Small USB Keyboard

Neil Mc

Do you mean this keyboard? Can't find it for sale anywhere...

pic1.jpg

pic1-1.jpg

Maybe it was that Cherry keyboard company? I know they have been around since the 60s or something.

The one I visually remember wasn't folding, but I think the company made a few models, including one with forearm straps. I may be totally off base, but I think I remember Scott Farr reviewing one for use on a Sound Devices 700 series recorder. It wasn't cheap, but it seemed to work.

I guess it depends on what you mean by small. I found some $15 cheap "small" desktop style ones at Microcenter that work with my Fusion. Just the QWERTY keyboard, no media buttons, no number pad, so it's only about 11" wide. I have one of those on my cart. I kind of wanted something more like a maximum of 5" or 6" for bag use. I *think* some of the small ones were intended for PDAs and they were small enough you would thumb type. That would be perfect for what I am looking for. I used to carry a Palm, but some of the other PDAs (Microsoft etc) had USB ports, so *something* may be standard enough to work for us.

If this was USB and not bluetooth, I would already own it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Mini-BLUETOOTH-KEYBOARD-FOR-PC-PDA-Smart-Phone-/190762482144?pt=US_Tablet_eReader_Cases_Covers_Keyboard_Folios&hash=item2c6a5479e0

I use Zaxcom recorders, so a CL-Wifi isn't an option. Even if wifi/BT was an option, I would be content with a little cabled keyboard I could leave in my bag.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it was that Cherry keyboard company? I know they have been around since the 60s or something.

The one I visually remember wasn't folding, but I think the company made a few models, including one with forearm straps. I may be totally off base, but I think I remember Scott Farr reviewing one for use on a Sound Devices 700 series recorder. It wasn't cheap, but it seemed to work.

<snip>

The keyboard Scott reviewed was the L3 Systems WristPC keyboard. It started at about $240 or so and the metal case backlit model was (maybe is) about $430 or so.

I own a PS/2 WristPC keyboard, no backlight with metal housing, purchased on eBay that I use with my 744T and it's nice, just not $240 to $430 nice. I paid about $60 with shipping and it is worth every penny of that, and rugged as well.

Best regards,

Jim

post-1223-0-24160500-1354226308_thumb.jp

Jim: That's it! I wondered if they would eventually turn up on Ebay. That *looks* solidly built.

Matt: I wondered if they worked like that. Some of the Ebay listings almost implied that, but it was hard to tell from the description, also no guarantee it'll work with our gear. Good to hear! I'll try one on my Fusion (and eventually Nomad) for $15 and if it fails, I know where I can donate it and it'll get used.

Can t wait to plug a keyboard into my nomad.

My automated sound report will become much better when you actually can write something elaborate in the note fields..

Can you...? I though the note field was pretty limited. If this has changed, then that's good. The Deva note field is limited to 16 characters.

The keyboard Scott reviewed was the L3 Systems WristPC keyboard. It started at about $240 or so and the metal case backlit model was (maybe is) about $430 or so.

I own a PS/2 WristPC keyboard, no backlight with metal housing, purchased on eBay that I use with my 744T and it's nice, just not $240 to $430 nice. I paid about $60 with shipping and it is worth every penny of that, and rugged as well.

Best regards,

Jim

$60 is a pretty decent price, but it doesnt look like there are anymore on ebay...

$60 is a pretty decent price, but it doesnt look like there are anymore on ebay...

Yeah, none recently.

Mine came from not far from me in the defense and intelligence contractor corridor in the Virginia suburbs of DC. I expect it was part of the occasional sell-offs you run across of oddball I.T. surplus parts from R & D projects that didn't work out. I try to attend hamfests in the region 'cause this kind of stuff turns up at them frequently as well.

Best regards,

Jim

• 9 months later...

It has been some time since this thread was last discussed, and many of the keyboards mentioned are nowhere to be found.

What keyboards are people using these days?

I like the L3 keyboards, but really can't justify spending that kind of dough on one. Something small and rugged would be ideal, possibly something that folds up like the Cherry keyboard, but I really haven't seen too many options available.

I got an L3 keyboard for $50 usd, but I am only really using CL-WiFi ever. but, the L3 has been in constant use at my father's house where he is doing music production with mostly mouse clicking (he doesn't know any keyboard shortcuts, so he just uses the keyboard for labeling tracks, etc).

It has been some time since this thread was last discussed, and many of the keyboards mentioned are nowhere to be found.

What keyboards are people using these days?

I like the L3 keyboards, but really can't justify spending that kind of dough on one. Something small and rugged would be ideal, possibly something that folds up like the Cherry keyboard, but I really haven't seen too many options available.

Search Amazon for: Solid Tek KB-P3100BU ASK-3100U USB 4x9 SuperMini Wired Keyboard - Black

Been using this recently on the cart with a 788T, works great.

Best regards,

Jim

That's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/FE01-BL-Wireless-Keyboard-Mouse-Touchpad/dp/B003UE52ME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378925200&sr=8-1&keywords=rii+mini+wireless+keyboard

without the pop-under ads and such.

Be sure to buy the USB 2.4 GHz. version. The Bluetooth version requires a commuter to connect the keyboard and dongle.

Best regards,

Jim

Im trying to stay wired. Re: the 2.4 gHz discussion elsewhere on this site, Ive got too many things trying to eat up that space, which is quickly becoming a recipe for disaster. Bluetooth also uses 2.4gHz, so Im trying to cut down on all that as much as possible.

btw if anyone wants to sell their L3 keyboard I'll take it off your hands!

Im trying to stay wired. Re: the 2.4 gHz discussion elsewhere on this site, Ive got too many things trying to eat up that space, which is quickly becoming a recipe for disaster. Bluetooth also uses 2.4gHz, so Im trying to cut down on all that as much as possible.

btw if anyone wants to sell their L3 keyboard I'll take it off your hands!

The SolidTek keyboard is very robust and not all that expensive, Also a better form factor than the L3 keyboard unless you intend on strapping one around your wrist. And while cheap at half the price it's far less than $230.

Best regards,

Jim

• 2 years later...

Found this

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/272190514463

anyone using/tried it with CL8/788T?

i contacted the seller, he said it's available with USB type A connector to plug into CL8  the one pictured has type B for the 6 series. He also said he's sold a few with type A USB and had positive feedback 

curious to know for sure  

thanks 

I can't speak to compatibility but the L3 pops up on eBay from time to time at great prices.  I bought a new one in november for $25USD.  I keep it as a back-up to the now discontinued apple a1242, which I like for its robustness and low profile