Chasing down IFB's

Michael Miramontes

Forgive my rant but I'm sick of chasing down IFB's. Last night I got the usual "um, I left my IFB on the table over there" and "oh man, I'm sorry I don't remember where I left it" and " I gave it to that guy".

So, going forward I will have a call sheet in front of me and as IFB's get handed out I will ask for the person's name and "check the IFB out to them" by putting the serial number next to their name. This way production knows who is responsible for each IFB handed out in case one ever gets lost/damaged.

Just thought I'd vent and maybe share a good tip for anyone not doing something like this already. =)

A sign-out sheet is good if you have the opportunity to fill it out properly, It does mean that you have to have people come to you individually for headsets. I've often found that I was expected to hang them on the director's chairs at the beginning of the day so people could simply take them as needed.

For recovery, having a box or bin with a sign on it to leave headsets and receiver packs HERE is also good.

You don't have to leave it at Video Village all day - probably more effective if you put in out an hour or so before expected wrap. Or even a bit earlier as production personnel tend to drift away well before wrap.

David

Yep, check out, works for some situations (probably not a good plan on "real" shows, makes you seem petty ?) and David's collection point scheme has also worked pretty well for me, along with other variants, are all good, depending.

In the end, the finding, fiddling, and frustration are all part of the rental process for them.

When they go farther astray than usual , I report it missing to the AD for the production report.(and often they get it found...)

My utility starts the count about an hour before wrap.

Signing out is nice, in theory, but you'll get in more trouble calling out the above-the-liner "responsible" for the missing IFB/Comtek. And they always grab each other's as they walk around all day. It's simply impossible to track who is wearing what. I do label Director, Script, and regular producers, but one of our writers took off with a labeled one the other day. Not hers.

I include basic headsets as expendables. No L & D.

If they go missing, I have it noted on the production report. If they ask "whose was it", I just say that they are always swapped around at the monitors. Impossible to know.

I've only ever permanently lost 2. Each time I knew exactly where they were (in the EPs car - 2 diff movies, 2 diff EPs). The UPMs would work on it, but eventually just said, "Bill me."

Signing out is nice, in theory, but you'll get in more trouble calling out the above-the-liner "responsible" for the missing IFB/Comtek. And they always grab each other's as they walk around all day.

I get what you're saying but I have a hard time buying into this whole "above the line" nonsense. Surely some people get paid more then I do, and have starbucks brought in for them, but that isn't going to stop me from asking "them" for my gear. After all, I'm not going to walk around set with my tail between my legs just because I'm a soundie.

I'm sure many will disagree with my reasoning, which is fine. Everyone handles things differently and there is always more then one way to skin a cat. I've just always been a "Type A" kinda guy.

Some people use shoe organizers to hang them up. I found a mesh shower organizer so I can quickly see which ones are missing.

I sometimes label the main ones "director" "scriptie" etc. It also helps us learn who leaves them on the floor at video village etc, sometimes they are returned while we are in the middle of something else. I also put stickers on mine with a 1" tall letter, and a sticker with my name/number in case one is lost in a company move. People have a tendency to grab the same letter, OR try to "upgrade" to the higher letter. Kind of funny because "A" is an older unit than "F".

You could probably use something like a walkie signout sheet: http://gothamsound.com/docs/Walkie%20Signout%20Sheet.pdf

Michael,

You could ask them to leave their car keys with you when they get a set. This works well! I once had a producer who offered to do that because she kept leaving them in her car. She always brought them back after that because we had her car keys.

I started this year calling it at wrap "Comtek Recovery". I'm not sure there is a great answer to your situation. In over 20 years of owning IFB's I have only lost 2. They seem to always find their way home. We have found it hard to do a check-out system because there is always a last moment need for a AD or PA that is cuing or other crew member or guest.

We do have them labeled with the directors name, DP, script, AD's, camera, guest #1, and so on. That at least tells us which one is missing. After one day of not making it back in the "Comtek Recovery" they go on the production report which lets everyone to look out for the missing one. They do seem to show up in a day or two.

I like "stick find' locator, very cool!

Cheers,

Whit

Michael,

They are the bosses. Like it or not. I'm not about correcting their behavior and telling them how to manage gear production is renting for their use, and will replace if they lose. And it's never us asking which is the problem. It's when you ask a PA, and it goes blasting through open walkies that so-n-so lost his Comtek, which he may or may not have done. It can embarrass them. I find letting them show up on their own a much better policy. But to each their own.

I own plenty of Comteks, so if they go missing for a bit, no big deal.

Robert

Some people use shoe organizers to hang them up. I found a mesh shower organizer so I can quickly see which ones are missing. I sometimes label the main ones "director" "scriptie" etc.
This is my Comtek Cubbie which I've been using for several years now. I've found that if I just hang it up on the Video village EZ-Up or on one of my C-stands, that the (qualified) people who reach in and take a set, usually returns it when the time comes. I, or another sound dept. person will announce very clearly that there are Comteks available in the hanging rack and if you need one, help yourself and replace it when you're done with it. I think the psychological aspect of seeing them organized in their cubbies, compels most responsible people to put them back when their done with them. I also number each one which helps keep track of any which do come up missing - Dir #1, Script #2, etc.

post-52-0-83929200-1354758288_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I only just started numbering my Comteks in the last couple of months, and that makes a big difference. It's amazing where they wind up at the end of a shoot, especially if you're swamped with ad agency execs and other non-technical people. I rarely have problems with the director or scripty, but it's the hangers-on who treat Comteks too casually, like they're a $10 Walkman or something.

I seem to recall Jan McL also had a very cool "IFB Tree" that held all the xmitters and headsets. I had to expand to 15 Comteks just a few months ago, and may finally have to break down and get some better way of organizing them instead of throwing them all in a big Pelican case...

I had to expand to 15 Comteks just a few months ago, and may finally have to break down and get some better way of organizing them instead of throwing them all in a big Pelican case...

The shoe tree that I use will compress down (like an accordion) to about 18" with all the Comteks and headphones in it. I just put the whole thing in a case and on the next location, I pull it out from the top and there it is, ready to hang!

Whit,

good to hear from you again. I can see how taking their keys really solves the issue. LOL. I do think a labeling system is a good idea and something I should start implementing.

RPSharman,

Yes, I know they are the bosses. I have no problem with that. I can see how embarrassing anyone is no bueno and shouldn't be done.

Chris W,

yeah those things are really amazing. I can't wait to stick one on my daughters forehead the next time I take her to the store. =)

David & John Paul,

yeah, I'm getting started on having some sort of sign out sheet...maybe even something they can sign. Although the signature really means nothing it may be more so a psychological thing to let them know they are responsible.

I guess I was just a bit ticked off last night because we wrapped really late and everyone scattered like roaches after the martini. I was one of the last people to leave since I wasted a lot of time chasing gear. The bottom line is that my gear is very precious to me since I spend quite a bit on it, as I'm sure most everyone here has done as well, so I cringe at the idea of losing an R1a because someone just didn't give a rats ass about the sound guy's stuff. ( I almost punched an AC out for literally tossing my TS-C on the floor after he slated the scene) When I think about it most other departments rent their gear so they don't really have that same pride of ownership as we do.

I understand being pissed about Lectro IFBs, they are pretty expensive, which is one reason I use Comteks, which are also expensive but not as... I'm not going to do a sign out or etc because I agree that there would be pushback, non-cooperation and attitude I don't need and I don't have time for it all anyhow. Comteks are a form of expendable, unfortunately. I make it clear to production how many I'm missing and how much I bill for each one that doesn't come back, that usually gets some PAs on the case but some go permanently astray anyhow (often in car-service cars, yes.) On my jobs the majority of the people using those things are really GUESTS of my client (ie my client's clients), I figure I can ask once politely and after that a-hunting the PAs and I go. I don't like this part of my job, but it's a part nonetheless. Mr. Marts' method is good in that it kind of imprints the idea that the headsets have a "home" on those users who are teachable.

philp

" I have a hard time buying into this whole "above the line" nonsense. "

not on proper (big time) shows...

I guess the question to Michael is about his show... hunting for Comteks, on the clock (usually for my utility, or the AD's PA's) is a cost to the production, as is the missing unit, if not found.

I'm more with Robert on this one, particularly when it is a "real" production, but if it is a lo/no POS production, I'd be much less tolerant; guess the problem is more what to do with the in-between shows, eh ?

*If* I had a utility, I might ask them to record who has which set as opposed to making everyone sign them out. I always get them back, but sometimes they will be missing for a day or two. I've even had them mailed back when a producer had to leave, forgot they were wearing them, and I never knew they were gone.

The big letters help so that we can usually see who is using which letter without the user even noticing.

post-876-0-90753300-1354822752_thumb.jpg

" I have a hard time buying into this whole "above the line" nonsense. "

not on proper (big time) shows...

Still doesn't matter to me. That's just my stance on things.

I guess the question to Michael is about his show... hunting for Comteks, on the clock (usually for my utility, or the AD's PA's) is a cost to the production, as is the missing unit, if not found.

I'm more with Robert on this one, particularly when it is a "real" production, but if it is a lo/no POS production, I'd be much less tolerant; guess the problem is more what to do with the in-between shows, eh ?

....or, it was the last day of a two day shoot on a REAL PRODUCTION so I had to make sure all my gear was accounted for. Yes, anything missing is a cost to production but I rather not rely on waiting to be reimbursed, especially when you have another gig soon after and need ALL your gear.

post-1889-0-22895700-1354893986_thumb.jp

I use these stickers from IDmystuff.com. Someone else on here recommended them. Nice strong metallic vinyl. They are about $10 for a sheet of 22 stickers of various sizes (free shipping). I bought a couple sheets and slapped them on just about all of my gear. Like JP said, not a theft deterrent but enough info to hopefully get them back to you if left behind.