IATSE going into new territory: Live Sports

studiomprd

• 2 weeks later...

After another round of picketing:

http://www.variety.c...CDailyHeadlines

there is a truce:

IATSE has ended its strike against the Pac-12 Network, the union announced today in an email to members. The move comes ten days after the strike started and is in response to agreement by the network to negotiate with the union... “Earlier today we had a cordial conversation with IATSE. As a showing of good faith, we have agreed to continue that conversation after the holidays, and IATSE has agreed to cease its strike, picketing and related activities. We will now focus on televising the games and events we deliver to our fans without interruption or interference.”

http://www.hollywood...e-pac-12-404768

anybody want to bet the rates don't change, but that H&W contributions will be made..??

IATSE Local 487 already represents the technicians working on Comcast Sportsnet broadcasts in the Mid-Atlantic states if I'm not mistaken. Has been doing so for a couple of years, if not longer.

Also, unless I'm mistaken them is us. But I've been wrong before.

Best regards,

Jim (actual name)

Jim I don't think it's happening at CSN Philly YET! I've been wrong before too!

Jim I don't think it's happening at CSN Philly YET! I've been wrong before too!

That's because Local 52 or other locals with jurisdiction in Pennsylvania haven't gotten around to organizing CSN. Our local's (Local 487) jurisdiction is DC/Maryland/Delaware/Virginia which is what the IA regards as the mid-Atlantic region.

Best regards and once again,

Jim (actual name)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

philly sports are all ibew local 98 ... separate contracts for home & visiting shows (home shows have been 98 for 7 years / visiting for 3) nfl work mostly under ibew with fox & cbs having national agreements ... but then there's espn ... in current times all sports shows coming to town need to follow the agreements set forth by the union contracts whether the word union is used or not...

side note baltimore & nyc are IA both went union in the past 5 years  

I am long out of that world - Atlanta has a lot of busy and very good truck sound and RF people that work all over the country.

Due to Turner Broadcasting and Fox Sports, unionizing this market would be tough, but they do need some help....

I think the rate has barely moved in the last 7 years...   and it is very hard stressful work. 

I'm curious about the union contracts as they apply here....   450 or 500 / 10 ? 

Is there any link to info on this ?  If the union rate is not better than that, then organizing will be tough.....

especially if stupid "new media" rules creep in there, should they be based on method of distribution of the programming. 

Might not be a step forward......

MF

" If the union rate is not better than that, "

the pattern is that upon  organizing, the rates do not increase, but H&W contributions get made, and union dues gets collected..

...and rules protecting you against safety violations are in place, and work hours with overtime and minimum turnarounds and holiday pay and meal penalties are guaranteed and a large list of additional protections are in place each day you work under the IATSE agreement.

...and rules protecting you against safety violations are in place, and work hours with overtime and minimum turnarounds and holiday pay and meal penalties are guaranteed and a large list of additional protections are in place each day you work under the IATSE agreement.

Absolutely. And don't forget your guaranteed pension benefit and IAP payout for your retirement. It's never too early to plan for retirement. Unless you want to work forever.