Unpublished Cantar X2 Specs

Earl

" So why, I wonder, would that be an important spec? "

as far as the sampling rate: it is calculus.

the more we sample our wave, the more precisely we approximate the actual analog (infinite samples) wave we are sampling.

there is no usable audio for humans up there, and we could argue that excess hi freq response can potentially have adverse effects on our desired audio, much as excess low freq response does...

between 22 kHz (788T) and 200 kHz (SX-ST).

Where are coming from those specs ? As regards with the 788T I just found on Sound Devices'website :

"10 Hz–20 kHz, +0.1, -0.5 (gain controls centered, measured at 48 kHz)"

Don't know at 96k.

" So why, I wonder, would that be an important spec? "

as far as the sampling rate: it is calculus.

the more we sample our wave, the more precisely we approximate the actual analog (infinite samples) wave we are sampling.

there is no usable audio for humans up there, and we could argue that excess hi freq response can potentially have adverse effects on our desired audio, much as excess low freq response does...

Well yes, exactly. That's why I wonder why anything beyond 20k is required. That's 20k for freq response not sampling rate.

And no, because we were not talking about sampling rates (yet).

" I wonder why anything beyond 20k is required "

required by who? (whom?)

certainly a wider frequency response than is really required might seem to some to be a valuable attribute, it may seem to others to be an issue ...

Adult humans only rarely can even hear much, if anything, at or above 20kHz. a microphone may pick up ultra sound sources, and they might be a detriment, perhaps affecting the audio circuitry (driving it into distortion!)...

when most folks can detect ultrasonic sounds, they typically don't really hear them, so much as feel them, and they tend to find them irritating.

but, hey, what ever floats your boat!

I am curious why you think you might need a frequency response beyond the 22kHz of 788T?

Hi Constantin. From a listening perspective I don't "need" the additional bandwidth nor was I implying that anyone does, though I see how some folks may think that's what I meant. I simply want to know the Cantar's full specs.

IOW, you are an audio snob....

And to think that the world is inundated with similarly highbrowed reprobates who even wittingly pervert audio forums. It's all so immoral and depraved.

Well, you did write this:

As I intimated, here I only wanted the Cantar specs.

Certainly one could argue that higher bandwidths are practically irrelevant to the human ear, but I prefer the higher specs on various other recorders and their preamps for critical music recording. Specs aside, the Cantar has many features that are vital to me in my work. So in fact my predilections aren't entirely snobbish 8)

As I intimated, here I only wanted the Cantar specs.

Sure, and I can't help you there, but you readily dismissed Sound Devices and Zaxcom Recorders as unsuitable for the MKH800. I am simply interested in how you arrived at that conclusion. You seemed to indicate that your opinion was based on the frequency response of the preamps alone, but maybe there's more? This is curiosity on my part, not a critique

Thanks Marc, you're right. Yet with regard to preamps, I much prefer the Nagra VI to the 788T, Nomad, etc. But my needs also require certain features that are only found in the Cantar. I'm sure looking forward to the X3 :)

you readily dismissed Sound Devices

I'm sorry if my initial comment on the 788T was misleading. I simply meant that there are other recorders with higher specs that I prefer and are more suitable for me.

I'm sorry if my initial comment on the 788T was misleading. I simply meant that there are other recorders with higher specs that I prefer and are more suitable for me.

Just out of curiosity, could you share with us what features are only found in the Cantar that are so vital to your specific kind of work? I am well aware of each individual's preference for one recorder over another, features, functions, ease of use and so forth, but it is not clear to me what it is that all the other recorders are lacking that you need.

could you share with us what features are only found in the Cantar that are so vital to your specific kind of work?

Play&Rec, extreme resistance to dust and water, and several other tidbits... like the "huge" dynamic range and [unquestionably] "unsurpassed" mic pres.

quite subjective

At least here ;)

but you are an audio-snob!

I'm actually quite approachable in Cantar circles ;) But to me every piece of equipment I buy is just the means to a far higher end. With all due respect to Aaton, I never want to be remembered as a Cantar user but someone who accomplished good and helped others do the same.

• 3 weeks later...

Play&Rec, extreme resistance to dust and water, and several other tidbits... like the "huge" dynamic range and [unquestionably] "unsurpassed" mic pres.

That and the fact that the machine is virtually future proof. Anyway, it's easy to solve the case of the missing specs:

;)