Not another argument about gun control

Laurence

Btw, if a gun is harmless, why don't you hand it, load, to a 5 year old, just see ow harmless it is.

Now that that gun is in someone's hands, it's potential for danger is directly related to the training and intent of the person holding it.

It was harmless until you gave it to the 5 old. Which, btw, would be a very stupid thing to do.

So I thought maybe I'd give you the benefit of the the doubt. I grabbed my Glock and set it on the table here.

It still seems pretty harmless sitting there by itself, but I'll wait and see if it changes it's mind. There's a good game on tonight, I have time.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" this simple fact. Anybody against gun control, and who will lobby against it, is responsible for all of these mass murders. "

it is your (Henchman's) opinion, it is your belief, but it is not accepted as a fact.

Sorry, John, you got the wrong "simple fact"...

"The fact is ... guns were harmless up until the point of being in the hands of someone irresponsible. "

I'd say: The truth is ... guns were harmless up until the point of being in the hands of someone irresponsible. "

" Nowhere in the constitution does it say WHAT kind of gun you are allowed to own. "

BTW: it doesn't say "gun" it says "Arms", and that, too, has been ruled on.

Now that that gun is in someone's hands, it's potential for danger is directly related to the training and intent of the person holding it.

It was harmless until you gave it to the 5 old. Which, btw, would be a very stupid thing to do.

So I thought maybe I'd give you the benefit of the the doubt. I grabbed my Glock and set it on the table here.

It still seems pretty harmless sitting there by itself, but I'll wait and see if it changes it's mind. There's a good game on tonight, I have time.

Pretty pedantic response.

A nuclear warhead is harmless as well.

Wonder why everyone is so worried about Iran having one.

How so?

You said hand a gun to a 5 year old. I said that's when it becomes dangerous.

Apologies for not realizing how cryptic a response that was.

BTW, this gun sitting here still hasn't harmed anyone, but I'm keeping a close eye on it just for you.

Its waiting for you to turn your back John

In the mean time I am going to give my paintball marker to a 5 year old because its safe

" Oregon Mall Shooting Stopped By Licensed Gun Carrier "

notice how little coverage that got...

it sounds like that may be why the mall shooting ended so quickly...(2 dead)

the well armed nutzo saw someone, a good guy CCW, ready to fire back, and ended it.

as for the police: "minutes late when seconds count".

while we are at it:

" BTW, did you know hat paintball is one of the safest extreme sports, yet there are people who have been trying to outlaw it... They want to outlaw a harmless sport. "

well, actually, the gun control gov signed some relevant laws regarding toy/B-B/paintball "guns"...

although many consider that "style over substance" (not meaningful enough?) that is considered to be gun-control legislation... are you saying they shouldn't have ??

Edited by studiomprd

Actually, that very thing happened in China on the same day as the CT killings. Weird timing. A guy went into a school with a knife and killed 20+ people. In China....where the public is not allowed to have guns.

BULLSHIT! The guy in China (see a previous posting) went into an elementary school and attacked 20+ children with knives. Much damage BUT NO DEATHS!

To repeat, no dead children.

" My wife works in a school with a history of weapons problems. That school is maybe 9 miles from the White House and about 10 miles from Capitol Hill. I spend my days in fear of becoming a widower. "

Washington DC shares with Chicago IL, the strictest gun control laws in the USA

And it's within, supposedly, a coin toss away from Virginia, where any asshole with a handful of cash can buy whatever guns he wants to own.

Magazine capacity is a strawman argument at best.

If I have 10 10-round magazines, I have the exact same number of bullets, and I can change a magazine in under a second.

Nonsense. If you have ONE 3-5 round magazine (and why would a good hunter need any more?) you'd have 3-5 bullets usable in your non-automatic, non-semi-automatic rifle (and as a good hunter why would you need any more)?

The IRA began as a terrorist organization ( as labeled by the British Government ), their political arm was Sinn Fein, which is now a political party in Ireland.

The IRA began as a revolutionary organization dedicated to kicking the British out of Ireland. Sinn Fein has always been their main-stream political arm. The difference between "revolutionary" and "terrorist" depends on who is writing the history books. If things hadn't gone well George Washington and Thomas Jefferson would now be thought of as "terrorists".

The IRA began as a revolutionary organization dedicated to kicking the British out of Ireland. Sinn Fein has always been their main-stream political arm. The difference between "revolutionary" and "terrorist" depends on who is writing the history books. If things hadn't gone well George Washington and Thomas Jefferson would now be thought of as "terrorists".

Sinn Fein was always a political party separate from the IRA it was founded much sooner than the IRA it wasn't until the 1970's the party split and the Leaders of the IRA army council took control of the party that is when it became associated with the IRA

Sinn Fein was always a political party separate from the IRA it was founded much sooner than the IRA it wasn't until the 1970's the party split and the Leaders of the IRA army council took control of the party that is when it became associated with the IRA

If you think my comparison is a false equivalent, I'll retract what I said. For me it's close enough to my point about how power is obtained and maintained.

The difference between "revolutionary" and "terrorist" depends on who is writing the history books.

Agreed.

" Oregon Mall Shooting Stopped By Licensed Gun Carrier "

notice how little coverage that got...

it sounds like that may be why the mall shooting ended so quickly...(2 dead)

the well armed nutzo saw someone, a good guy CCW, ready to fire back, and ended it.

as for the police: "minutes late when seconds count".

while we are at it:

" BTW, did you know hat paintball is one of the safest extreme sports, yet there are people who have been trying to outlaw it... They want to outlaw a harmless sport. "

well, actually, the gun control gov signed some relevant laws regarding toy/B-B/paintball "guns"...

although many consider that "style over substance" (not meaningful enough?) that is considered to be gun-control legislation... are you saying they shouldn't have ??

its interesting to see a stronger move to outlaw non-lethal toys basically.

Yet getting some serious control over a very serious issue with deadly weapons used to commit mass murders, seems to be unattainable.

That some serious fucked up priorities and reasoning

It's not up to anyone to say that nobody needs a semi-automatic or even fully automatic weapon. It's not up to anyone to say nobody needs large capacity magazines. We all have different needs. The ranchers on the mexican border in texas and arizona would have a really strong argument about them not needing a semi automatic weapon.

Sorry I had my facts wrong about the China thing, but the point is kinda the same, even though nobody died. If someone that is actually lethal with a knife wanted to, they could have pulled off killing people. Was that guy not trying to kill people with a knife? Is being stabbed fun? The point is crazy people are going to kill other people. It happens all the time all over the place. In America, if you outlaw guns, the criminals will still have them (as evidenced by Chicago and the so called drug war). When you have gun free zones you have victim filled zones. Nobody goes into a shooting range and starts mowing down people. People who want to go on a shooting spree do so in areas they know the likelihood of a gun being present is slim to none.

I can't figure out how to imbed this video, so here's the link. (would like to know how to imbed for the future.)

Oregon Mall Shooting Stopped By Licensed Gun Carrier

The shooter stole the (licensed) AR-15 he used, along with a few mags, to kill two innocent people. If the AR-156 hadn't been available those two people would be alive.

It's not up to anyone to say that nobody needs a semi-automatic or even fully automatic weapon. It's not up to anyone to say nobody needs large capacity magazines. We all have different needs.

No, we all have different desires. Nobody needs a gun, they want one. It's up to society (i.e. the majority of the population) to determine if it's okay to own guns of any sort.

Sorry I had my facts wrong about the China thing, but the point is kinda the same

By getting your facts about the "China thing" so blatantly wrong you got the entire "point" wrong. With an AR-15 and a few 30 round mags the shooter in CT was able to kill, repeat kill, 26 people in 10 minutes. With only a knife at his disposal the "China guy" was able to wound, repeat wound, 20 people.

That's 20 wounded (knife) versus 26 dead (gun). Which, in your opinion, is the worse situation?

No, we all have different desires. Nobody needs a gun, they want one.

This is actually not the case. In certain areas of the country you need a gun. Like I said, the ranchers down on the border have protected their homes and their lives with guns. I have an uncle that works for the state of NY game (as in animals) department. Sometimes he needs a high powered rifle to take down a bear or other large animal that is a nuisance. Oh, he also hunts for his food. He hunts with both rifles and bows, but prefers the rifle. I have a high school buddy up in Alaska doing graduate work and they need to have guns to protect themselves from big bears. It's my feeling that it is not up to us to tell these people what kinds of guns they can and cannot own, as each situation is different.

I do not own a gun. If a burglar or rapist comes into my house while my family is here, and that person has a gun, I am defenseless against them. My wife and children are at risk. You don't need a gun until you do, and if that time comes that you need a gun and you don't have one, you are going to be powerless to deal with someone wishing to do you or your family harm if they have a gun. And if I am in that situation where I need a gun, it isn't up to anyone but me to decide what type of gun I need, how much ammunition I need to have, and how big the magazine in the gun is.

I guess no one needs a gun in Sweden, cus we rarely see them. Or perhaps it's because of our strict laws? Just saying.

It's about the person behind the trigger, obviously. If that guy had been given treatment for his ADHD or whatever other mental illness he suffered (?) he probably would've been able to contain his anger with the mother, or take it out in other ways, like playing drums..

People kill people if they need to, gun or not, but having easy access to guns is probably "inspiring". There's probably be less maniacal shootings with stricter gun control, but it wouldn't diminish the political or terrorist activities.

Oh, and I need a car, so I apply for a drivers license, pay lots of dough to take classes and permits, tests and trials. After a few months and a lot of cash later, it's in my hand. Up until that point I could get around without a car, so I didn't need one. I didn't have the money, or the time..

Who really needs a gun? If there's people taking care of the mentally ill, hunting threatening animals, taking care of the criminality, would you really need personal firearms? Not saying no one has the right to own a gun, just...I react when someone says they NEED a gun. For sports and hunting game, sure... But for protection? You should feel safe in your community without needing a gun. My 02..