Will the price drop on recorders?

Tilt Down

So, I'm in the market for a used 744T, and I'm a little shocked that it hasn't dropped in price since the introduction of the Zaxcom and 644 mixer/recorder combos, which seem to be the logical path all mixers will go. (and yes, I'm aware of today's price hike)

Why would I want to pay $3K for four channel recording when another $1.5K gets me six AND a mixer? Obviously I am missing something.

If you are talking about the prices for a USED 744T (in decent shape) the prices have come down a bit in the last year. Maybe the introduction of yet more new recorders will further affect that price, maybe not, maybe it will only affect them a little. I kind of doubt SD will drop the price of a NEW 744T any--I frankly think they'd be more likely to drop it from their line rather than do that.

philp

That would be an interesting idea if Sound Devices gave the 744 another model number (the 745?) and just cut the price in half. Just wishful thinking on my part...

Wishful thinking indeed, especially since they seem to be smoking some VERY good plant life in their pricing departments recently.

Nothing legacy warrants a price increase while remaining unchanged... Or is my 2003 VW, ipad 1, and 2006 Macbook Pro each suddenly worth more, "just because"?

I predict this will not be well received. I'm not interested in paying $500 for a 1-year warranty extension... Is anyone else? Seems that might be the only "benefit" to this move. I can GUARANTEE that I would never spend that much for repairs in the second year of ownership... And that money would better serve me by buying more gear, maybe even from them!

This smacks purely of greed.

Nothing legacy warrants a price increase while remaining unchanged... Or is my 2003 VW, ipad 1, and 2006 Macbook Pro each suddenly worth more, "just because"?

I predict this will not be well received. I'm not interested in paying $500 for a 1-year warranty extension... Is anyone else? Seems that might be the only "benefit" to this move. I can GUARANTEE that I would never spend that much for repairs in the second year of ownership... And that money would better serve me by buying more gear, maybe even from them!

This smacks purely of greed.

Oh, get over it already! This has nothing to do with greed. Shipping (and fuel) costs, production costs, manufacturing utility costs, etc all play into this. Not to mention inflation!

Honestly, if $500 more for machines that are THIS capable at THIS price point is such a tough pill to swallow, don't buy the product! If you aren't ready to spend an extra $500 for the machine you want to use every day, then wait until you feel your workload justifies the cost.

So, I'm in the market for a used 744T, and I'm a little shocked that it hasn't dropped in price since the introduction of the Zaxcom and 644 mixer/recorder combos, which seem to be the logical path all mixers will go. (and yes, I'm aware of today's price hike)

Why would I want to pay $3K for four channel recording when another $1.5K gets me six AND a mixer? Obviously I am missing something.

The 744T and the 664 are different machines beyond just track count. I'm sure there is some wrangling in SD to figure out the price points because a LOT of people see both as perfectly viable solutions to their daily needs.

Btw what's $3k? A used 744? The 744 is now $4,200 and most people put a 442 or 552 (+$3,300) out front in a bag, or some sort of console mixer on the cart. If the 664 works for you, it's the relative bargain.

Geordi, we're not talking about SD raising the prices on used cars, tablets, and the like. Sure, I'd rather SD's prices went down rather than up. But if their costs have increased, then fine. Better they're profitable enough so they can keep making and supporting their current (and future) products, than I save a few bucks now and then end up with an orphaned product.

Sure, but SD's price increases are forever (well, for a while). And the Maxx is based on existing technology developed by a reputable company.

It's not like a product from Eric's Discount Audio, Cheese, and Roofing Company.

On behalf of E.D.A.C.R.C. I can gurantee that our prices will stay the same. ;D

Eric

" I doubt new recorders will drop in price. "

not the professional ones, although the toy recorders tend to get heavily discounted as they near EOL and new models are about to be introduced (January NAMM show)...

" This has nothing to do with greed. "

and SD's employees need more $$ for all the rising costs they are facing.... SD is known to be a good place to work, and I'll bet their 3% is still at least 3% !!

Greed? I don't see how the cost of making and selling a machine in 2013 could be the same as it was 3 or 4 years ago. The current price has to reflect the current costs or they go out of business. (The RED model does not apply...)

philp

Even if you ignore the hardware itself, the business has employees to pay, and expenses that are certainly going up.

With the hardware, so of it might not be getting cheaper. At some point, certain electronic components actually become harder to source. Our gear is a mix of timeless analog components and computer parts, so there is probably a LOT of flux in the price of parts.