Post sound market outlook

Wondering if anyone can chime in on what the job market looks like for post sound. I've been doing live and production sound in various forms for the past decade (in my late 20s now) and have always shrugged off the idea of getting into the post realm.

Is it an avenue worth pursuing currently? Are there practical, hands-on programs or schools in the LA area I can look at? Do any of you combo production / post guys find that having the ability to do post helps book more and better production jobs?

Thanks in advance!

The general consensus seems to be that the same thing that happened to the music industry, is now happening to the film industry.

If you would not consider getting into music production because of the lack of "real studio jobs", I would urge you not to consider getting into post for the same reasons.

I have talked to SEVERAL big names in post in the last week, and this is all agreed.

If you want a job working for someone else in post you need to get yourself to LA and start campaigning for an intern position, while figuring out how to support yourself while you do this. If you are talented, diplomatic and lucky you might find a job, although the odds are very much against it. If you really have to do post because that's where your passion is then buy yourself a rig and start to work on whatever you can find, while also trying the interning route. Many are called and few are chosen, and the chosen are usually crazy-willing-to-starve-to-do-it-at-all-costs. If you want an easier road to a job be a dental technician or a software engineer--fields that are expanding these days.

philp

I get internship offers every week. I have actually received a resume from -not kidding- a Grammy winner who, apparently, isn't doing as well as you can imagine.

The studio market is at a very difficult point right now. Those who have steady gigs are already in well entrenched, and there are no more decent gigs to be had. There's a bunch of kids with $5,000 Pro Tools systems hustling aggressively and mixing indie films, web series, even TV - I know this for a fact. Studios are closing left and right. Not a good time.

Sorry for the downer news,

BK

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely 100% NOT true. There are plenty of programs in other states that have deals with local post houses.

I completely disagree with you. just because you have some local post getting paid to take your students means nothing. Especially once you get to LA and it is a completely different market and demand.