Not another argument about gun control

Laurence

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, you might kill one person by beating them with it, but after that the crowd would either have (1) dissipated (2) overpowered you.

Well considering it is not very difficult to convert a paintball marker to fire something other than a .68 caliber paintball or to up the velocity of the projectile as I said the marker has the potential to be as deadly as a gun.

That is also excluding the the pressurized air canister at 4500 psi can be made into a small bomb

As I said anyone with half a brain ;-)

There have been case in the UK of people shot dead with BB guns converted to fire lethal projectile's.

So is a marker or a real gun deadly or the person behind it?

If we could show those that made the second amendment the way things are today....

It was something made in 1791, it doesn't apply anymore. The same steps that Australia took in the 90's should now be taken in the US. Assault weapons should be banned.

This is actually not the case. In certain areas of the country you need a gun. Like I said, the ranchers down on the border have protected their homes and their lives with guns. I have an uncle that works for the state of NY game (as in animals) department. Sometimes he needs a high powered rifle to take down a bear or other large animal that is a nuisance. Oh, he also hunts for his food. He hunts with both rifles and bows, but prefers the rifle. I have a high school buddy up in Alaska doing graduate work and they need to have guns to protect themselves from big bears. It's my feeling that it is not up to us to tell these people what kinds of guns they can and cannot own, as each situation is different.

I do not own a gun. If a burglar or rapist comes into my house while my family is here, and that person has a gun, I am defenseless against them. My wife and children are at risk. You don't need a gun until you do, and if that time comes that you need a gun and you don't have one, you are going to be powerless to deal with someone wishing to do you or your family harm if they have a gun. And if I am in that situation where I need a gun, it isn't up to anyone but me to decide what type of gun I need, how much ammunition I need to have, and how big the magazine in the gun is.

I agree. But none of these cases require an assault weapon. An assault weapon is made for one thing, killing people as efficiently as possible. Sure, there's hobbyists that are big into practicing their groupings with an AK-47. They should be forced to have their rifles stored for them at gun ranges, away from the public.

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you. (Applause.) Thank you, Governor. To all the families, first responders, to the community of Newtown, clergy, guests -- Scripture tells us: “…do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away…inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands.”

We gather here in memory of twenty beautiful children and six remarkable adults. They lost their lives in a school that could have been any school; in a quiet town full of good and decent people that could be any town in America.

Here in Newtown, I come to offer the love and prayers of a nation. I am very mindful that mere words cannot match the depths of your sorrow, nor can they heal your wounded hearts. I can only hope it helps for you to know that you’re not alone in your grief; that our world too has been torn apart; that all across this land of ours, we have wept with you, we’ve pulled our children tight. And you must know that whatever measure of comfort we can provide, we will provide; whatever portion of sadness that we can share with you to ease this heavy load, we will gladly bear it. Newtown -- you are not alone.

As these difficult days have unfolded, you’ve also inspired us with stories of strength and resolve and sacrifice. We know that when danger arrived in the halls of Sandy Hook Elementary, the school’s staff did not flinch, they did not hesitate. Dawn Hochsprung and Mary Sherlach, Vicki Soto, Lauren Rousseau, Rachel Davino and Anne Marie Murphy -- they responded as we all hope we might respond in such terrifying circumstances -- with courage and with love, giving their lives to protect the children in their care.

We know that there were other teachers who barricaded themselves inside classrooms, and kept steady through it all, and reassured their students by saying “wait for the good guys, they’re coming”; “show me your smile.”

And we know that good guys came. The first responders who raced to the scene, helping to guide those in harm’s way to safety, and comfort those in need, holding at bay their own shock and trauma because they had a job to do, and others needed them more.

And then there were the scenes of the schoolchildren, helping one another, holding each other, dutifully following instructions in the way that young children sometimes do; one child even trying to encourage a grown-up by saying, “I know karate. So it’s okay. I’ll lead the way out.”

As a community, you’ve inspired us, Newtown. In the face of indescribable violence, in the face of unconscionable evil, you’ve looked out for each other, and you’ve cared for one another, and you’ve loved one another. This is how Newtown will be remembered. And with time, and God’s grace, that love will see you through.

But we, as a nation, we are left with some hard questions. Someone once described the joy and anxiety of parenthood as the equivalent of having your heart outside of your body all the time, walking around. With their very first cry, this most precious, vital part of ourselves -- our child -- is suddenly exposed to the world, to possible mishap or malice. And every parent knows there is nothing we will not do to shield our children from harm. And yet, we also know that with that child’s very first step, and each step after that, they are separating from us; that we won’t -- that we can’t always be there for them. They’ll suffer sickness and setbacks and broken hearts and disappointments. And we learn that our most important job is to give them what they need to become self-reliant and capable and resilient, ready to face the world without fear.

And we know we can’t do this by ourselves. It comes as a shock at a certain point where you realize, no matter how much you love these kids, you can’t do it by yourself. That this job of keeping our children safe, and teaching them well, is something we can only do together, with the help of friends and neighbors, the help of a community, and the help of a nation. And in that way, we come to realize that we bear a responsibility for every child because we’re counting on everybody else to help look after ours; that we’re all parents; that they’re all our children.

This is our first task -- caring for our children. It’s our first job. If we don’t get that right, we don’t get anything right. That’s how, as a society, we will be judged.

And by that measure, can we truly say, as a nation, that we are meeting our obligations? Can we honestly say that we’re doing enough to keep our children -- all of them -- safe from harm? Can we claim, as a nation, that we’re all together there, letting them know that they are loved, and teaching them to love in return? Can we say that we’re truly doing enough to give all the children of this country the chance they deserve to live out their lives in happiness and with purpose?

I’ve been reflecting on this the last few days, and if we’re honest with ourselves, the answer is no. We’re not doing enough. And we will have to change.

Since I’ve been President, this is the fourth time we have come together to comfort a grieving community torn apart by a mass shooting. The fourth time we’ve hugged survivors. The fourth time we’ve consoled the families of victims. And in between, there have been an endless series of deadly shootings across the country, almost daily reports of victims, many of them children, in small towns and big cities all across America -- victims whose -- much of the time, their only fault was being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

We can’t tolerate this anymore. These tragedies must end. And to end them, we must change. We will be told that the causes of such violence are complex, and that is true. No single law -- no set of laws can eliminate evil from the world, or prevent every senseless act of violence in our society.

But that can’t be an excuse for inaction. Surely, we can do better than this. If there is even one step we can take to save another child, or another parent, or another town, from the grief that has visited Tucson, and Aurora, and Oak Creek, and Newtown, and communities from Columbine to Blacksburg before that -- then surely we have an obligation to try.

In the coming weeks, I will use whatever power this office holds to engage my fellow citizens -- from law enforcement to mental health professionals to parents and educators -- in an effort aimed at preventing more tragedies like this. Because what choice do we have? We can’t accept events like this as routine. Are we really prepared to say that we’re powerless in the face of such carnage, that the politics are too hard? Are we prepared to say that such violence visited on our children year after year after year is somehow the price of our freedom?

All the world’s religions -- so many of them represented here today -- start with a simple question: Why are we here? What gives our life meaning? What gives our acts purpose? We know our time on this Earth is fleeting. We know that we will each have our share of pleasure and pain; that even after we chase after some earthly goal, whether it’s wealth or power or fame, or just simple comfort, we will, in some fashion, fall short of what we had hoped. We know that no matter how good our intentions, we will all stumble sometimes, in some way. We will make mistakes, we will experience hardships. And even when we’re trying to do the right thing, we know that much of our time will be spent groping through the darkness, so often unable to discern God’s heavenly plans.

There’s only one thing we can be sure of, and that is the love that we have -- for our children, for our families, for each other. The warmth of a small child’s embrace -- that is true. The memories we have of them, the joy that they bring, the wonder we see through their eyes, that fierce and boundless love we feel for them, a love that takes us out of ourselves, and binds us to something larger -- we know that’s what matters. We know we’re always doing right when we’re taking care of them, when we’re teaching them well, when we’re showing acts of kindness. We don’t go wrong when we do that.

That’s what we can be sure of. And that’s what you, the people of Newtown, have reminded us. That’s how you’ve inspired us. You remind us what matters. And that’s what should drive us forward in everything we do, for as long as God sees fit to keep us on this Earth.

“Let the little children come to me,” Jesus said, “and do not hinder them -- for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.”

Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

God has called them all home. For those of us who remain, let us find the strength to carry on, and make our country worthy of their memory.

May God bless and keep those we’ve lost in His heavenly place. May He grace those we still have with His holy comfort. And may He bless and watch over this community, and the United States of America.

I will use a gun outside, but indoors I prefer a Sennheiser 50. But seriously I think this sums up the situation...

Reposted from a friend of a friend:

Tough to argue with plain and simple talk from Australia, posted in a NY Times blog today:

"From 1984-96 we had a over a dozen of these slayings in Australia, largely copycat killings prompted by media coverage in the US and at home. After one lone nut gunman killed 35 people in 1996, Prime Minister John Howard banned all semi-automatic rifles and pump-action shotguns, and introduced highly restrictive gun licensing laws. Hundreds of thousands of guns were bought back and destroyed.

Thanks for posting this Alistair

Do you know how many mass shootings we have had since then? Not one. In addition, firearm homicides have dropped 59% with no corresponding increase in non-firearm murders.

People kill people, not guns? Rubbish. Guns give the mentally ill ruthlessly efficient killing power, and escalate domestic violence from assault to homicide. The US needs to act now, and the gun lobby needs to wake up to its culpability."

Senator, you are absolutely wrong on at least one account and probably more. I've been pretty neutral on gun control but now I'm totally for it. The availability of automatic assault weapons, high capacity mags, the lack of restrictions in buying a weapon at gun fairs and unrestricted availability of ammo are insane. I believe now that you should have to get a license to buy a gun and ammo. The 2nd amendment was written at a time when bearing arms meant a sword and a muzzle loaded rifle. The founders couldn't anticipate automatic weapons, machine guns, rpgs, etc, so it's obvious to any sane person that there are limits to the 2nd amendment.

Here's the actual amendment as passed by congress in it's entirety

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Notice the intent, that arms are necessary for the security of the STATE and the third word is REGULATED. When the courts interpret the founders they take intent into consideration. There is plenty of leeway in this amendment to allow people to bear arms but also to allow the state to regulate that right. It's time. Actually it's way past time. Maybe you can't stop these nuts but you can severely reduce the damage they do.

Well considering it is not very difficult to convert a paintball marker to fire something other than a .68 caliber paintball or to up the velocity of the projectile as I said the marker has the potential to be as deadly as a gun.

That is also excluding the the pressurized air canister at 4500 psi can be made into a small bomb

As I said anyone with half a brain ;-)

There have been case in the UK of people shot dead with BB guns converted to fire lethal projectile's.

So is a marker or a real gun deadly or the person behind it?

Again. It's impossible,to modify. People have done test using marbles, and the gun and barrel are destroyed by the marble.

I didn't read every response on this thread so if this was mentioned before then oh well. It is my belief that a HUGE reason why these events keep occurring is because we keep publicizing them and making celebrities out of these F'd up people. If I was the President or Law Maker my first decision, aside from tighter gun control, would be to prohibit media sources from posting photos of the shooter. Yes, this seems like a far stretch since the revenue made from publicizing these events is incredible. However, I really don't think we need to see their photos, know their names, etc. via the front page of the news or internet sites.

The first thing I thought about when I read a headline stating "...one of the worst school shootings in history" was that some other psycho muther f'kr is going to want to top this and get his/her mugshot on the news.

My wife is a kindergarden teacher and has the exact amount of kids in her class as were massacred this last time around. Having two small children myself I couldn't help but feel extreme sadness and compassion for the parents. When it comes to kids I have no remorse or forgiveness for ANYONE who harms them!

I guess we should let everyone have nuclear arms and RPG access as well.

He'll, why not let anyone have hand grenades and tanks?

If that's the case, why don't we outlaw cattle guns too? One was used very effectively to kill several humans in No Country for Old Men.

I am totally in favor of revisiting gun laws in the US, but there's a very real argument to be made for the curtailing our rights (and I assure you I'm not one of those NRA-card-wielding 2nd Amendment nuts) but, most of all, crazy people intent on harming others will find ways to do so.

The greatest effort should be expended in identifying these nutcases, in not giving them publicity (I like the "douchebag" idea), and in giving them proper treatment - not in taking away the rights of 99.9% of the law-abiding population.

Do you drive a car? I ride a motorcycle, and I often encounter assholes in SUVs who actively try to run me off the road. There have been cases in which drivers have been successfully prosecuted for "assault with a deadly weapon" (i.e. their cars,) most recently an ER doctor who injured a byclist in one of the canyon roads here. He lost his medical license and is doing time.

How would you feel if I started advocating for a law that would reduce the power or size of cars you're able to buy? Do you see how your argument makes no rational sense?

I get that you're afraid of guns, and I, for one, can't see why a civilian would want or need to have an assault rifle - but I also don't get why would anybody spend half a million bucks on an Italian sports car that goes to 60mph in three seconds, but can't get through the driveway at the local Whole Foods market. But guess what? The asshole with the Italian car has every right to spend his money any way he wants, as long as he's obeying all the relevant laws. Who am I to tell him to invest his money in my next movie instead?

Thanks,

BK

Then there is this perspective from the CDF.

"calls on Americans to honor the shooting victims by boycotting violent video games, movies and other products that perpetuate a culture of gun violence."

http://www.examiner.com/article/children-s-defense-fund-honor-newtown-with-action-boycott-gun-violence

Bah, no one one actually dies in a movie or a video game. it's all make believe not reality. Perhaps that's what the perception/comprehension problem is in the minds of the shooters. They think it's a game and as we know it's not.

Eric

I have 4 young sons, and I don't let them anywhere near violent video games. I feel that kids that have grown up playing shooters like Call of Duty somehow have the empathy part of their brain switched off (I'm no scientist or psychologist...that's just my opinion). I'm talking about starting from an early age, like 6 or 7. I recently purchased Halo 4 for myself. I hated it, so I sold it right away on Craig's list. The guy met me and gave it to his young son, who couldn't have been older than 7. I didn't say anything to the dude because I didn't want to start something, but man, I'd never give my kids a game like that. I keep them playing things like Wii Sports, Little Big Planet, and Super Mario Brothers.

So combine that with tv shows that are really violent, movies that are violent, and worst of all, the news, which really glorifies this stuff, and it is easy to whack out a kid at an early age. We are very careful with what our children consume in terms of media, and I feel too many people aren't.

I'm not going to say violent media is the only cause for shootings like this, but it is a contributor.

Since you seem to have half a brain, please explain in detail and, if you can, present an example of this being done in the past.

Most paintball markers can easily fire to rates of 360+fps from factory without modification which is roughly 245 mph

We have had cases where children have been firing modified darts out of paintball markers. So 12 year olds can figure out how to fire dangerous projectiles what do you think an adult with an intent to kill can do?

Again a 4500 psi tank and some buckshot or nails you do the maths I'm not about to write the terrorists handbook here but if you think its impossible to modify these things to be deadly then you are very naive.

The point off all this a gun, a paintball marker, a car by itself does not kill anybody but put them in the hands of someone deranged they will find a way to kill people

The Stay Puft Marshmallow man came alive in Ghostbusters, Doctor Who flies around in a blue police box and the Borg are coming to get you.

Seriously? I get three replies stating that movies are not reality? Out of the whole argument I tried to make, you guys hung on that one item?

OK, how about this news story:

http://tinyurl.com/yen45vu

BK

" And it's within, supposedly, a coin toss away from Virginia, "

but as guns are illegal in the District... there should be no gun crimes in the District.

(of course, that is absurd, but so is the belief that a gun law will prevent a crime. -- and keep in mind all the crimes that were committed

last week, which had nothing to do with the fact that the guns were purchased and owned legally.

" Nobody needs a gun. " (several quotes of this sentiment)

NOBODY needs a Ferrari.

“[bushmasters] are absolutely a blast to shoot with. They’re fast. They’re accurate.” The Bushmaster is a civilian version of the M-16 military rifle and its descendents. The flash suppressors, designed to hide the muzzle flash from the enemy, have no practical use at the average shooting range, but they look fierce. Although not as powerful as many popular hunting rifles, such as the .30-06 caliber, whose bullet and cartridge are both larger, the weapon is made for high performance, with a large magazine and rapid rate of fire... So is the Glock, a rapid-fire handgun whose sleek, modernistic design arose from its inventor’s desire to protect Austrian soldiers from their own clumsiness. Gaston Glock wanted to find a way to avoid accidental discharges when the handgun was dropped. It was designed for combat, with a large magazine, a light trigger and no external safety. Its molded black plastic frame flexes to absorb recoil.

" If I was the President or Law Maker my first decision, aside from tighter gun control, would be to prohibit media sources from posting photos of the shooter. " or the name(s)...

that is a fine sentiment, as long as we are trashing our rights... Freedom of the press is no longer relevant...

" you are absolutely wrong "

well, if I'm going to be wrong, I should be absolutely wrong...(unless it is just an opinion that I am wrong).

strict gun control laws often do not prevent determined killers from committing deadly mass-shootings. “In 1996, a man went into a gym class in Scotland, [and] killed sixteen 5-and 6-year-olds and the teacher,” Will said. “A few years ago in Norway, a young, deranged, young man killed, what, 69 people on an island, mostly teenagers. Connecticut has among the toughest gun laws in this country. Didn’t help. Scotland and Norway have very tough gun laws. Didn’t help.” ... the assault weapons ban that was part of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, which expired in 2004, did nothing statistically measurable to prevent violent wide-scale shootings.

“Remember, we did have a ban on assault weapons,” . “When we put the ban in place, these incidents did not really decline in a measurable way, and when we took it off, they did not increase in a measurable way.”

“We’re all horrified by this thing,” said John R. Lott, an economist whose book, “More Guns, Less Crime,” suggests that gun-control laws have had the unintended consequence of making mass shootings more likely. Referring to specific places, such as schools, Lott said, “The frustration a lot of people feel is what strikes me as most obvious: All these attacks in the U.S., and all of these attacks in Europe, except one, keep occurring where guns are banned.”

Gun-rights advocates say that, as horrible as this crime was, there does not appear to be a gun law that would have altered the equation, short of a weapons ban... Lott said he is not a defender of the Second Amendment. He is not even a gun enthusiast. He was forbidden to have a BB gun as a child, and he and his wife would not let their children have toy guns. But Lott said the data do not lie: Since 1950, in every public mass shooting in which three or more people have died, the setting has in almost every case been one where guns are banned, such as schools.

“[if] evil wants to strike, it’s going to strike,” he said. “Everybody in that school was disarmed — that’s gun control. And once [Lanza] started, there was no way to stop him. And the police didn’t get there in time for all those children and adults.”

“We’ve created a ‘gun-free zone,’ a killing zone, for the sickest criminals on the face of the Earth,” says R. Lee Wrights, vice chairman of the Libertarian Party, in the aftermath of the Newtown, Conn., killings. “And we’ve made the children of this country the victims.”... The 1990 Federal Gun Free Schools Zone Act, which prohibits carrying firearms on school grounds in most cases, “criminalizes the right to self-defense in places filled with the most vulnerable citizens,”

would-be shooters would be deterred by “merely the knowledge” that armed people could be present in a potential target area. “They’re not going to walk into a police station, and why not? Because that’s where the guns are,” Mr. Wrights observes, adding that after 9/11, Congress allowed firearms in airline cockpits.

and IMO, POTUS (along with all that entourage) injecting himself into the memorial service, while not unexpected, was political grandstanding.

Edited by studiomprd