Dialogue about Sound Works Collection lack of dialogue

boomhead

I enjoy the short videos about film sound created and posted by Sound Works Collection but I find it annoying that there is almost never any reference to location sound recording. Watching the piece about "Chasing Mavericks," for example, you'd think there isn't any dialogue in the whole film. In the profile of "Life of Pi" it's stated that there is "virtually no production track usable." Really?? I find that hard to believe.

Does this bug anybody else?

http://soundworkscollection.com/

" almost never any reference to location sound recording. "

nothing new...

Many years ago, I made that same observation about MIX magizines articles on Movies and their sound...

to the audience, and to the readers, it isn't about the production tracks.

" "Life of Pi" it's stated that there is "virtually no production track usable." Really?? I find that hard to believe. "

I don't.

Because the location audio doesn't sell to much for the rest of the world

but only for us. That's simple. The image with 128 tracks, LEDs, mixing in big screen is good image.

Who want to see one guy with boompole and one sound mixer just press a record button?

Of course I'm joking.. Black humor but..

• 3 months later...

I just found this in my email today. 

http://soundworkscollection.com/videos/production-sound-mixer-nicholas-allen?utm_source=March+2013+-+Yoav+Goren&utm_campaign=Feb+2013+Newsletter+-+Nick+Allen%2C+CAS%2FMPSE&utm_medium=email

It's a profile piece on Nicholas Allen, the sound mixer for parenthood. 

Great video that goes into the nuances of our craft. 

Many years ago, I made that same observation about MIX magizines articles on Movies and their sound...

to the audience, and to the readers, it isn't about the production tracks.

Yeah, that always seemed a bit odd to me considering the articles on classic album where the engineer would explain " I did xyz with abc mic then taped the toms with sellotape to get the crack of the stick on hamster skin".

Grant.

In the profile of "Life of Pi" it's stated that there is "virtually no production track usable." Really?? I find that hard to believe.

Does this bug anybody else?

"if it was I can count it on one hand"

Everything that was not on the water must be one finger then. Those sounded like production audio to me. Only one line stood out as ADR, too me. And that was in the park on the bench to open the scene. When the boats not violently rocking, and can't imagine why they couldn't get useable dialog. They even had a garbage matte card to pull. But perhaps there were other ambient considerations on a stage like that. The gimble rig does create noise, and perhaps exhaust is needed on the water stage. Surely someone on this group has worked on a water stage like this?