Upgrading g3 wireless

Winter

Hi!

I'm going to upgrade my Senn EW g3 and I'm a little bit confused about the next purchase...

Within my budget I doubt between the new Audio Ltd. EN2 series http://www.audioltd.com/eng/

and some used Lectrosonics like the old UCR210D receiver with the UM200C transmitter.

Both systems are more or less in the same price range.

Since I work 99,99% of the times in docos and reality I REALLY like the scan function in those EN2 but I'm scared they're not good enough to be a real upgrade from my g3's. I don't know also if they're powereful enoug when it comes to transmission and avoiding drop outs (they will be better than g3 i guess, but I've did'nt try by myself).

The Lectros have proven to be very nice, but I'm scared about the mechanical freq. setting.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance!

As a British based recordist I suppose I should be championing the Audio En2's. While they are an improvement on the G3's it isn't a dramatic improvement.

There is no need to be scared of the hex based frequency setting feature of the Lectro's but understand your reluctance compared to the visual display and scanning feature of the En2's.

I have a few questions... do you regularly work with other recordists and if so, what do they have? Do you need to think about remaining compatible wit them?

Finally, could you continue to save and make more of an upgrade in a few months time?

As a British based recordist I suppose I should be championing the Audio En2's. While they are an improvement on the G3's it isn't a dramatic improvement.

There is no need to be scared of the hex based frequency setting feature of the Lectro's but understand your reluctance compared to the visual display and scanning feature of the En2's.

I have a few questions... do you regularly work with other recordists and if so, what do they have? Do you need to think about remaining compatible wit them?

Finally, could you continue to save and make more of an upgrade in a few months time?

Well, if the EN2 are'nt a HUGE upgrade...I will probably go for used Lectros...I do know people using Lectros but low-budget recordist are constantly on G3's or G2's here in my country.

But man, you CAN'T rely on those wireless if you go out for serious work...

I'll take a look at bblist.com, thanks for the tip ;)

For me, my UM200/UCR200 was a real upgrade over the G3, much better sound and much better RF (My only drawback is the high consumption on the UCR). The mechanical freq change isn't a problem. I'm using the RF Explorer for scan

Thanks for your feedback, it seems that Lectro is the way to go for me...I did'nt knew the RF Explorer! Very cool unit!!

Winter ,

Don't rely on just one recommendation for the good and bad in radio mics.

Following the UK demise of channel 69 to 38 I replaced my Audio 2020's with the dual receiver EN2's and after 3 biggish feature films I have no complaint about their performance.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s. (Production Sound Mixer.)

Winter ,

Following the UK demise of channel 69 to 38 I replaced my Audio 2020's with the dual receiver EN2's and after 3 biggish feature films I have no complaint about their performance.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s. (Production Sound Mixer.)

Thanks for your feedback Malcom! It's the first first-hand very positive feedback about the EN2. Could you tell me something more about their performance in comparison with your old 2020's? Thanks!

Winter ,

Hi Malcolm, what you said is very true. As we have seen on this forum, we all have different opinions of what makes a good wireless microphone setup... even down to specific combinations of lav mic used. I perhaps should have quantified my comments.

Winter, I can only speak of my personal experiences of using En2's (so please do take others onboard and don't take mine as gospel!). Myself nd others expressed our opinions of the En2's in this thread

Whatever you decide, I strongly recommend you listen to as many differnet wireless units as you can before spending your hard earned money. You'll know the one for you when you listen to them!

Winter, I can only speak of my personal experiences of using En2's (so please do take others onboard and don't take mine as gospel!). Myself nd others expressed our opinions of the En2's in this thread

Thanks for posting the link!

Have you used the diversity RX or the other one? I do work on run'n'gun shootings 99% of the time, RF immunity and range are the main thing for me, they come first than sound. I need to not lose signal when I'm shooting in public square full of iphones... Soundwise I could be happy with the G3's, really.

Whatever you decide, I strongly recommend you listen to as many differnet wireless units as you can before spending your hard earned money. You'll know the one for you when you listen to them!

Good advice, not easy here in Spain, but it would be a lot easier to choose if I could listen to them!