Coax-antennas: was 6.35mm TS-Jack used for remoting antenna

DjGo

Dear group,

a sound-buddy of mine suggested to me to investigate the possibilities of remoting my di-pole antenna's to the shoulders on my audio-harness by creating a system that simplifies connecting and disconnecting the antennas using Tip-Sleeve jack-plugs.. This way I could leave the antennas attached to the harness while putting down the sound-bag when needed.. The system would comprise of two cables with Tip-Sleeve 6.35mm Female-jack plugs, attached to the antennas.. the cables attached to the harness in a smart fashion (hence, mainly invisible, so non-obstructive).. This way the short jumper-antenna-cables with the Male Tip-Sleeve 6.35mm jacks can stay connected to my antenna-distro.

Obviously, there are ways to remote antennas but has it been done by using these 'guitar-plugs'.. it seemes like a nice solution because plugging in and out is pretty easy.. could use XLR-plugs for that matter.

Anyone of the smarter forum-members like to chime in?

Thanks again,

Diego

You're attaching dipoles to your harness? I don't know how, but I'd say they'd get in the way.

I'd be more keen to use a Coax Dipole (Lectro make one, and have info on making one yourself) up the chest strap area, and then make a simple BNC breakaway - barrel on the bag end, nut on the harness end.

Either way, you'll have to deal with a little bit of loss from the jumpers and additional connectors, but probably not enough to bother about.

Well thanks for the tips. The dipoles wouldn't be more in the way than strapped to the bag like I used to do, BUT, I forgot about the coax-'dipoles', indeed a more practical option... Any experience with them in real life? And in which direction should they be placed for optimal reception? Horizontally or vertically (axis of antenna perpendicular to transmitter)? Still wondering if jacks can be used without too much loss cause I really really hate those BNC-connectors.

You can make a quick disconnect BNC by cutting away the entire locking ring (cylinder) from the male BNC. The RF connection is still made by the 6 fingers on the male barrel. It works just fine if there is little vibration or tugging on the cable.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Well thanks for the tips. The dipoles wouldn't be more in the way than strapped to the bag like I used to do, BUT, I forgot about the coax-'dipoles', indeed a more practical option... Any experience with them in real life? And in which direction should they be placed for optimal reception? Horizontally or vertically (axis of antenna perpendicular to transmitter)? Still wondering if jacks can be used without too much loss cause I really really hate those BNC-connectors.

If your TX antennas are vertical, the coax dipole should be vertical too.

It might get pricy, but perhaps Lemo have a push-pull product that could be used, rather than BNC? ...Larry?

In any case, I'd love to know the reason(s) behind using the connectors we do for RF - shielding?

Edit: never mind, it's all on the wiki page, naturally.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RF_connector

Okay, let's forget about the original question: I've just never, never made any RF-cable, so, I never bothered to look deeper into the purpose and construction of RF-connectors.... Now that I've looked into the matter more and soldered my first (!) BNC, I know why a TR-jack would be a compromise..

So, I made two coax-dipole antenna's with a little help of the wireless-guide Lectrosonics so kindly offers as a free download, and a pdf document Amphenol published on the web... and whaddayaknow: it works like a charm. Antennas stuck with tape to a cupboard, but I can imagine they could still perform reasonably well while being cleverly 'sewn' into a seam of my petrol harness.. Range was absolutely workable (about 100 m, no line of sight between buildings), so perhaps I've found me a way of using remote antennas while runnin' and gunnin' without poking my eyes out with a SNA600 screwed to my shoulder..

I just couldn't believe how simple it is to make.. so wonderful..

post-191-0-30916700-1354746690_thumb.jpg

post-191-0-16495500-1354746727_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I am thinking about antennas on shoulder straps, too. My approach would be, leaving the dipole wired and pad it in a cordura or nylon strap. This can be attached to the shoulder straps by velcro or pushbuttons. When you take off your bag, the antenna rips of your harness. When the antenna strap is sewn or bucked to the bag, there is even no tension on the cable or connector.

Would the proximity of the receiving antenna to the body have any influence on reception, when facing towards the TX?

[snip]

Would the proximity of the receiving antenna to the body have any influence on reception, when facing towards the TX?

A lot of influence, just like for transmitter antennas. Figure that if it close to the body, you will get one third the range compared to a free standing antenna. Try to get the antenna up, away from the body. Beanie mount would be best. April 1 is just around the corner.

For those who are concerned about appearance, a co-ax antenna with the end sticking up in free space from the shoulder strap would work well. The co-ax is flexible so you wouldn't seriously poke yourself and it is visually thin.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

A lot of influence, just like for transmitter antennas. Figure that if it close to the body, you will get one third the range compared to a free standing antenna. Try to get the antenna up, away from the body. Beanie mount would be best. April 1 is just around the corner.

For those who are concerned about appearance, a co-ax antenna with the end sticking up in free space from the shoulder strap would work well. The co-ax is flexible so you wouldn't seriously poke yourself and it is visually thin.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Larry, what would be the ideal (or least bad) antenna setup for bag users, in your opinion? Obviously we COULD all carry around two stands with sharkfins on them, but the practicality of doing so is not great. The ideal compromise, perhaps?

• 4 weeks later...

Just made myself a pair of co-ax antenna and was wondering how critical is it to not nick the shielding that comprises the bottom 1/4 wave. A few of the strands are broken but as I'll be covering with heat shrink will this be sufficient in completing the antenna without it being compromised or do I have to start again?

Trev

Just made myself a pair of co-ax antenna and was wondering how critical is it to not nick the shielding that comprises the bottom 1/4 wave. A few of the strands are broken but as I'll be covering with heat shrink will this be sufficient in completing the antenna without it being compromised or do I have to start again?

Trev

Just put a small bucket under the nick to catch the leaking electrons.

No problem. The antenna will not be compromised by a few broken stands. You could lose 90% of the strands over a short distance (a nick)and not be able to measure the difference, evewn with lab gear.

Best,

Larry F

Larry, what would be the ideal (or least bad) antenna setup for bag users, in your opinion? Obviously we COULD all carry around two stands with sharkfins on them, but the practicality of doing so is not great. The ideal compromise, perhaps?

The coax antenna as mentioned in the posts above is my choice for size and portability. Otherwise, the 1/4 wave whips work about as well as anything that will fit in a bag, or slightly above it. Getting the antennas up away from blocking objects (bodies, gear) is more important than the type of antenna until you are fully up in the air, away from such stuff. Then the type of antenna can play a factor. Getting the talent antenna angled away from the body can help a lot also. We have the jointed antenna for transmitters that you can adjust at a 30 to 45 degree tilt from the body. They are a touch fragile at the moment though we have a stronger design for the future. Meanwhile, we are giving away the current ones. If you want to try some, email me at larryf@lectrosonics.com with the usual name address etc.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

" put a small bucket under the nick to catch the leaking electrons. "

I have a supply of bit-buckets from my early days as a computer programmer/analyst

perfect for production sound mixers

these worked well all the way from the early PCAM days (pinched card accounting machines) up through the later COBOL programming days when we were plotting the Y2K exploit.

No longer available in stores,  but only through this offer for just $9.95 (+s/h) CA residents add tax...

and if you order now, you can have a 2nd bit bucket at no cost, just pay additional s/h

sorry, no COD's

operators are standing ...by