Not another argument about gun control

Laurence

How can a gun ever be considered a harmless piece of metal? It is machine designed to shoot a lethal round at whatever it is aimed at. It is silly to argue otherwise. I am a gun owner and I take that responsibility very seriously. I also think it would be a good idea to implement some common sense laws and regulations concerning ownership and training/licensing, and even insurance for guns.

CrewC

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can a gun ever be considered a harmless piece of metal?

Crew, I'm saying the gun itself has no power until wielded by an individual. On it's own, as an object, it is harmless.

I also think it would be a good idea to implement some common sense laws and regulations concerning ownership and training/licensing, and even insurance for guns.

I agree. The gun show loophole should be done away with as well. Any purchase should require a full check, unless you already have your ccw.

Yep. More nonsensical responses.

Hardly, you seem to think that banning guns will stop mass killing sprees we are just pointing out you are wrong.

If that kid didn't walk in into that school with a gun what else could he have done? Homemade organic peroxide bomb perhaps? Hypothetical but very possible and potentially a much greater death toll.

Just because you are ignorant in your belief that you know best does not mean you are right.

Crew, I'm saying the gun itself has no power until wielded by an individual. On it's own, as an object, it is harmless.

I really don't understand the constant, childish antagonism. Everyone knows that a gun is not going to spring to life and start firing itself... this is an absurd diversion from the discussion at hand. I'll repeat, a gun is a tool that's sole design is to maim and kill. I'm so tired of all of the BS responses in this thread stating that well, knives can kill... cars can kill... fertilizers can kill... OF COURSE THEY CAN, but this isn't their sole designation.

I blame access to guns, I blame the media for turning murderers into celebrities in order to make a buck, and I blame the de-sensitising of our culture to violence. I would love to see reform in all of these areas! I DON'T understand how any compassionate human being can stand by and believe that not addressing any and all possible variables is an accepted course of action.

Let's talk hunting/protecting livestock/horses/whathaveyou: If you need a fully automatic assault rifle to protect you from a bear, if a rifle doesn't do the trick... guess what... you lose- Survival of the fittest. If a coyote intends to take out a horse... I'm sorry if you don't see it as being within your plan, but it is as nature intends. We can be some of the most savage and arrogant beings on this planet.

I realize that my position may be more extreme than most, but I say: ban assault rifles and handguns outright (these aren't used for sport or hunting), license and tighten control on single-shot rifles and shotguns.

I realize that my position may be more extreme than most, but I say: ban assault rifles and handguns outright (these aren't used for sport or hunting), license and tighten control on single-shot rifles and shotguns.

I'm not sure how extreme your POV is Wyatt, I know many cops and they want much more regulation concerning guns n ammo than most. Outrageous fire power is not a god or 2nd amendment given right regardless of how much fun one may have emptying a clip of 20 rounds in 2 seconds. What kind of society do we want in the US?

I also believe media in its many forms has blood on its hands. "If it bleeds it leads" is the stuff that the so called news sells. Movies n games that glorify violence n mayhem take us further from our better selves. We who buy and play them have skin in this wicked game. There is a more sane middle ground than the extreme sides suggest. Let us find that place for the betterment of all.

CrewC

If that kid didn't walk in into that school with a gun what else could he have done? Homemade organic peroxide bomb perhaps? Hypothetical but very possible and potentially a much greater death toll.

Hardly hypothetical. Not to give his name attention, but in 1995 in Oklahoma City, Timothy McVeigh used a rented box truck and fertilizer to blow up a building killing 168 people and injuring 800 (including kids in a day care).

Doesn't matter if you think he was part of a conspiracy or acted alone, he did all of that without a gun.

Hardly hypothetical. Not to give his name attention, but in 1995 in Oklahoma City, Timothy McVeigh used a rented box truck and fertilizer to blow up a building killing 168 people and injuring 800 (including kids in a day care).

Doesn't matter if you think he was part of a conspiracy or acted alone, he did all of that without a gun.

+1

You know, before moving to the US, I never had seen gated communities.

Why do you think that is?

Why don't you tell us. One day when you're King you can decree the rules to be enforced. Until then, if you don't like the rules here you're free to return to your home country.

Eric

Why don't you tell us. One day when you're King you can decree the rules to be enforced. Until then, if you don't like the rules here you're free to return to your home country.

Eric

America is my home country.

I've been fortunate to have lived in other countries though, where I gained a different, actual realworld experience of what gun control means.

People live in gated communities, and have guards at schools with locked doors because they are scared, and terrified by the outside world.

I never had the fear when Iw net to school, that someone might have a gun.

And in none of those countries did I have less rights.In fact, America is more oppressive to people's actual freedom, than most other countries. Except here, they think gun ownership makes them more free.

Nothing could be further from the truth.