788t Linking Inputs and Balance Control

octophonic

Post 2 :)

3 more and I can post a WTB: CL-8 on the notice board. Bear with me please.

I normally use the input linking feature for matched pairs/quads, MS, or my 7.1 Holophone. Always with the balance set to C as I want to restrict any fiddling to post production after the recording.

So, lets say I link two channels with completely different mics/characteristics and they present with significantly different input levels at the same gain setting. By using the balance (which I know is NOT pan) to even up the relative levels to the record tracks, I'm assuming this is digitally boosting the lower level and attenuating the stronger signal to make up the difference.

Here's my question... Is the balance a post trim attenuation/boost like a fader? Or is it adding/subtracting to the trim level on either side of the trim input to achieve the result?

If it is a post trim boost/cut then does the clip indicator still engage when the higher of the two mics hits the red, even though it appears attenuated? Does this even make sense?

Cheers

Chris

" Is the balance a post trim attenuation/boost like a fader? Or is it adding/subtracting to the trim level on either side of the trim input to achieve the result? "

yes, sorta', and no and the idea is that the "trading" area is for regular participating members

Edited by studiomprd

Thanks senator Mike for your warm welcome to the forum. Everyone has to start somewhere to become a regular.

Sound Devices have emailed back with different info although it contradicts itself...

"The balance controls are a post trim attenuation. There is more attenuation on the opposite side of the mic. For example your channel 1 mic would only get up to a 4dB boost when over to the left but will have a full cut on the right side. The iso track meters will follow these levels so you would see the track clip if it does clip."

So you are saying the balance is not post trim as a fader but a digital add/boost to input so what I see on the meters is still accurate for input clipping?