Low levels in Premiere

Richard Thomas

This is a good reason to provide post with a "Slate" track at the beginning of the day that names the file, provides info about the timecode and date, and then lays down -20dB tone on all tracks. If nothing else, they can pull that file into the timeline and see where the tone comes up on their own meters. If it doesn't come up at -20, then a fader is down or something is out askew on the treadle.

I've had issues with the Sony XD camera format. After talking to various editors and showing them the levels recorded(including tone) we concluded it is an ingest issue and I should try to record my levels hotter. This proved to help with the ingest but there has been no "answer" on how to fix it at there end. This has occurred in numerous edit facilities but all go through a server. Not sure if this helps or if you are using this type of camera(XD 700 and 800)

Thanks guys, I'll ask him to check his faders- he said he's not as experienced on the audio side of things.

I actually couldn't have recorded tone on this one as I only brought the recorder along (it was a short voiceover recording). Definately worth doing in future. I usually do it when recording to linear formats, although I've had a few funny looks or "haven't done that in years" when asking to record bars and tone to the camera.

I usually do it when recording to linear formats, although I've had a few funny looks or "haven't done that in years" when asking to record bars and tone to the camera.

Bars and Tone still have meaning and importance, even in digital recording. If nothing else, it'll help check the signal flow to see where and when the problem is occurring. I always, always tell the crews to do that at the beginning of the day, even if it's just 10 seconds. If nothing else, it's a way to do a test recording and play it back to make sure something is sticking to the hard drive.