Questions about neumann81.

faxingberlin

Hi,

Congratulations on getting a fantastic microphone. In my experience, it is normal for this microphone to want more power than others and for the gain on your mixer to be higher than some other microphones. I have also found you have to wait about 10 seconds to have sound after you give it phantom power.

Once it is working, it is a wonderful microphone for many situations.

Adriano

I have two Neumann's and have noticed the same thing. I am not sure if there is really a way around this. Something I did notice, however, was that the noise level on the gain up became much less noticeable when I started using it with my 552. I originally had a 442.

I know this doesn't help you much with a Nomad, but food for thought, I suppose.

OK, I can't help myself-I'm starting to get like the Senator...

A quick look at the published data sheet for the KMR 81 and the MKH 60 tells us this:

Sensitivity Rating:

KMR-81i 18mV/Pa (into 1000 ohms)

MKH-60 12.5mV/Pa (into 1000 ohms)

The definition of 1 Pa is: 94 dB SPL @ 1 kHz

OK, so you don't want to do the math (neither do I these days). Go to: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-transferfactor.htm

A quick calculation tells you this:

KMR-81i = -34.89 dB (re 1V/Pa)

MKH-60 = -38.06 db (re 1V/Pa)

So, based on this information, we see that the KMR-81i is actually a little more than 3 dB more sensitive than the MKH-60.

Conclusion: There is either something wrong with your mike, or your mixer is not supplying sufficient voltage or current to the mike (the phantom supply for most of the Neumann and Sennheiser mikes needs to be 48 volts +/- 4 volts).

--S

OK, I can't help myself-I'm starting to get like the Senator...

A quick look at the published data sheet for the KMR 81 and the MKH 60 tells us this:

Sensitivity Rating:

KMR-81i 18mV/Pa (into 1000 ohms)

MKH-60 12.5mV/Pa (into 1000 ohms)

The definition of 1 Pa is: 94 dB SPL @ 1 kHz

OK, so you don't want to do the math (neither do I these days). Go to: http://www.sengpiela...nsferfactor.htm

A quick calculation tells you this:

KMR-81i = -34.89 dB (re 1V/Pa)

MKH-60 = -38.06 db (re 1V/Pa)

So, based on this information, we see that the KMR-81i is actually a little more than 3 dB more sensitive than the MKH-60.

Conclusion: There is either something wrong with your mike, or your mixer is not supplying sufficient voltage or current to the mike (the phantom supply for most of the Neumann and Sennheiser mikes needs to be 48 volts +/- 4 volts).

--S

Or the 81i's on-board 10 dB pad is engaged.

I'd suspect that before most anything else.

Happy Christmas!

Jim