Ruggedized Cat5 Video feed

dcsimon

Michael: I found my bnc connectors here: http://www.frys.com/...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

and yes they are affixed with a locking nut on the inside of the casis, locktite can be added for extra stay-put-ness

Chris, I'd be happy to oblige, I'm located in North Atlanta. The Cat5 video/audio baluns won't allow for a balanced line, but can easily support an unbalanced line which can be adapted for an xlr connector if that's suitable. Send me an email: dana@simmons-audio.com

• 4 weeks later...

The Cat5 video/audio baluns won't allow for a balanced line...

But a Cat5 single pair is already symmetrical and wrapped around itself. If your gear is well balanced, it should be all you need for a line-level feed. (If not, then a 1:1 iso transformer would help a lot more than a balun.) See Steve Lampen's papers at Belden.com.

I haven't tried Cat5 for balanced audio under shoot conditions, but it does pretty well for unexpected runs in my post suite.

But a Cat5 single pair is already symmetrical and wrapped around itself. If your gear is well balanced, it should be all you need for a line-level feed. (If not, then a 1:1 iso transformer would help a lot more than a balun.) See Steve Lampen's papers at Belden.com.

I haven't tried Cat5 for balanced audio under shoot conditions, but it does pretty well for unexpected runs in my post suite.

Hey Jay, yes, it is possible, and I've read through the Belden papers, lots of good resources there. The problem is relying on the village end of these boxes (which are notoriously neglected) to be properly grounded and such to allow the balanced line.

The problem is relying on the village end of these boxes 

Then put a 1:1 iso in the box at their end. Treat their jack as balanced XLR, center tap of the secondary to ground and pin 1. That'll cover them for just about any kind of adapter they want to use (pin 2+1 or pin 2+3 to unbalanced, as well as grounded or ungrounded balanced).

The problem is relying on the village end of these boxes 

Then put a 1:1 iso in the box at their end. Treat their jack as balanced XLR, center tap of the secondary to ground and pin 1. That'll cover them for just about any kind of adapter they want to use (pin 2+1 or pin 2+3 to unbalanced, as well as grounded or ungrounded balanced).

Thats a reasonable solution. I'll add that functionality to my to-do list.

• 6 months later...

Diego, at the moment I am testing and researching an hd-sdi solution. I have known others who have used standard deff sdi over baluns like these, but the hd-sdi specifications require a much broader bandwidth.

I believe many utilize down converters on hd shoots.