Becoming a Film Sound Mixer in Sydney Australia

Not Chilli

Hi everybody who has opened this link!

I am a Sound Recordist and by that I mean I have a 442, 744t combo, cs3e, ntg3, 2x G3s and a bunch of other little bits. I have done 30+ short films as a recordist, a couple indi features as a recordist and a few as a boomie!

I work in Australia and dream to be either a boom operator (full time) or a major sound mixer in my later years in that order :-)

I get a lot of great sound on sets with my kit but I have been reading a lot of posts on this site and I hear a lot about these amazing carts that a lot of you guy and gals rock out and on top of a lot of jealousy :-) I have a big interest in what is needed to be done to get to that kind of level. I know that the Aussie industry isn't really catered for that kind of work but before I assume to much I was wondering what you all thought.

So the big question is for an Aussie up and coming soundie what would you people recommend I ? Is there a real market here for it? Should I spend some time at the schools here? Or anything of that caliber? Or should I keep on this road keep working short films and some occasional features in hope that skill and luck find me and give me the opportunity to really shine?

Would love to hear what you all think!

Cheers,

Piotr

PS. Tried looking this up on the site and I didn't come up with anything might not have looked hard enough :o

Probably I would add a mixer with more inputs, a Sonosax SX would be my choice. Lots of features were recorded on a 744t I'd use it till cash flow picked up, or use boom recorder and the 744t as time code reference and back up. I'd use the radios you have until I could get some better Lectrosonics out of cash flow. Advice that was given me, it's a a very portable business, it can appear over night and then disappear so be careful with your expeditures. (Thanks John Coffey) I'd also buy a used Schoeps but that is my choice and it is to the taste.

Thanks guys for the input!

I think when the time is right then I will jump on a mixer but I am just concerned that Australia will get to that level where there will be a great need for a sound cart or a boom operator. 99% of jobs I get won't let me get one and that's the same for a few other guys I know. Which is so sad as its so very important to have a good boomie!

Thanks guys for the input!

I think when the time is right then I will jump on a mixer but I am just concerned that Australia will get to that level where there will be a great need for a sound cart or a boom operator. 99% of jobs I get won't let me get one and that's the same for a few other guys I know. Which is so sad as its so very important to have a good boomie!

If you want to work on big features, you need to work under the guys who do big features. There are plenty of big cart mixers in Australia (though the lack of work is pushing some overseas/back to bags/into retirement), you need to seek them out, and get a good chunk of films under your belt as a utility. Unfortunately, 1) you're male and it's desirable to have female utilities, and 2) many of these big cart mixers have established teams - at least as established as the flow of work will allow.

But, offering to fill in when he/she loses a team member to illness or booking clashes might get your foot in the door. Continue mixing your indie features and shorts in the meantime. It's the old Pantene ads - 'it won't happen overnight, but it (might) happen'. Good luck.

Thanks Justin! Being an assistant for a Big Mixer (and i dont me a large mixer haha) would be one of my dreams and i think i will try and throw some CVs their direction and see if i get some bites!

Its interesting to think that they might be searching for female assistants as i know a lot more male soundies. (not to say that there shouldnt be female soundies) but that is a good heads up!

It is a good call Mike and though my child brain likes to think that we are all equal and we both perform to the same strengths, my informed brain can see that there is a greater male population of soundies and whether thats because female soundies are just being let in or if its a profession that they stereotypical dont favor i am not to sure.

But to play devils advocate i wonder why would a sound mixer would choose a female over a male Justin? (just to be clear i dont feel that a female wouldnt be up to the task but more that i am interested why they would choose a lady over a man and not just be uncaring of gender?)

side note: thanks Collin for the tip! Its almost exactly what i am doing i guess i just hope that one day in my later years i will be working on big productions.

Rainier! You make a very good point! My user name is also my name for my business but i at least need to sign off with my real name!

Mike i am hoping that it all pays off in the end but you said it perfectly! Words to live by to get into this industry!

Thanks guys for the input yet again!

Cheers,

Piotr Wasilewski!