Not another argument about gun control

Laurence

"The city of Los Angeles is holding its annual gun buyback event at two locations on Wednesday, Dec. 26...The event was moved up several months in response to the elementary school shooting that left 26 dead, including 20 children, in Newtown, Connecticut....LAPD officials will be on hand to take back firearms at the L.A. Memorial Sports Arena and the Van Nuys Masonic Temple from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m....The guns can be handed over completely anonymously, with no questions asked....The city is offering up to $100 Ralph’s gift cards for handguns, shotguns and rifles, and up to $200 gift cards for assault weapons.... Last May, police collected 1,673 firearms — a four-year low — including 53 assault weapons, 791 handguns, 302 shotguns and one anti-tank rocket launcher."

http://ktla.com/2012/12/26/city-of-l-a-holding-annual-gun-buyback-event/

Am I the only person who suspects that probably many of those nice guns were once somebody’s favorite hunting rifle before it got stolen in a home burglary?...All the police would have to do is copy down the serial number on each of those guns and run that against guns reported stolen. Not only could the cops return the cherished gun to its rightful owner, they could also track down whoever turned it in and arrest them for peddling stolen property....That would be a truly fine place to start getting guns out of the wrong hands.

Now, authorities have discovered another victim dead inside the home. The body is believed to be that of Spengler’s missing sister...Police say Spengler detailed his plan in a chilling note that he left behind. There was no clear motive, other than that Spengler wanted to kill as many people as possible.

another sick puppy...

"going to concerts and sporting events as well?"

that isn't "the government"

They lied to you.

of course, and now they have real badges instead of the "sewing" ones specifically to be more intimidating.

" Basically this means you just can't be stopped at random and be given a pat down or searched if you haven't done anything wrong. "

of course they do it hundreds of thousands of times in NYC, calling it "stop and frisk". The police claim they have a reasonable suspicion, but with arrests at just .3% (that is three tenths of 1%), I'd say their "reasonable" clocks need a recalibration.

" The feds said the pictures would not be saved, but then it came out that they lied about that, and they were saved. " of course, but now they have blue shirts with eppilets, to be more intimidating...

" do NOT show your naked body. "... another lie..? actually they do, but it is supposed to be blurred by the software... and that can be easily turned off...

" What it means is everyone is having their 4th amendment right violated. "

in the name of being PC and not profiling anybody. but that will fade away, too...

" At that point the TSA has the right to ask you to leave the airport. ", no, but At that point the TSA has the power to demand you to leave the airport., whether it is right or wrong..." backin 1973 airport security checks were exempted from the 4th amendment rule. " the 4th amendment is not a rule, it is a right, and the logic that the government used is, many believe, disputable.

" confined in good faith to that purpose " and after opening your bags as part of this good faith administrative procedure, they confiscate your personal possessions, in good faith, to later sell on eBay, etc.

Government and good faith = oxymoron

" If I need to get to NYC for business from San Diego, what's the best way to go? I need to take a plane. Driving... "

I need to get to HNL for business from LAX, what's the best way to go? I need to take a plane. Driving is not an option

" reinforcing the cockpit door, and convincing passengers they need to fight back. Everything else has been a waste of money. " security theater!

" You yourself want more guns in circulation. Do you want armedd guards at schools? "

yes, and yes

Why are their always two heavily armed guards at the Social Security office (Wilshire Blvd in Hollywood)?? all the other staff is behind bullet and bomb resistant walls and windows there is no money there...

" The number of things caught by the TSA that the public doesn't hear about is staggering."

...Including a loaded semi-automatic pistol carried by an anti-gun IL state Senator..

" iPads, water bottles, cupcakes... Yes, I feel much safer. " and don't forget all that fresh breast milk...

" Richard Ried? Stopped by passengers... The underwear bomber? Stopped by passengers.... Both of which, by the way, made it through security.. " but now that those things have been done, we take off our shoes, and get our genitals groped. I remember between those two, I kept saying that 'taking off shoes was just the beginning, what if Reid were the jockey shorts bomber'...then it actually happened.

we need to take our security lessons from the Israeli's

" The sad thing about the sign issue, is that we have a gun owner actively putting people in harms way. " maybe s/he is lying ??

" something whose sole purpose is to kill people. "

actually its sole purpose is protection from those who would do me harm.

" People planning home robberies are deterred by dogs " YESSSSS

" we should get rid of the military altogether. "

actually, we should revert the "Department of Defense" back to "Department of War" since that is what they do... and then rename DHS as DOD, since that is what they are supposed to be doing...

" Your freedom of speech is protected. But the outcome of your actions are not. " shouldn't that apply to all of our civil rights ??

" They buy the majority of their gunshot neighboring states. " then "they" are already breaking several more existing laws.

" The "go along to get along" mentality " will be followed by: 'We have ways of making you cooperate'...

" Personally I would make sure all my fingers were still there after shaking hands with a politician. " or a government official

and finally: " remind me to never fly on a plane with the Senator. "

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew someone would come up with that.

So now, we should be arming teenagers as well.

Just let the kids bring them to school, just make sure they have all the proper training and keep their weapons secured in a safe.. Hell why not. Firearms could be a subject just like Maths and English. Every school could have a shooting range, NRA could fund it,, then all our children will be armed and ready for the the worst.

How easy is it to own a gun in America? Can anyone walk off the street and purchase one?

Is there criminal checks? Mental health checks?

Here in Australia, you have to be licensed. belong to a gun club, or have a legal reason such as a farmer.

Even then semi and fully automatic guns are outlawed.

Guns seemed to be glorified like fast cars in America, even Nat Geo and Discovery channel produces lots of material on guns..

I never thought I would be talking about running and gunning quite this way...

If you go the legal route (and I've never purchased a gun, so this I'm going on what other people have told me), and go into a gun store, you have to go through a background check, and then there is usually some sort of waiting period before you can actually take delivery of your gun. Convicted felons are not allowed to own guns.

If you want to go the "illegal" route, you just head down to south central LA and pick up a MAC-10 or anything else they have down there.

I knew someone would come up with that.

So now, we should be arming teenagers as well.

No, and that's taking a big leap. What I said was, if there was a gun in the home and the teenager was properly trained on how to use it, they could protect himself. That's not straight up handing him a gun and saying "here, have fun".

Are guns inexpensive? Easy to obtain on the secondhand market where people aren't checked??. Does every firearm have to be registered like a car?

No, guns are expensive, at least the good ones. Easy to obtain in the second hand market? I don't know. I've never looked at going that route, but I could see how it could be if you have a group of friends that all have firearms and some may want to purchase one off of a friend. Every firearm is supposed to be registered like a car, but many are not. Most law abiding citizens register their guns, but I know some that don't for various reasons. Most criminals and gang members will not register their guns.

" If you go the legal route "

in CA that means a 10 day (exactly, to the minute!) waiting period, and purchases are limited to CA Attorney General's approved firearms...

Of course there is the Federally required instant background check (which provides the exact time to begin the CA waiting period),

and in order to initiate check (and purchase) you need multiple forms of ID to prove state residency, fingerprint(s) are taken, and also passing a written CA firearms competency quiz.

there is a CA ration of 1 handgun per 30 days (to the minute!), and there is a required drill when picking up the firearm to demonstrate proper handling capabilities.

all private transfers (aka gunshow loophole) must be so processed by a licensed dealer.

" Most criminals and gang members will not register their guns. " even when it is against the law, this again showing, yes, proving that more gun laws won't change the bad guys' behavior.!

Edited by studiomprd

No, guns are expensive, at least the good ones. Easy to obtain in the second hand market? I don't know. I've never looked at going that route, but I could see how it could be if you have a group of friends that all have firearms and some may want to purchase one off of a friend. Every firearm is supposed to be registered like a car, but many are not. Most law abiding citizens register their guns, but I know some that don't for various reasons. Most criminals and gang members will not register their guns.

Do guns have to be legally stored in a safe manner? So if violence happens could the owner of the gun be charged also with the crime?

How many guns can one person own? Do you pay yearly registeraion ?

In Australia I believe you need to attend a gun club so many times a year to keep your gun licence and gun.

" Do guns have to be legally stored in a safe manner? "

another point about CA legal...

there are signs prominently posted in LAX gun dealers premisis that safe srotage is required by...

wait for it...

law

see, more gun laws for bad guys to ignore

... and adults may be considered criminally liable (as well as civil liability) if a minor (any minor!) gets possession of the owners firearm

and breaks any laws while in possession.

" Is ammunition easy to obtain? "

generally, yes, but in LAX, ID is required, fingerprints taken, and sales records given to police weekly....

like the guns, not all ammo is legal.

BTW, CA has recently banned the open carrying of all firearms, thus solving a problem that never existed!

Edited by studiomprd

My point is about control in the family home...

Criminals will continue to be criminals and I'm sure for them an illegal weapon is as easy to get as scoring pot or ice.

The school shootings seemed to be from mentally ill teens having easy access to their parents firearms?

And if its easy to buy bulk ammunition this could also be a problem.. Is their limits to what you can buy at one time?

Surely the right to bare arms has limits? Or can you arm up like guerrillas?

In Australia we are rather isolated, so illegal weapons are to get unless your a biker,I'm sure plenty off illegal weapons come into the country via the Mexican border, I'm guessing its illegal to carry guns across the Mexican border?

So are you then admitting that having a firearm in the home is good for self defense? After all, if that teenager was trained in how to use it, he could defend himself. Problem solved.

Yes it is. The Trap club that I belong to has had a Youth Shooting program for 8 years where we teach 10-17yo kids about Trap shooting with 12 ga shotguns, probably the best home defense weapon ever. We have taught over 500 kids the safety rules and the skill sets to be proficient Trap shooters. The parents love that the program is available. BTW our Youth Shooting Team has won the state Trap Shooting championships in their division consistantly for the past 6 years.

Eric

My point is about control in the family home...

Criminals will continue to be criminals and I'm sure for them an illegal weapon is as easy to get as scoring pot or ice.

The school shootings seemed to be from mentally ill teens having easy access to their parents firearms?

And if its easy to buy bulk ammunition this could also be a problem.. Is their limits to what you can buy at one time?

Surely the right to bare arms has limits? Or can you arm up like guerrillas?

This sheds some light onto some important points. Guns in the home need to be secured properly, not just laying about in the closet. a gun safe that the children do not know the code to (unless they are older and responsible). I don't know if there is a limit to ammo, and I don't think there should be, but that's just me.

Do guns have to be legally stored in a safe manner? So if violence happens could the owner of the gun be charged also with the crime?

How many guns can one person own? Do you pay yearly registeraion ?

In Australia I believe you need to attend a gun club so many times a year to keep your gun licence and gun.

Firearms here do not have to be stored in a special way. You can own as many as you can afford and there is no yearly fee or requirement to belong to or attend a gun club. You can buy ammunition in any place that's licensed to sell it even Walmart. There is also no restriction on how much ammo you can have in your home. There are shooters who have over 10,000 rounds of 12ga shotgun ammo in their homes for target use.

Eric

Do guns have to be legally stored in a safe manner?

We have federal law which is pretty basic on controlling purchases.

State and local laws are over the place so it varies.

Some types of ammunition are restricted but it is generally over the counter.

The usual storage place for guns where I live is in the back window of your truck.

Weapons that are concealed come into dubious legal situations,

If you display them openly you are perfectly legal here.

Again local laws can vary quite a lot so what may be fine here could be legal or illegal somewhere else.

Im not Anti guns, my grand father won numerous trophies shooting.

From the outside looking in your gun laws seem very lax

Is there laws against automatic weapons??

In Australia "Category R/E: Restricted weapons: machine guns, rocket launchers, assault rifles, flame-throwers, anti-tank guns, Howitzers, artillery, etc. can be owned by collectors in some states provided that these weapons have been rendered permanently inoperable"

To own a hand gun in Australia Category H: Handguns including air pistols and deactivated handguns. This class is available to target shooters. To be eligible for a Category H firearm, a target shooter must serve a probationary period of six months using club handguns, and a minimum number of matches yearly to retain each category of handgun.

" Category R/E: Restricted weapons: machine guns, rocket launchers, assault rifles, flame-throwers, anti-tank guns, Howitzers, artillery, etc. "

what is difficult is the exact (legal) definition of 'assault rifles', and 'etc.'

fully automatic weapons (aka machine guns) are specially licensed, and severely regulated

Firearms here do not have to be stored in a special way. You can own as many as you can afford and there is no yearly fee or requirement to belong to or attend a gun club. You can buy ammunition in any place that's licensed to sell it even Walmart. There is also no restriction on how much ammo you can have in your home. There are shooters who have over 10,000 rounds of 12ga shotgun ammo in their homes for target use.

Eric

Just let the kids bring them to school, just make sure they have all the proper training and keep their weapons secured in a safe.. Hell why not. Firearms could be a subject just like Maths and English. Every school could have a shooting range, NRA could fund it,, then all our children will be armed and ready for the the worst.

How very depressing......

America's is heading for a kind of event horizon of guns and gun ownership and will spiral down into......

fully automatic weapons (aka machine guns) are specially licensed, and severely regulated

As they should be.

what is difficult is the exact (legal) definition of 'assault rifles', and 'etc.'

Anything with an AR15/AK receiver should fall under the classification and have the same restrictions as machineguns (as well as rifle magazines over 10 rounds). All this dancing around with "bayonet rungs" and "stock type" is ridiculous and why the assault weapons ban of 94 is far too lenient.

There are no words....unless that's sarcasm ???

How easy is it to own a gun in America?

Really freakin' easy. Got a drivers' license? No problem. Got any other form of ID that looks reasonably official? A little difficult but not that hard. Got some fake ID that looks good? Meh, it might take a while but not more than a couple of days if you really want one.