San Francisco Sound Mixer available

Hi all!

My name is Paul Dorough and I have worked in Location Audio for a few years. After graduating from San Francisco State College at the end of last year, I opened up my own Location Audio business called Sound Art Film and have been working as a freelance Sound Mixer for the past year.

Recently business has been slow and I have decided to take it upon myself to reach out to people outside of my network in hopes of finding new employment opportunites and to network with other Sound Mixers in the San Francisco area. I am open to general conversations with other Sound Mixers, including just a friendly "hello" to working alongside one another.

More information about me, my experience and equipment can be accessed at my website www.pauldorough.com or feel free to simply send me a pm/email or give me a phone call .

Thanks for taking the time to read through this and have a happy holiday season!

All the best,

Paul Dorough

Sound Art Film

Email: paulsoundart@yahoo.de

phone: 415-450-7729

Webstie: www.pauldorough.com

Hey Chris (I believe I got it right ^_^ )

Thanks for the response and good wishes! I am part of the Freelance Sound Mixers and Recordists group on Facebook and occasionaly post on there. Perhaps thats where my name strikes a bell? Anyways, thanks for the good wishes and have a good holiday season!

Best,

Paul

Hey Philip,

Good to hear from you! It means a lot to me to hear those words of encouragement coming from an established Sound Mixer as yourself. My website is still a work in progress, but im happy to hear that it looks good! :-)

I indirectly know of Keenan Jensen through a D.P. I worked with (Ben Lunden) over the summer. Ben had worked with Keenan in the past and recomended I get in contact with him. I was given his contact information, but I have been a little apprehensive to just contacting him out of the blue.

While I was at SF State, I didn't have the opportunity to take classes from Pat Jackson as her class would fill up quite quickly and then there was the BECA / Cinema divide that made it difficult to add any Cinema course to my ciriculum. I did hear good things though about her class. Some of my mentors at SFSU were Jeff Jacoby and John Barsotti. I don't know if any of those names ring a bell at all.

If it's ok with you and you have time, I'd like to meet with you Philip to gain some insight on the location audio business in the S.F. area. I'd be honered to get an earful of knowledge from someone who has a lot more experience than I. And at very least, I can offer a cup of coffee/tea and a bite to eat.

Thanks for replying and I am looking forward to meeting other Sound Mixers in the area!

Best,

Paul

Hey Paul,

Welcome! Another SF Soundie, and from SF State! You'll feel easily at home here since some have already heard of you and your work. Didn't know you did The Dance for Jacintha earlier this year. I had a full plate during that time of the year and Pete and Keenan were having fun on Mavs, but wonderful to hear they found you to do both production and post. Looks like your 2013 will be a rockin' busy year.

We could definitely go grab a beer and do the best to get the other guys who frequent this forum and others who aren't on yet to have a SF get-together. To be fair, there are lots of others who don't live on the peninsula side and towards inner Walnut/Lafayette/Fremont/SanJose/Sonoma. The last time I suggested a place, it was a funny, yet disastrous turnout. I'll be on the sidelines for now.

While you're at it, quick search and give a shout to Keenan on this board, and a few others if you can Waldo them. PM if needed, but it'll cost you 10 cup'o joes per try.

A.

First off, thank you everyone - Peter, CrewC, Philip, Alan, Chris and Bob - for putting in a voice on this thread! It has turned out better than I anticipated.

Alan, thank you for taking the time to write too! I would of never guessed you were in contact with Jacintha, but I am happy the name rings a bell. Her and her husband, Miikka, we're great to work with on The Dance. I bet Peter and Keenan had a blast on Chasing Mavericks! I can imagine there is some good stories to tell about capturing the production audio in those kind of conditions.

I think CrewC and Alan have a great idea to set up a Sound Mixer's mixer in S.F. . Hopefully with the right bit of luck and planning we can make it work. Perhaps at the start of the new year I could corral enough local Sound Mixers and secure a location for us all to meet and share stories/mingle with one another. If at very least, me and you will have that beer together Alan, haha. Please feel free to contribute in any way to the creation of this event everyone. More ideas the merrier!

CrewC, what is NOLA? Thanks!

Keep those comments coming:-)

And...

Go Gators!

Hi Paul,

What a warm welcome! You've reminded me that I haven't introduced myself to the group yet...doh! I live in Portland now but lived in San Francisco for about twenty years mostly doing live sound. Ive moved into sound for picture because its what I really enjoy. I am inspired by your good attitude and friendly manner. Keep on keeping on and good luck in 2013.

Alistair Duff

Hello Alistar and Michael!

It is nice to hear from you. Thanks for chiming in on this thread.

I appreciate your kind words Alistar and wish you the best in Portland!

I am also glad to hear that a fellow BECA'in is out there working in their field Michael! How is business for you down in LA?

I am in the process of organizing a Sound Mixer's mixer (love that pun) in S.F. at the beginning of next year and if any of you are in town, feel free to drop on by. Otherwise, I'd be happy to chat another time in person,email,phone whatever!

Have a good holiday season!

Best,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Paul,

Nice to meet you. I'm a Sound Mixer in the SF Bay Area and would love to meet up somewhere/sometime especially with the other fellows of our profession.

PM me when you nail down a date and place so we can get together and punch up a few stories!

-

Chris

Hey Chris!

Nice to meet you too. I will send you a pm with the confirmed date, time and place for the gathering 8) Just to let everyone else know, please check the topic A San Francisco Sound Mixer's Mixer under the daily journal section of this website for all the details for the event.

Hope to see everyone there!

Best,

Paul

• 5 months later...