Being Ready For Rain

stephensharrod

Was wondering what everybody's methods were. I have the boom rain guard, and the cover for my petrol bag and I wrapped the boom in plastic for the connections, being extra careful to not have much plastic bag noise. I know trew has a whole cover guard. But I always wonder what other people's methods are, and I always see on big shows they have rain towers and everything and people just get drenched. What does everyone do to keep the gear dry?

I have both the petrol poncho and apron. haven't used the apron as yet. Rainman for boom, though I find the fluffy is usually sufficient.

Camera/electrical tape around the xlr connectors. On a doco one of the other soundies xlr connectors (at pistol grip) filled up with water in torrential rain. He didn't have a good day. Shower caps can work well over pouches on the outside of your bag. Oh and snap lock bags of various sizes from A3 to little snack size ones.

I have a lightweight raincoat that folds into itself (nice and compact), a Petrol Apron and gloves (a wet boompole gets very cold in Canada) They are always with me, just in case.

I also have a few clear disposable ponchos that I carry around to help my fellow crew members if we get caught by a surprise shower.

• 3 months later...

Anyone have a recommendation for a good rain shell / jacket?

I have my gear covered for field use: Petrol Rain Poncho and a Remote Audio Rainman, but I'm looking for a rain shell / jacket that is lightweight and packable, and one that I can wear for travel to and from locations during wet weather. Carrying an umbrella plus gear isn't practical, and I need something that isn't too hot in the summer when it rains. I'm thinking a rain 'shell' vs. a rain 'jacket', and when it gets colder I can always layer. I've been shopping around and it seems as though there are many good makes / brands out there. So many that it might just be a buy and try kind of thing. They all seem to get pretty good reviews once you go fully taped seams and above the $75 price range. 

Any personal experiences with a great rain jacket? Recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Roso -

Is that the backside of the collapsible UrstaCart ?

It looks like a great rig you are running there!

MF

Yes- An old battered urstacart but its brilliant. I've kept everything to the top half so it can be split for car rigs, or for carrying up stairs.

..and back on topic, it means that with the driving sideways (sometimes upward) rain we get in scotland, only the top half needs sheltered.

Still like my old Inverness Cape in combination with an OR hat for rain I keep in one of the pockets:

icb_bandspec_diagram.gif

Handy for non-booming bag work since the cape layer is easily buttoned over the bag, yet reachable inside and remaining under cover. Arms are completely free to move (no sleeves).  Folds up into a small package. Some come with a snap pocket for storage. Buy larger than your size.

Available at any Scottish shop.

244046470_f3e208824f_d.jpg

Coming in second is this coat:

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-138/031171/Divegear-Boat-Coat-Dive-Jacket---Fleece-Lined-with-Hood.html

031171_big_new3.jpg

Fleece lined. Velcro-closure sleeves. Top/bottom-opening zipper. Hood. Down side? Material makes that swish noise. The lining tends to push out of the sleeve when putting the coat on. I don't mind but there are those who do. Wardrobe got the crew a deal with the company, so a lot of the crew got 'em and liked 'em, me included. Wardrobe uses 'em for cast warming coats.