Not another argument about gun control

Laurence

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" (Automatic, meaning the gun will replace a spent casing with a new bullet either by a single trigger pull or multiple pulls.) "

not the commonly accepted usage, or current definition...

trying to redefine semi-automatic firearms as automatic firearms won't fly!

" Shouldn't we be pressing our government to stop selling arms to other countries? "

not just selling, but giving... our government gives arms to "insurgents" if they are fighting a government we don't currently like, and we send our military to fight "insurgents" opposing governments we currently like, or might like...

" A person without a gun can't shoot 20 kids after waking up in a bad mod. "

Whoa, he woke up, killed his mother by shooting her in the face several times, and then took her car...

sorry, that is more than "a bad mood".

Officials said the rifle was purchased legally by Lanza's mother, Nancy, in 2010, well after family friends said Lanza's behavioral issues were clear... Ryan Kraft, a former baby-sitter of Lanza's, said Nancy Lanza told him never to leave her son alone, "never even to go to the bathroom or turn [my] back on him at any time."

" a gun is a tool that's sole design is to maim and kill. "

far to simplistic, incomplete, and not true... guns, firearms are tools of defense and protection as well.

this come back to how they are used, and thus the person holding the firearm.

The Second Amendment was written for flint lock muzzle loaders.... Then let's apply that same standard to your First Amendment right, ...

We'll be around to seize your computer this afternoon and you may send future posts to Jeff via the mail once you've learned to master writing with a quill pen on parchment.

Both the Conn school shooting that the Batman Massacre in Colorado occurred in 'Gun Free' zones, where any criminal knows that the people (sheeple) within that area will not be able to defend themselves. Criminals choose those areas specifically so that they can commit violent crimes without the possibility of being shot while committing a crime. In either of the massacre situations, had there been a lawfully armed individual, it may have saved most if not all of the lives lost on those occasions. ... Do not bury your head in the sand. If you ban guns, law abiding citizens won't have them, but the criminals will, and the sheeple become easy pickings.

Answering the origin question (remember?)...

seems, according to media reports, several pro-gun Democratic legislators are changing their minds.

Demonstrating rapidly shifting attitudes toward gun control in the aftermath of a massacre in a Connecticut school, many pro-gun Congressional Democrats — including Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the majority leader and a longstanding gun rights supporter — signaled an openness Monday to new restrictions on guns.

“It’s a complex problem that will require a complex solution,” the president’s spokesman, Jay Carney, said

another party with a dog in the fight: We can't let the tragedy further stigmatize children with neurodevelopment disorders.(autism)... the renewed debate to focus on what new classes of people should be denied gun ownership. In the Connecticut shooting, news reports have said, the 20-year-old gunman was autistic.

speaking of media reports: ..

Misinformation after mass killings is becoming almost as frequent as the massacres themselves... First Amendment also casualty of this : http://www.washingto...src=nl_opinions

Edited by studiomprd

Well written nonsense.

To say you can't control this violence with legislature is nonsense.

Other countries have done it.

There's a difference between not being able to do something, and simpy not WANTING to do anything.

Those who don't WANT to do anything use the excuse that legislature won't change anything.

How many more auto related deaths would there be if there were no speed limits?

Tell us then what are you doing about it. Apart from insulting members on this board?

Automatic: That's is why I put my quotes around it. I know what an automatic and a semi-automatic weapon is. I was just lumping them all into one group, since that is how a lot of people see them. You don't have to manually work a bolt and put the bullet one at a time by yourself. Some would see a revolver as automatic in the sence as you pull the trigger, a fresh chamber is moved into position to fire.

As for the law over in Scotland, if all cartridge guns are outlawed, does that mean they only use muzzle loading guns? Flint Locks?

Scott......

Ugly thread. If anyone here is so paranoid that they think any restriction on owning assault weapons, large mags and unlimited ammo is an affront to their freedom I'd like to see them tell that to the moms and dads in Newton. Remember, there is also a freedom of 'Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness' that takes precedence.

Billy Sarokin

" its 30 round mag means that i... the shooter was able to get off hundreds of rounds in a few minutes. "

sounds to me like there was some reloading...

Okay smart guy, multiple 30 round mags, but the point is that he probably couldn't have done as much damage if he'd walked in with a bolt action rifle and a few three round clips, you know, hunting gear...

Automatic: That's is why I put my quotes around it. I know what an automatic and a semi-automatic weapon is. I was just lumping them all into one group, since that is how a lot of people see them. You don't have to manually work a bolt and put the bullet one at a time by yourself. Some would see a revolver as automatic in the sence as you pull the trigger, a fresh chamber is moved into position to fire.

As for the law over in Scotland, if all cartridge guns are outlawed, does that mean they only use mussel loading guns? Flint Locks?

Scott......

I don't know. Use google.

But here's a little tidbit of information:

"The number of homicides per year committed with firearms remained between 49 and 97 in the eight years to 2006. There were two fatal shootings of police officers in England and Wales in this period, and 107 non-fatal shootings, an average of 9.7 per year over the same period.[58] In 2005/6 the police in England and Wales reported 50 gun homicides, a rate of 0.1 illegal gun deaths per 100,000 of population. 6.6% of homicides involved the use of a firearm.[58]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_the_United_Kingdom

I haven't noticed the UK being ruled by a tyrannical government since the gun control law passed there.

I was referring to your attitude towards other members not myself

But please answer my other question what are you actively going to do now to do your part to prevent this happening again

I have signed various petitions, and sent letters to my representative.

And post at various places trying to talk sense into people.

Usually it's like trying to convince a welfare recipient, living in a trailer park that the Republican Party doesn't care about them.

If a law was passed to get rid of all multiple shot weapons, how would they be retrieved from out in the public.

A buy back program with, perhaps, a two year time limit. You'd get more money for your turned-in guns the earlier you brought it in but you wouldn't lose money on it (always keep your receipts). If you're caught with an illegal gun after that two year period it'd be an automatic two years in jail, no parole. If you owned a historic piece or one with sentimental value that you wanted to display on your wall you could keep it as long as it was rendered permanently inoperable.

Okay smart guy, multiple 30 round mags, but the point is that he probably couldn't have done as much damage if he'd walked in with a bolt action rifle and a few three round clips, you know, hunting gear...

You assume

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbria_shootings

Shotgun and a bolt action rifle you know hunting gear 13 dead, imagine if he walked into a school what damage he could have done

"you know, hunting gear... "

by whose definition ?

" If you're caught with an illegal gun after that two year period it'd be an automatic two years in jail, no parole. If you owned a historic piece or one with sentimental value that you wanted to display on your wall you could keep it as long as it was rendered permanently inoperable. "

Didn't Adolph Hitler do something like that when he disarmed the people of Germany in the 1930's.... in the name of state security...

Edited by studiomprd

You assume

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbria_shootings

Shotgun and a bolt action rifle you know hunting gear 13 dead, imagine if he walked into a school what damage he could have done

Except those killings happened at various places, spread out over about a 2 hour period.

Hardly the case of walking in and killing 20 kids in a few minutes.

Now, feel free to explain the incredibly high rate of murders by firearms per capita, in the US, vs other western countries.

The Second Amendment was written for flint lock muzzle loaders.... Then let's apply that same standard to your First Amendment right, ...

We'll be around to seize your computer this afternoon and you may send future posts to Jeff via the mail once you've learned to master writing with a quill pen on parchment.

A completely inept analogy but why think you'd come up with something realistic?

Does Freedom of the Press only apply to printed broadsheets? Nope, it's been adapted in the modern world to apply to information transmitted over the airwaves and the Internet. THAT shows how interpretation of an 18th Century document can be changed to suit modern times.

In other words not a lot

Really. You think?

My letter writing campaign a few years ago, when the economy took a dumper, and chase bank illegally sold my house out from under me, resulted in the sale being rescinded three days after it took place. Partly due to my congressman getting involved.

2 years of emails, and me keeping my congressman involved, finally resulted in a loan modification that had previously been turned down.

As a result, unlike many others, we still have the house. And things are 180 degrees turned around, because of the industry recovering.

So, doing nothing, yields no change.

Really. You think?

My letter writing campaign a few years ago, when the economy took a dumper, and chase bank illegally sold my house out from under me, resulted in the sale being rescinded three days after it took place. Partly due to my congressman getting involved.

2 years of emails, and me keeping my congressman involved, finally resulted in a loan modification that had previously been turned down.

As a result, unlike many others, we still have the house. And things are 180 degrees turned around, because of the industry recovering.

So, doing nothing, yields no change.

That didn't stop any shootings though, I didn't ask about your finances

That didn't stop any shootings though, I didn't ask about your finances

It's a simple example of how emailing your representatives, does have an effect.

A response to your " so you did nothing" post.

You know, people thought nothing could be done about loud commercials.

Okay, MY TURN. I'm going to quote Billy Sarokin here: "Ugly thread". I would urge everyone here, especially the key players (and you know who you are) to tone it down a bit for the benefit of all. The personal insults and name-calling at the very least has to stop. I feel as well that the specific and detailed discussion that take the general form for their support, for or against, the whole idea "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" or "if guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns", and all the rest of the catchy slogans, these things should stop.