788t with CL-8 as Input trims?

octophonic

First post ... testing 1, 2, is this thing on?

I think I know the answer but was wondering if the CL-8 can be used as the input trim controls rather than post trim faders?

The CL-9 has dedicated trims and connects via the same USB port so surely this would be possible with a firmware update?

Cheers

Chris

From what I see in the 788 manual, there's an option to make the 788's front panel trim pots either Trim or Fader controls, but nothing about turning the CL-8 as trim controls. I've used the CL-9 before and never even considered using the CL-8 for anything; in fact, I think the manual specifically cautions not to have both controllers plugged in at the same time.

In cases where I'm concerned about clipping, I'll grab both the trim pot and the fader and make a simul move if I have to, based on the dialogue.

Thanks Marc. I had that info from the manual as well. Don't think there is a way to connect both at once but what I was suggesting is that if the CL-9 can transmit Trim over USB then surely it would be a firmware update to enable the CL-8 to act in this way also.

Would anyone else prefer to have an option where the CL-8 was trim rather than post trim fader?

Thanks Marc. I had that info from the manual as well. Don't think there is a way to connect both at once but what I was suggesting is that if the CL-9 can transmit Trim over USB then surely it would be a firmware update to enable the CL-8 to act in this way also.

Would anyone else prefer to have an option where the CL-8 was trim rather than post trim fader?

Octophonic - is there a reason that you would want the CL8 to be the trim? An example? Just curious. Thanks!

I do a lot of ADR recording with various preamps as a front end for Pro Tools. The best have a single variable gain up to 70dB with no indents on the pot and digital out as AES. The 788t with big trims would be ideal, especially due to the fact that the pots themselves are virtually frictionless. Something often complained about in the field.

I do a lot of ADR recording with various preamps as a front end for Pro Tools. The best have a single variable gain up to 70dB with no indents on the pot and digital out as AES. The 788t with big trims would be ideal, especially due to the fact that the pots themselves are virtually frictionless. Something often complained about in the field.

I do a bit of ADR myself, and I typically have my setup in the "British style" or I guess it is British style, in that the recorder channels coarse gain is set in the ball park with the gain switches, but the output fader is in fact ridden to dial in the record level, sort of a dual gainstage approach.

I've worked this way too and have this ability on the Amek CIBs I use at present. My preference is to eliminate the other analogue stage and have a smooth gain travel on one pot, with digital out. Discussed this with Tim Farrant at Buzz yesterday and he is prepared to mod one of his pre's to do this but of course that's in the analogue world.

Ideally I want the front end as the 788t running as TOD backup and passing digital to Pro Tools for the actual session media.