Sennheiser ifb system opinions

vale

hi, i have the opportunity to buy a sennheiser ifb system to use for the video village and so i'd like to have some advice from someone that have already used it.

my system will be 1tx+4rx at the moment and i'm thinking to a SK100 G3 as Transmitter and 4 EK1039 as Receivers.

what i would ask is:

1. sk100 and ek1039 are described as stereto trasmitter/receivers, so they can be used in stereo unbalanced mode by their minijack input/output?

2. what should be the advantage to take a SR300 IEM over the SK100 as transmitter (apart the ability to plug an external antenna and have two balanced inputs on xlr/jack connectors)? - I'm thinking i could have both, one for cart use, the other on the bag.

3. should there be any differences or advantages/disadvantages using as receivers the EK1039 Tour Guide or the EK300 IEM?

Thank everybody in advance, maybe these could be tedious questions, but i've made my research on internet and specifications and it seems to me these are all compatible and valuable options, so i'll be looking for some user feedback.

thanks again,

v.

Edited by vale

hi, i have the opportunity to buy a sennheiser ifb system to use for the video village and so i'd like to have some advice from someone that have already used it.

my system will be 1tx+4rx at the moment and i'm thinking to a SK100 G3 as Transmitter and 4 EK1039 as Receivers.

what i would ask is:

1. sk100 and ek1039 are described as stereto trasmitters, so they can be used in stereo unbalanced mode by their minijack input/output?

2. what should be the advantage to take a SR300 IEM over the SK100 as transmitter (apart the ability to plug an external antenna and have two balanced inputs on xlr/jack connectors)? - I'm thinking i could have both, one for cart use, the other on the bag.

3. should there be any differences or advantages/disadvantages using as receivers the EK1039 Tour Guide or the EK300 IEM?

Thank everybody in advance, maybe these could be tedious questions, but i've made my research on internet and specifications and it seems to me these are all compatible and valuable options, so i'll be looking for some user feedback.

thanks again,

v.

1. SK100 is a mono transmitter. Mic level input on the tip, Line level on the ring. It is not a stereo unbalanced input, as only one of these may be used at a time. EK1039 is not a transmitter, it is the tour guide receiver.

2. Other bonuses are the use of bigger antennas and boosters on the sr300. It can also actually transmit stereo, whereas the SK100 as mentioned is mono.

3. No difference, really.

EK1039 is not a transmitter, it is the tour guide receiver.

Of course, i miswrote. i've edited my original post.

Do you actually need to send them a true stereo feed?

No, i don't for the job i do.

it wast just to understand all the capabilities of these various system.

thanks justin and pkautzch,

vale.

A possibility to consider if you have the rack transmitter; you can send two different mixes to the same frequency, one left, on right. Make summing cables for the headsets, some for the "left mix", some for the "right mix". Et voila. One transmitter, for two different iFB feeds, for director/producer vs boom per example.

A possibility to consider if you have the rack transmitter; you can send two different mixes to the same frequency, one left, on right. Make summing cables for the headsets, some for the "left mix", some for the "right mix". Et voila. One transmitter, for two different iFB feeds, for director/producer vs boom per example.

That's exactly what I do, works very well.

From the manual for EK 300.

"The selected audio mode influences the mode of operation of the balance setting (see previous section).

Stereo: The left-right signals are available as usual. The balance setting serves to

adjust the balance between the left and right stereo signal.

Focus: The left-right signals are mixed and are available as a mono signal in both headphone channels. The balance setting serves to adjust the relative levels of the two separate channels in the mixed mono signal.

In both audio modes, the corresponding transmitter has to be set to stereo mode!"

When used with the Stereo transmitter (sr300) does this mean that you can set the EK300 to 'focus mode' where the L and R are mixed into each headphone and then 'pan hard' either way to hear either the 'boom' mix or 'Video village' mix?

Stereo setting, combined with a custom cable (or custom wired headset for that matter), which forces the left or right signal to both ears, does the trick. Left for village, right for boom opp. for example.

I use the Focus setting in combination with my G2 TX from the bag, since that is just a mono signal. If I set it to Stereo, only one ear of the headset works.

If you're in Europe, Sennheiser IFB is by far your best option. In the US, maybe too, though Comtek and Lectro have good systems too (but a lot more expensive, more so outside of the US). Range (even with a SK100) is always sufficient for video village and boom, and wen things get tough you can just use a longer cable from your mixer to the Tx and put the Tx higher in the air/closer to the Rxs. Only downside so far is that the Rxs have this plastic up/down switch. This will break easily by being pressed into the unit when the director/scripty etc puts it into their back pocket and sits on it.

I have used sennheiser iems for a long time. They are great and imho the best sounding solution. On the other hand the antennas get damaged and a had one screen broken from a client droping the iem.

You can get a sk2000 mobile TX which can transmit selectable from 10, 30, 50, or 100 mW.

For video village or wireless video monitoring nothing is better then Zaxcom ERX1 ERX2. People are very impressed when they see adjustusting of the delay. They are not used to delay free monitoring. (:

Stereo setting, combined with a custom cable (or custom wired headset for that matter), which forces the left or right signal to both ears, does the trick. Left for village, right for boom opp. for example.

I use the Focus setting in combination with my G2 TX from the bag, since that is just a mono signal. If I set it to Stereo, only one ear of the headset works.

which are the receivers that can works in stereo mode? are the ek1039 stereo too or only the ek 300iem?

i was thinking to buy a sr 300 as transmitter and the ek1039 as receivers to use in the way you described.

• 3 years later...
I´m planning to use the Sennheiser G3 300 IEM as Rxs. For my Tx, will it make any difference if I use the SK100 vs EK100? Planning to use EW100 G3. I usually use Lectro so I´m kind of lost with Sennheisers. Thanks in advance.  

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you, but only one of those is a transmitter. So yes, it will make a difference