Not another argument about gun control

Laurence

After combing through most of the posts, here's my two cents worth. There are a number of varying factors that extend well beyond gun control, so this will be a gross over-generalization.

We live in a different moral climate today in the US. Period. From the founding of our country up through the early mid-part of of the 1900's most--but definitely not all--people believed in an afterlife. They believed there would be a judgment day for how they lived. Their beliefs dictated how they would behave and treat others. Discipline was never viewed as violence (punishment born out of anger), but as a loving act by parents to teach children that when you disobey it brings pain into your life. And men were not only present in their homes, but they led their families. I remember my father telling me how when he was growing up his family would always leave their ranch home unlocked so that if a stranger had a need he could come in their absence to eat, warm himself or borrow clothing. Keys were always left in the ignition of their vehicles. If someone needed to borrow a truck or car, they figured there was a good reason and that the vehicle would be returned. There was a deep respect for human life. And when the freedom and liberty of our country was threatened by an outside tyranny, men stepped up and sacrificed for their wife and children to live in a free country.

By contrast I think most of us would agree we live in a totally different culture/world today. Morality--nor the human heart--can be legislated. There will always be those who live without consequences or regard for the sanctity of life or for others. The real enemy is the human heart itself.

Condolences to all in Newtown, Connecticut as you mourn this season.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No argument will ever win this debate. people kill people, guns are only a tool in such task. you could ban them but people will find a way to get them making the situation far more dangerous then it is now. If people can not find guns they will probably find or create tools much worse on their own.

One thing i do believe is limiting the availability of high-capacity magazines and cartridges.

People like Reagan, GWB jr and now this sniveling, draft dodging miscreant LaPierre.

Henchman, you are as dangerous with your words as a lunatic with a firearm. You strafe everyone with your terrible aim and also commit a great deal of harm with your "friendly fire". You are extremely loose with the facts and that's my beef.

Ronald Reagan: Stateside service during World War II (1942–1945); Army Reserve (1937–1942), finished with the rank of Captain.

George W Bush Jr. First Lieutenant Texas Air National Guard (1968 -1973)

Your partisanship is understandable, your derision and insults expressed by you to those who have a different point of view is reprehensible. Your vitriol keeps many who would like to participate away because they do not want to be belittled by your words.

What part of a reasonable discussion are you so afraid of? You do not have to agree with opposite postions to yours, but at least respect their beliefs.

I have been reading your endless ad hominems for days and days and I for one will speak out and ask you politely to respect everyone's opinions, not just your own.

Merry Christmas

Henchman, you are as dangerous with your words as a lunatic with a firearm. You strafe everyone with your terrible aim and also commit a great deal of harm with your "friendly fire". You are extremely loose with the facts and that's my beef.

Ronald Reagan: Stateside service during World War II (1942–1945); Army Reserve (1937–1942), finished with the rank of Captain.

Your partisanship is understandable, your derision and insults expressed by you to those who have a different point of view is reprehensible. Your vitriol keeps many who would like to participate away because they do not want to be belittled by your words.

What part of a reasonable discussion are you so afraid of? You do not have to agree with opposite postions to yours, but at least respect their beliefs.

I have been reading your endless ad hominems for days and days and I for one will speak out and ask you politely to respect everyone's opinions, not just your own.

Merry Christmas

Reagan, unlike other, more famous actors, saw no active duty during WWII.

Lets not pretend partying it up while making movies in Hollywood during WWII came even close to flying combat missions over Europe. Like Clark Gable did. Or that GW bush jr used daddies influence to avoid seeing any active duty. And in fact has been unable to account even being where he was supposed to be, even while in the guard.

So, as much as you want to pretend otherwise, they in fact weaseled out of their obligations.

+1 to what Richard L. has said regarding Henchman's posts. As I have stated before, specifically as it relates to this thread, I would greatly appreciate it if those few who are offending the rest of us could take it down a notch or two. If any of you feel that you are not able to find a way to express your feelings and opinions in a civil manner, I would be happy to moderate your posts BEFORE they are posted for all to see. There are forums and blogs that operate this way but it is my hope that we will not have to go this route for JWSOUND.

You do depending on the class you shoot, there is a semi auto competition class

There's also a class in auto racing called "Formula One" with a current engine-size limit of 2.4 liters. But as time changes, regulations regarding engine specs change. Golf used to be an Olympic sports, then it wasn't, now it's going to be again.

Just eliminate the "semi auto competition class" and problem solved!

You hurt you own argument by holding up those two as examples of fine military service. Regan's "service" consisted of making training films and doing PR for war bonds. W's "service" consisted of him sitting on his ass in a safe stateside unit with no chance of deployment in a war zone, and playing "fly boy" to impress the babes.

If you want to hold a few Presidents up as examples may I suggest Harry Truman, Ike, JFK or George H.W. Bush?

Events.

Great report:

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2012/12/22/1173122/-Lawrence-O-Donnell-calls-out-Wayne-LaPierre

It never ceases to amaze me, how people who claim to be all about protecting the American way of life, and freedom. While. they give their support to people who weasel out of doing excactly that, when their country calls on them.

People like Reagan, GWB jr and now this sniveling, draft dodging miscreant LaPierre.

I'd love to know what your response has to do with my answer to your qusestion about semi-automatic shot guns, or doesn't that matter to you?

Eric

I'd love to know what your response has to do with my answer to your qusestion about semi-automatic shot guns, or doesn't that matter to you?

Eric

I did post a response. Or so I thought.

Semi automatic shotguns, if used for an event, should be confined to said event.

No reason to have ammunition or gun outside of the event,or outside of the shooting range where one would practice..

If you were a good shot you wouldn't need a semi-automatic.

Well... agreed... I don't hunt with one, many do... My Dove Shotgun is an Old Remington 870 Express.... Pump.. Have had it for a long long time...

You still only get three shots... I am usually getting off 2, only when necessary... and that depends on the kind of day I'm having. ::)

I have no problem if Henchmen chooses to have a different opinion to everyone that's his right, the problem is he thinks he is right and everyone is wrong no matter what and you insulted other members in the process

You argued with me in regards to paintball despite the fact I was a professional paintballer, I have met and played with the best players in the world and I was a technician for one of the biggest companies in the industry yet you considered me wrong on the subject or marbles and modifications ect.

All I am going to say is my Dad slept with a revolver under his pillow for 18 years as we needed the protection, he told me how dangerous these could be and asked me never to touch it not that he left it anywhere and I never did and it wasn't until I was 19 that I ever fired a gun.

Been shooting paintball markers from 15

Here's the thing that bothers me....when someone says "you don't need 'x'". I don't get how one person knows what someone else needs. I don't say "you should only use small pistols in paintball. you don't need anything bigger than that and high capacity hoppers" because I don't don't know a thing about paintball.

Here's the thing that bothers me....when someone says "you don't need 'x'". I don't get how one person knows what someone else needs. I don't say "you should only use small pistols in paintball. you don't need anything bigger than that and high capacity hoppers" because I don't don't know a thing about paintball.

Because most paintball pistols don't take a hopper without an after market add on ;-)

So, with 300 million guns in America. And the NrA and gun lovers against any restrictions.

In spite of facts that prove that strict gun control DOEShave a dramatic impact on the homicide rate.

How many guns do the pro-gun folks think we need to be safer?

600 million?

A billion?

Get rid of all restrictions so anybody can own anything they want?

Really? That is the solution?

Countries don't NEED nuclear weapons or WMD,s

But we are quick to infringe on other countries rights to have them.

So, with 300 million guns in America. And the NrA and gun lovers against any restrictions.

In spite of facts that prove that strict gun control DOEShave a dramatic impact on the homicide rate.

In other countries, but not really in the US. We have a really big gun culture here, and you can ban all the guns you want, there are still 300 million guns out there, and good luck rounding them up. There is no doubt in my mind that if there were no guns in the US there would be less homicide, but that just isn't going to happen.