Equity is finally making progress in negotiations with the country’s producers association."

Read the rest here: http://digitalmedialaw.blogspot.com/2012/11/normal-0-false-false-false-style_4083.html

Interesting topic re Unions Downunder. We in the NZ film industry have thought and discussed the Union topic over the years and I personally think our industry works best without a Union. We are a small country where most technicians know each other and know the Producers, we are unique in many ways and our size of country and Film Industry is one reason for that. We have a Technicians Guild and rules that we and Producers follow and on a job like The Hobbit the generosity of the Production went way beyond anything a Union would provide, in fact I can't think whether we had a crew rep on set, usually we do but on most jobs it seems they are never needed.

Another interesting thing about unions is that with our current legislation, and maybe someone from NZ may correct me, but if you belong to a Union you need to be an employee and not self employed which would be a huge disadvantage for claiming expenses like Sound Equipment for tax. I am sure there is the odd situation where Productions take advantage of crew and actors but I have not heard of an example for many years.

Tony Johnson

" if you belong to a Union you need to be an employee and not self employed which would be a huge disadvantage for claiming expenses "

In the USA, all "union work" is as an employee, on a payroll. Equipment rental is not included in union contracts, only labor, so a separate business is required, and appropriate for equipment rental income and expenses.

I think that is a bit harsh of an attitude. We have all seen productions take advantage of people working on a project with "cool factor"

It seems that this isn't the case on The Hobbit.

They all seem like great people and fun to work with, all fresh smiles etc... Just realized there are either doers or whiners in this world. Thx for posting!!